Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Originally posted by cactus
    What about the SD Board of Regents?  Didn't SDSU have to get regental approval before moving?  Do you expect the BOR will let them go.  

Not if they think like Minnesota, Nebraska and a host of other very smart states that know that it is better to have one great and very competetive state supported DI school.

Comment

Hey Coyote_Fan,

Look at the flag on the microphone in the picture . . .

That isn't KELO or SDPTV, do you really want to talk about TV coverage? :-? ;D

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
        things are getting deep at the D2 football board.   a yote fan think usd can be another gonzaga in basketball. ;D
        Show me where a Yote fan said that they can be another Gonzaga? I made a reference to Gonzaga but didn't say anything about USD actually having the success of Gonzaga. Even if I did say they CAN be another Gonzaga that is far from saying they WILL be a Gonzaga.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
          [quote author=mitchellrabbit link=1150320172/270#273 date=1162987624]things are getting deep at the D2 football board.   a yote fan think usd can be another gonzaga in basketball. ;D
          Show me where a Yote fan said that they can be another Gonzaga?  I made a reference to Gonzaga but didn't say anything about USD actually having the success of Gonzaga.  Even if I did say they CAN be another Gonzaga that is far from saying they WILL be a Gonzaga.  [/quote]

sorry coyote fan, maybe i read more into that statement than i should have, you or someone said "I AM NOT SAYING USD IS GOING TO ANY FINAL FOURS ANYTIME SOON BUT GONZAGA CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND NOW THEY ARE A CONSISTANT TOP 25 TEAM. so usd isnt going to any final fours anytime soon......you think someday they will?

Comment

I think there is more going on in the USD community than what can be sighted and determined. I just going to wish them good luck.

As Brad and Scotty on KJJQ told their listeners, they felt SDSU should not open their books to USD or help them in any manner. The fact that USD is all but desperate to make a move is their problem. Its up to USD to sell them self to the Mid Con and the Gateway conferences. If they get a vote I hope SDSU votes no. SDSU has their own challenges ahead and we dont have the time or resources to help USD. As I said Good Luck USD.

Comment

USD WON'T RECEIVE A SHRED OF HELP FROM SDSU IN THEIR QUEST FOR D-I!!!!!!

They did everything they could to try and stop our move, so there is no reason to help them out! If we're all supposed to help our in-state institutions then they should have at least been neutral on our move.

They weren't so we won't! It's it and that's that! Wow, that's Yogi like!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Opening up SDSU's books to help usd...??? HA HA HA No way in H**L will that happen. They fought us every step of the way when we moved up. I hope we will fight them every step of the way, I know I will. We dont need them, they bring nothing.

Comment

So if USD does announce a move to D-1, are they going to change their mascot? I mean really, a coyote is so D-2. They should change it to a Wolf. Wolves are so much bigger than those little scroney coyotes. ;D ;D

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

The most telling sign of USD's move is this quote from the argus:

Neither the consulting firm nor the task force was asked to figure out how the university would pay for a move to Division I. Andy Fellingham of ICAC estimated a reclassification would bump USD's present athletic budget of $5 million to $7 million.
                    I can't believe how ridiculous that little blurb is. First, that they think that 2 million is all they need when SDSU is already above that and still increasing.

Second, does it really make sense to recommend what to do before you actually know WHAT you can do? When you go to buy a car, do you get a recommendation to purchase a porsche, drive it off the lot, and then figure out how to pay for it a month later? Even academic programs or buildings on campus, usually you would have to raise the money, and then figure out what you can get for that before you start the program or building. But I guess USD is made of money now, so they don't have financial concerns at all.

I hope the BOR asks some tough questions about this move before they let it happen.

Comment

Our budget is still a ways off where it will end. There are at least 2 more football assistant positions that need to be added. There are at least 1 more basketball assistant positions for each team that need to be added. Let alone we don't have a full time tennis or golf coach and we don't have any assistants for softball. These are just for the sports I know. I am sure that volleyball is eligible for another assistant and the same for equestrian. I think that 7 million is still a little conservative if you are going to do it right and truly compete at the high end of Div I/I-AA.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Statebasketballfan

Neither the consulting firm nor the task force was asked to figure out how the university would pay for a move to Division I. Andy Fellingham of ICAC estimated a reclassification would bump USD's present athletic budget of $5 million to $7 million.
                        I can't believe how ridiculous that little blurb is.  First, that they think that 2 million is all they need when SDSU is already above that and still increasing.

Second, does it really make sense to recommend what to do before you actually know WHAT you can do?  When you go to buy a car, do you get a recommendation to purchase a porsche, drive it off the lot, and then figure out how to pay for it a month later?  Even academic programs or buildings on campus, usually you would have to raise the money, and then figure out what you can get for that before you start the program or building.  But I guess USD is made of money now, so they don't have financial concerns at all.

I hope the BOR asks some tough questions about this move before they let it happen.
                        This is so spot on. Good post. The blurb from the Argus is ridiculous. Didn't SDSU go from a buget in the high 4 million /low 5 million range to nearing 8 million plus at this point. A two million dollar jump, heck, that's just the first year. Travel expenses will take care of that in a hurry. Good luck USD, you are going to need it with the people who are making the decisions at your university.

I'll add this in all seriousness, as many of us felt a little empathy for SDSU's student athletes who were stuck in the early part of the transition, I feel even worse for those student athletes at the U if this moves forward like I think it will. At least SDSU's administration had a plan in place, and as hard as it was on the student athletes, there was at least a plan. Those poor kids at the U seem to be stuck in a black hole moving forward. Good luck keeping some of your better athletes.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I can't believe how ridiculous that little blurb is. First, that they think that 2 million is all they need when SDSU is already above that and still increasing.
                          Reminder: Here's what our consultant said about finances...

"Q: Is a move to Division I is affordable for SDSU?
                          A: According to the results of a recent study conducted by CSL it is reasonable for SDSU to sustain an athletic budget from $4.7 to $5.9 million annually (Current budget is $4.3 million). The average budget for I-AA is $5.2 million (Mid-Continent $4.7 million, Big Sky $6.8 million)."

Directly from the D1 information on the sdstate.edu Web site. Worth remembering that it's pretty difficult to see into the future and figure out what's going to be needed. So if USD's numbers are silly, so were ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                            I think there is more going on in the USD community than what can be sighted and determined. I just going to wish them good luck.

As Brad and Scotty on KJJQ told their listeners, they felt SDSU should not open their books to USD or help them in any manner. The fact that USD is all but desperate to make a move is their problem. Its up to USD to sell them self to the Mid Con and the Gateway conferences. If they get a vote I hope SDSU votes no. SDSU has their own challenges ahead and we dont have the time or resources to help USD. As I said Good Luck USD.

I did not explain the context of Brad and Scotty's comments. They were referring to an Argus Editoral that endorsed the D1 move at USD, and within the editoral the Argus editor suggested looking to SDSU for guidance. The Argus was expressing their opinion right or wrong. I think we can all agree its up to USD to make their own plans. SDSU has no obligation here period.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_jack
                              [quote author=Statebasketballfan link=1150320172/285#293 date=1163092888]The most telling sign of USD's move is this quote from the argus:

A: According to the results of a recent study conducted by CSL it is reasonable for SDSU to sustain an athletic budget from $4.7 to $5.9 million annually (Current budget is $4.3 million). The average budget for I-AA is $5.2 million (Mid-Continent $4.7 million, Big Sky $6.8 million)."

Directly from the D1 information on the sdstate.edu Web site. Worth remembering that it's pretty difficult to see into the future and figure out what's going to be needed. So if USD's numbers are silly, so were ours.
                              [/quote]

A. SDSU didn't have two schools nearby making the exact same change to compare to. I don't know how you can call yourself worth a single consulting dollar when you project a budget grossly under what two other schools in the exact same situation have for athletic budgets. Seriously, that consultant could have found NDSU and SDSU's budget's pretty easily to come up with a projection for USD.

B. SDSU actually was thinking about how to fund this through the entire process. So far USD has pretty much done nothing, or at least said nothing, about how they plan to fund this. Doesn't something kind of seem off when the President is making a decision on a move up without having a funding plan in place? You would think thats the first thing you would worry about....

Comment

[quote author=dr_jack link=1150320172/285#296 date=1163105904][quote author=Statebasketballfan link=1150320172/285#293 date=1163092888]The most telling sign of USD's move is this quote from the argus:

I can't believe how ridiculous that little blurb is.  First, that they think that 2 million is all they need when SDSU is already above that and still increasing.

[/quote]

A.  SDSU didn't have two schools nearby making the exact same change to compare to.  I don't know how you can call yourself worth a single consulting dollar when you project a budget grossly under what two other schools in the exact same situation have for athletic budgets.  Seriously, that consultant could have found NDSU and SDSU's budget's pretty easily to come up with a projection for USD.

B.  SDSU actually was thinking about how to fund this through the entire process.  So far USD has pretty much done nothing, or at least said nothing, about how they plan to fund this.  Doesn't something kind of seem off when the President is making a decision on a move up without having a funding plan in place?  You would think thats the first thing you would worry about....
                                [/quote]

Great observations Statebasketballfan!

Of course they have a plan!  In the end we'll find out that SDSU, NDSU, and the rest of the current and former NCC schools have been pawns in their game all along and that they have unknowingly controlled every move we make!

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

I can't wait to hear the plan!  Cactus, I think you are right!  The BOR has to approve the move and probably will but I hope they could see through a plan that just doesn't make sense if that is what is presented!

Once again, best of luck to the 'Yotes!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X