Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

I was trying to get the link up to listen to the news conference and then got sidetracked (work is such an inconvenience sometimes) and was wondering what was said on there.

I've been wondering what the plan was all along!

Did they give much for details or just make an announcement?

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

A couple of stories about USD President Abbott in the Argus today.  While you won't really read anything new I do think his interest (or lack there of) in athletics is evident (doesn't make him bad or anything) and helps explain why we are where we are and why they are where they are.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...701210302/1002

A D-I Journey and its leader
      USD President Abbott realistic about challenges

By Mick Garry
      mgarry@argusleader.com
      Published: January 21, 2007

University of South Dakota President Jim Abbott is the guiding force behind the school's recent decision to reclassify its athletics program into Division I. Abbott sat down with Argus Leader sports writer Mick Garry this past week for a discussion of all things athletics, the Coyotes future in Division I and how he came to make the D-I decision.  .  .  .  (read more)

Story Number 2:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...701210338/1002

Abbott has grown into sports leader role

By Mick Garry
      mgarry@argusleader.com
      Published: January 21, 2007

University of South Dakota president Jim Abbott came to his post in 1997 having established himself as a businessman, politician, teacher and lawyer.

Nowhere in there was the label sports fan.

"When I got here I didn't know the difference between a football and a basketball," Abbott said, joking. "I also thought we had a hockey team."  .  .  .  (read more)

Like I said, sounds like Abbott is an ok guy, he just wasn't interested in athletics.  Glad we had President Miller and have President Chicoine and Dr. Oien.

Go State!  

P.S.  What is up with the creepy bottom lit picture?  :-? :-/

Comment

Since I have the print version of this interview I have read it more than once, and I am still looking for the information that a label on the front section that appears above standard "Argus Leader". The label in red reads: USD PRESIDENT ABBOTT DETAILS THE ROAD MAP TO DIVION I"

The odd part is that of the interview of Mick Garry that includes nine questions gives no details about their plan which is not been fully developed or is something that is to develope like topsy the cat.  Five questions mention competition with SDSU and possibly membership in the Mid Continent. If going D1 is just about playing SDSU again, then they are in for a big surprise. If this is the road map, bring your tents as you might as well expect to spend a few nights in the woods. I hope the bears leave USD alone. ;D

Comment

Maybe Abbott can answer the question why a turd doesn't float in water, and why USD has little hope for SDSU helping them out.

Comment

About the only thing that got addressed in the Argus article seemed to be topics that I keep reading in the smack thread. It was like Garry read that forum and then threw some softballs to Abbott to try and squelch any rumors. That roadmap to success looks vageuly like the treasure map my 4 year old drew up last summer. USD's "x" is on top of a conference and they have about as much chance of finding one with their current plan as my kid did finding treasure with his map.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I read the article as well. I was totally amused by Abbott's comments about Hinkle fieldhouse and the movie Hoosiers.

Abbott's quote about the movie Hoosiers: "But there's tremendous emotion associated with Hinkle Fieldhouse. We've all seen Gene Hackman and we've all seen Barbara Hershey and we've all wanted to be Gene Hackman because he got Barbara Hershey."

I guess I might have wanted to Gene Hackman because he was the winning coach of a David and Goliath story and not because he ended up with Barbara Hershey.

Comment

I thought the whole Abbott feature was just satire. Was it a serious article? I didn't think the move to DI was real either.

No wait, it was the staying at DII was the right decision 4 years ago that wasn't right. No, it was the right decision then and now it was the wrong decision. So, it was right then but wrong now so in reality it was always the right decision. Now they want to be DI because new and unexpected changes have occurred at the local DII level but MORE IMPORTANTLY they have always been ready to be DI it just wasn't the right decision 4 years ago, but it is now.

That has to be satire.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There is also a video link to Abbott's interview. Nothing new but interesting to see his responses live. I'll have to say I was much more impressed with our president's interview on Kelo-Land than this one.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../70119028/1002

Comment

The only interesting part I took from it was the comment about State policy makers wanting to see SDSU-USD games. I think the teams will play eventually, I hope it is not because of a mandate from the BoR or legislature.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

From the USD school paper:

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...epublisher.com

Reviving the rivalry
                      Greatest rivalry in South Dakota sports could return

Ryan Moore & Drew Quandt
                      Issue date: 1/31/07 Section: Sports

Only a few years ago, the idea of a great rival for the University of South Dakota Coyotes was prominent. "Beat State" shirts could be seen on students all over campus. Questioning the intelligence of a person who attended South Dakota State was not only accepted, it was mandatory. USD and SDSU rivaled the intensity and passion of many other rivalries throughout college sports.

Then, in 2004, SDSU began the transition to Division I athletics. Over the last few years, USD has failed to recreate a rivalry with the same passion and hatred as USD/SDSU. So, when USD decided to reclassify to Division I athletics late last year, questions were instantly raised about once again facing the Jackrabbits.

USD Athletic Director Joel Nielsen said he is very excited about the prospect of playing SDSU.  .  .  .  (read more)

I have to say I love this Stig quote from the story:

.  .  .  "When I first got here facing USD was one of the measuring sticks for success,"Stieglemeier said. "At some point the bar was raised, and we reached for higher goals."  .  .  .

Nice job Coach!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Go State!  

Comment

I felt it was a well put together article, as hard as that is to say about their newspaper. Nothing crazy was stated and it gave a glimpse of where both institutions feel the status of the rivalry is at. One thing that did stick out to me:
                        Meierkort said renewing the rivalry could help both institutions financially.

"The biggest benefit, though, is going to be the financial benefit. Nobody that we play or they play will draw more (fans) than we have (in the past)," Meierkort said. "Look at our last basketball game against them. Look at our last three or four football games against them. You're dealing with big money."
                        As we've stated on this board before, we don't need the big gate of the USD-SDSU game. We are getting just as big of a gate, if not bigger without them. This part of the argument won't go very far with SDSU. And since I'm against renewing the rivalry, that is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                          I felt it was a well put together article, as hard as that is to say about their newspaper.  Nothing crazy was stated and it gave a glimpse of where both institutions feel the status of the rivalry is at.  One thing that did stick out to me:
                          Meierkort said renewing the rivalry could help both institutions financially.

"The biggest benefit, though, is going to be the financial benefit. Nobody that we play or they play will draw more (fans) than we have (in the past)," Meierkort said. "Look at our last basketball game against them. Look at our last three or four football games against them. You're dealing with big money."
                          As we've stated on this board before, we don't need the big gate of the USD-SDSU game.  We are getting just as big of a gate, if not bigger without them.  This part of the argument won't go very far with SDSU.  And since I'm against renewing the rivalry, that is a good thing.  
                          Football gates wouldn't change much. Except if you put both the USD and NDSU games at the end of the year. People will come no matter how cold it is outside. That doesn't happen when Southern Utah comes into town. No doubt in my mind it would be our biggest draw for bball. We draw pretty good for NDSU. Without a doubt, Frost would be sold out for a USD game. All in all, you're right. A big gate doesn't make or break us.

Comment

A big gate is peanuts compared to the gauranteed games against the Gophers, ISU, etc. Let usd2 play Upper Iowa.

Comment

I am way more excited to watch the SDSU vs UNI / NDSU games than any future game against usd. We should never play them again... in ANYTHING !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                                A big gate is peanuts compared to the gauranteed games against the Gophers, ISU, etc. Let usd2 play Upper Iowa.
                                Exactly the point AJ made today. USD may be on our schedule again but it won't be just because they want it, the state wants it or George W. wants it. It will have to be the right fit for us.

USD should not let that fact have any bearing on their move to DI.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X