Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Many may recall that the BOR adopted a policy  against the usage of tuition and student fees for transition to D1 back in 2003 when SDSU got their approval. I would be surprised if the BOR made a waiver on this policy. So USD has to work within that frame work and develope their own business plan.  I cant see the legislature being overly sympathic to USD either. The Volente had a article about their fund drive and how they raised 120 million. The odd part is that this number of 120 million is never broken down as to source and given for what purpose. This could be done without disclosing names, but people like Mr. Sanford probably enjoy reading their name. I heard a rumor that  the USD Foundation included estate planning in this amount. People while still living can change their minds, so a bequest made as an estate plan is not a bird in the hand, until that person is incapicitated or dead. I wish some one at USD in the know of the number cruching would read this board and take time to explain it to me. As I have some doubts about the 120 million and what it all means. They have gone to the legislature for a number of things besides the Dome roof such as the Med building. It seems to me to be all hat and no cattle.

Comment

Actually, I don't think the BOR has to approve the move. If I remember correctly, the President of each institution has the power to make these decisions. If memory also serves correctly, the presentation to the BOR was made at the request of SDSU to provide info to the BOR and the public as to what and why SDSU was making this move. Because of the announcement and the position of some in the legislature and other places, the BOR adopted the policy regarding the use of tuition and fees for D1 athletics.

As for helping them in the transition, I suspect that everyone at SDSU will follow Stig's lead on this. Remember after the MT game when they ran the fake punt at the end, but Stig still initiated the post game hand shake. He said after the game that he is going to conduct himself by his standards, not anyone else's. I'm sure he has been friendlier in other post-game handshakes, just like the athletic department has been more excited by other schools that have called for help, as in how to go about establishing equistrian programs.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The Board of Regents did have to vote on letting SDSU move Division I. Even if the NCAA didn't technically require it; the Regents could cut funding or do anything they wanted to reign in a school that didn't go through their processes.

Comment

I'll have to defer to el_presidente on this, but as I remembered it was not only that the NCAA that did not require it, but BOR did not officially require it. Going the process was done because of the funding, etc. that BOR could affect. However, I'm sure el_presidente has had to have more involvement than I and will chalk this up to getting older and having teenaged kids.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think your right but I know the BOR did vote on it. Whether or not they had to officially I don't know since I was just a freshman back then, but I do remember them voting.

Comment

I believe the Regents have the power and responsibility to approve changes in athletic classifications within the SDBOR system---I'm pretty sure they had to approve Northern's move to D-II as well as SDSU's move to D-I.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                I believe the Regents have the power and responsibility to approve changes in athletic classifications within the SDBOR system---I'm pretty sure they had to approve Northern's move to D-II as well as SDSU's move to D-I.
                This would be correct. I for one hope that the BOR scrutinizes USD's decision as much as they did SDSU's. Granted, the people on the BOR are somewhat different then they were a few years ago, but the responsibility is still there to make certain that the best decision is made for a University. Seems to me that USD can decide whatever it wants, but the BOR should have the final say. Lot of pressure on that group of people.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                  Actually, I don't think the BOR has to approve the move. If I remember correctly, the President of each institution has the power to make these decisions. If memory also serves correctly, the presentation to the BOR was made at the request of SDSU to provide info to the BOR and the public as to what and why SDSU was making this move. Because of the announcement and the position of some in the legislature and other places, the BOR adopted the policy regarding the use of tuition and fees for D1 athletics.

As for helping them in the transition, I suspect that everyone at SDSU will follow Stig's lead on this. Remember after the MT game when they ran the fake punt at the end, but Stig still initiated the post game hand shake. He said after the game that he is going to conduct himself by his standards, not anyone else's. I'm sure he has been friendlier in other post-game handshakes, just like the athletic department has been more excited by other schools that have called for help, as in how to go about establishing equistrian programs.
                  Why did the BOR develop and approve a policy relating to D1 if it was not their authority to approve such a move? Check their website its there. Go back and read some news stories, the BOR approval was an important step. Why would the BOR have a public hearing and forum before making their final approval the next month in the Black Hills? Why would USD be spared this same process? They will not be spared.

Kloucheck does not have that much influence and power in the legislature. Most of this fellow legislatures often make light of his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                    Why did the BOR develop and approve a policy relating to D1 if it was not their authority to approve such a move? Check their website its there. Go back and read some news stories, the BOR approval was an important step. Why would the BOR have a public hearing and forum before making their final approval the next month in the Black Hills? Why would USD be spared this same process? They will not be spared.
                    The BOR may be able to put a stop to the insanity. I talked to some Northern St. fans today and they are putting together a committee to study a move to DI, too. (It could happen you know)

Seriously, I think the BOR may have something to say about Augustana and USD making these decisions in haste. I think they have to question the validity of the internal studies and the competence of the outside "experts". Remember, they did say that DI is the best option because of the situation at the DII level in ATHLETICS. The BOR may not see the same problem for academics. 10-12,000 students in Vermillion does not seem realistic when SDSU is well on its way to 12,000 plus and the number of SD high school students is shrinking.

I think the BOR will have plenty to say.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Augustana being a private instittution affliated with Evangelical Lutheran Church in America does not have to report to the BOR for any thing since they are not a state assisted school which USD is and there is a need for BOR approval. Augie can do pretty much what they want to in terms of the Board of Regents.

Comment

I don't think the BOR can do anything about Augie since they are a private school, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          Augustana being a private instittution affliated with Evangelical Lutheran Church in America does not have to report to the BOR for any thing since they are not a state assisted school which USD is and there is a need for BOR approval. Augie can do pretty much what they want to in terms of the Board of Regents.
                          I should have been a little more clear in my post. I think the BOR will take notice regarding the rumors surrounding Augie as they discuss USD's plans. The rest of the post speaks directly about USD. 3 division I institutions in the eastern half of the state seems excessive, at least on the surface. Thanks for clarifying.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            [quote author=Haldersham link=1150320172/300#309 date=1163436713]Augustana being a private instittution affliated with Evangelical Lutheran Church in America does not have to report to the BOR for any thing since they are not a state assisted school which USD is and there is a need for BOR approval. Augie can do pretty much what they want to in terms of the Board of Regents.
                            I should have been a little more clear in my post. I think the BOR will take notice regarding the rumors surrounding Augie as they discuss USD's plans. The rest of the post speaks directly about USD. 3 division I institutions in the eastern half of the state seems excessive, at least on the surface. Thanks for clarifying.[/quote]
                            The Regents probably will be more sympathetic to USD's situation than it was when SDSU planned to go D-1 because of the fall of the NCC and the uncertainty of D-2 as a whole. Augie will do its own thing, but the uncertainty of Augie's D-1 plans can't encourage USD to go in either direction.

Three D-1 schools in eastern South Dakota along the I-29 corridor may seem excessive, but these are three schools with an extensive tradition and rivalry. The numbers get skewed primarily because MN has only one D-1 school with little possibility of any additions in the near future. In addition, SD doesn't have the major pro sports to compete with for media attention and are known to fanatically support their college teams, particularly basketball. Finally, the NCC schools were at a higher schollie level in the past as opposed to the current D-2 max of 36.

South Dakotans should be excited if both USD and Augie go D-1 because of the increased exposure that SD and Sioux Falls (in Augie's case) will receive. SD taxpayers should be concerned, however, because USD will have funding and facility challenges which will end up in Pierre if USD can't stay above water. In the end, however, SD and the BoR have to be willing to support two state D-1 institutions if they wish to continue having two "flagship" public universities in SD.

Comment

[quote author=Haldersham link=1150320172/300#307 date=1163390638]

[quote]

I think you may have missed my point. I went and looked at Policy 5.15 which was amended in 2002 and 2004, so I am not sure when this exact wording came about, but I think the basics were brought out when SDSU made the move. Since I can't find the previous versions I'm not sure. Here is beginning of Pol 5.15:

Subject to the requirements of state and federal law and Board policy, institutions which participate in intercollegiate athletic competition shall abide by the rules and regulations promulgated by the appropriate national governing association and all regional subdivisions or conferences of which the institutions are members.
                              1. Financial and policy requirements for institutions that participate at National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I.
                              A. Institutions may participate in NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic competition, with the prior consent of the Board, if they comply with each of the following board financial and policy requirements:
                              . . .

Prior to this being added to the BOR policies, I believe the authority for division classification and conference affiliation was at the discretion of the president of the institution. I am not internet savy enough to find the old versions. I think el_presidente explained why SDSU would have gone to get their blessing even if they may not have been required to. Once this policy language was approved, then it was required. It may have been that this was approved at the first meeting, and so it was in effect before SDSU actually made the move.

Regardless of that, USD would have to get the BOR approval and abide by the restrictions that followed.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                [quote author=Haldersham link=1150320172/300#309 date=1163436713]Augustana being a private instittution affliated with Evangelical Lutheran Church in America does not have to report to the BOR for any thing since they are not a state assisted school which USD is and there is a need for BOR approval. Augie can do pretty much what they want to in terms of the Board of Regents.
                                I should have been a little more clear in my post.  I think the BOR will take notice regarding the rumors surrounding Augie as they discuss USD's plans.  The rest of the post speaks directly about USD.  3 division I institutions in the eastern half of the state seems excessive, at least on the surface.  Thanks for clarifying.[/quote]

Okay I see what you are saying. Its hard to call what is in the future. I guess Augie's presence as a D1 school could make USD plan more risky, but that risk is still in Abbots hand. The BOR has its policies as 1st Row pointed out and they appear to have updated and changed and maybe that's all they care about in terms of USD plan.

Your other post about Abbott being confident about the money being in place makes me a little uneasy as it would appear its a bird in the hand. This could be problems down the road for SDSU, but maybe not. Hard to read competition and the impact there of.

Comment

Working...
                                X