Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

It just shows how U dot needs us more then we need them. From all the talk coming from the U dot, it seems we are in a lot of the responses and anwsers that they are throwing around. Hope for thier sake they didnt make the jump up just to start playing us again, cuz if thats the case, they are gonna be in a world of hurt.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yankton P&D story on USD

Hitting The Road To D-I

USD Moving Forward With Plans

By: RANDY DOCKENDORF
      randy.dockendorf@yankton.net

VERMILLION -- For athletic director Joel Nielsen, the University of South Dakota's transition to NCAA Division I has meant focusing on the three F's -- fund-raising, facilities and fan support.
      USD President Jim Abbott gave the go-ahead last fall for the Coyotes to make the move from NCAA Division II, citing his concerns about the future of D-II and the North Central Conference in particular. The NCC eventually announced it will fold after next year, adding urgency to the USD decision.

The South Dakota Board of Regents approved the D-I request, with stipulations, last December. Nielsen and the rest of the athletic department immediately hit the ground running as they began the five-year transition to D-I.

Nielsen packed his bags last month and headed to Orlando, Fla., but it wasn't for sun, fun and Disney World. He and other USD officials joined Abbott in making the trek to the NCAA convention.

Their mission: Making their D-I plans known and courting conferences for possible membership.

"At Orlando, it was nice to put names and faces with the persons," Nielsen said. "We could just talk about where we are at, what we are all about and what we bring to the table for interested parties."

That included promoting the advantage of having the Coyotes as conference members or at least scheduling them as opponents, Nielsen said.

"First off, we are selling the entire university, not just the athletic department," he said. "That (NCAA convention) was a great opportunity for us to interact. We could get information and speak with many of those conference athletic directors, presidents and other officials who may have influence on the decision-making capacity."

USD officials are not just taking a scatter-gun approach to seeking conference membership, Nielsen said. They are promoting USD as a flagship university with graduate programs, seeking schools with similar academic missions.

"That is a great selling tool for us to begin conversations with other folks," he said. "We hear from institutions who are interested in hearing our story and message."

USD has hitched its wagon with the University of North Dakota of Grand Forks, which is also making the move to D-I. The two schools -- who start their five-year D-I transitions in 2008-09 -- are similar in academic mission, share a rivalry and are located relatively close together, Nielsen said.

USD and UND are hoping the package is particularly attractive to the Great West Football Conference and the Mid-Continent Conference, which have or will add South Dakota State University of Brookings and North Dakota State University of Fargo as members.

"We are talking with the Mid-Continent and Great West. After that, it's the usual suspects," Nielsen said, declining to name other possible leagues.

However, he doesn't deny the possibility of the Big Sky Conference. And the Gateway and Missouri Valley conferences have been bantered about by observers.

"At this point, we aren't closing any doors," Nielsen said.
      Read more here:http://www.yankton.net/stories/02160...36021607.shtml

Comment

"The Gateway and MVC have been bantered about by observers", why exactly do you put that in the article? Are USD or UND going to be represented at the Gateway meeting Monday? Answer that question instead of making a statement like the one made. Since when is the MVC talking about expansion? Am I missing something? BS and vague generalizations like this are only part of what I think confirms some suspicion about just how ready USD is for this move up. I don't think I'd be very comfortable as a USD fan, student-athlete, or recruit.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It's good to see that at least some media outlet is keeping tabs on the upcoming D-I transition by that school to the south.........Mick is apparently too busy to do that for that Argus. :

I'm guessing that USD already has its home schedule full in 2008 and 2009 with NAIA and NSIC bottom-feeders and will play a bunch of BS Conference teams (fresh meat!) in home/home/buyout contracts.....

Too bad the article didn't speculate how soon the 'Yotes would be able to reach 63 FB schollies......

Comment

The Missouri Valley Conference discussed by "some observers'? Who are these observers and what fantasy world do they live in?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              "The Gateway and MVC have been bantered about by observers", why exactly do you put that in the article?   Are USD or UND going to be represented at the Gateway meeting Monday?  Answer that question instead of making a statement like the one made.  Since when is the MVC talking about expansion?  Am I missing something?  BS and vague generalizations like this are only part of what I think confirms some suspicion about just how ready USD is for this move up.  I don't think I'd be very comfortable as a USD fan, student-athlete, or recruit.
              NO!  The xDSU's are the only two schools that have been invited to the table.  I've seen that in several places including the article linked below.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...d938911855.txt

They need to lay off the prescription drugs down there and start thinking in terms of reality.  They make it sound as if the choice of conference will be up to them and them alone.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If you read the whole article, there is more interesting stuff in there...here are my thoughts:

Ironically, the success of SDSU and NDSU during their D-I transitions may make it more difficult to line up outside opponents wary of the success of former NCC teams, Nielsen said. But he also thinks opponents are attracted to that type of tradition and success, along with the strong attendance which has made the NCC one of the top D-II conferences in the nation.
                Are they going to blame us for not getting games, because of our success???  Give me a break.

"We have an extremely great product at the University (of South Dakota)," Nielsen said. "It's a great sell."
                I'll just stay away from this one  

However, Muenster said he thinks fans will come out to see the resumption of regional rivalries which have been temporarily derailed by the moves to D-I.

"How do you develop the rivalries to interest fans when the teams are long distances apart and there is no natural relationship?" he said. "I think it will be inevitable that USD, SDSU and the North Dakota schools will play each other, probably in the same conference."

Those kinds of rivalries are far more likely than routinely taking on major powerhouses, Muenster said.

"We aren't going out and slugging it out every night with the Florida, Ohio State and Texas ranks, people like that. There will be plenty of schools we play that people have never heard of," he said. "Not every Division I game has 100,000 people. There are very few like that."

Nielsen agreed that the old NCC rivalries will likely resume, although he is unsure of the timeline. Coyote fans will likely see few D-I basketball doubleheaders, as men and women usually play on separate nights and develop their own identities and fan bases, he said.
                These people are obviosly living in a dream world.  They simply shouldn't be making these kinds of comments in public since they really have no clue if this is going to happen or not.  By saying things as

"I think it will be inevitable that USD, SDSU and the North Dakota schools will play each other, probably in the same conference."
                is just absolutely ridiculous.  

To reiterate SuperBunny's comments...they really do need to lay off the prescription drugs down there.  Crack is Whack Boys!!!!

Comment

Man, I should have stayed in the office today and followed this thread rather than going on the road. Interesting thread. Good thing I didn't read it till I got home tonight or I would have been burned all day...Looks like everyone is just waiting for them to decide where they want to go with their conference affiliation. What color is the sky in their frickin' world, anyway?

Comment

I've said all along that USD will need to catch a major break, like we did with the Mid-Con, to obtain a conference affiliation. That may or may not happen. Just have to wait and see.

As Jackrabbit fans, we can all agree that transition sucks! Fortunately, we're going to come out if it about as quickly and positively as could be imagined. USD and it's fans will find out soon how rough transition is and my hunch is that they will be in search for a conference for a longer period unless a lucky break happens.

In their defense, they need to go out and paint a rosy picture to their fans and boosters because they have a huge fundraising job ahead of them. The only thing that bothers me is the way that they make it sound that finding a conference will be an easy deal and they will be able to choose which one they want to be in. It would be nice to hear things such as, "The two biggest challenges are to raise the money to be competitive and gain entrance into a conference."

It's seems like their plan is about as poorly prepared as they were prepared for the inevitable day the NCC died.

Best of luck to the 'Yotes.

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I agree, Superbunny...I wish they could just be a little more humble and admit that there is a hill to climb. The transition is not always a pleasant experience as you said. You put that very clearly. I probably could use a little more tact, but hey, that's just the way I am...

Comment

I get a little upset when Abbott and Neilsen try to make it sound like they waited until just the right moment. They "let" SDSU and NDSU pave the road for them and made the move now knowing all along it would be easier for them. That my friends is total B as in B and S as in S (garage logic for those of you who enjoy Joe and the rookie).

USD is moving to DI because they feel obligated to do so. It has nothing to do with the state of the institution or its sports programs. They did not recognize the urgency to move up that we did and now their stuck following again. You can't raise money by saying "we screwed up and should have done this earlier" so they have taken the current approach. I can't blame them but I can call them on it. I think its weak they way they have responded to questions about the decision to make the move NOW as oppossed before. Its a joke how the "journalists" in SE South Dakota who sided with the decision to stay DII 4 years ago have now completed reversed their opinion to support the move to DI without admitting that everyone is clueless and their hand was forced.

All this changed nothing, USD is headed towards DI transition and the state of limbo that comes with it. Let the begging commence.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1171634840
                          I was thinking the exact same thing as you just wrote about the SDSU board. They claim that USD needs them in football and/or basketball more than they need us. Whether that is true or not is not reflected in whos fans are talking about whom. They can't stop talking about USD but lately Coyote fans on the message boards barely even mention SDSU. It looks like they care alot more about what we are doing then visa-versa. They started a multipage thread on something as simply as what Chad Lavin said at a club meeting. He said something to the effect that he wasn't sure whether or not SDSU would win the NCC this year in womens basketball. Predictably they have been all over those comments and have been critisizing Chad. He didn't say they wouldn't win it just that he did not know. They take an article written by the P&D about the possibilities of USD and their conference search and other things and are already freakin out about it. They assume everything and misrepresent the truth alot. That is one of the biggest reasons I don't post there much anymore because ya can't hold a civilized discussion with them without having their anti USD personalities come out. They are so biased with their blue and yellow glasses on that it's not even worth the energy of trying to argue with them. Whether it's true or not or relevant or not it's always the hatred towards USD. I think they are really insecure about USD's move to D1. They haven't been mentioning the success of our mens basketball team. They always mention our womens every loss but never how the USD mens team would dismantle their team.
                          Crap from the USD board.  They get a couple of posts every five or six days, and half the posts are from SDSU fans.

I for one dislike USD.  I have little or no respect for their athletic program and their fans.  I'm glad to hear USD fans do not feel welcome when the try to post their "red" propaganda on our message board.  

The U's move to DI might be for the best.  I was almost ready to start cheering for them to do well and be competetive at the DII level.  Thankfully, I no longer will feel the need to root them on.  I almost forgot how much I hate them.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I have never posted on the USD board because basically it is irrelevant.  As you stated they get a handful of posts in a week’s time from their membership (just over 100 I think).  I see no need to import their meaningless rants to our board by quoting them, but that is my personal opinion so feel free, if you must.

Go State!  

P.S. Our friends to the south don't seem to understand % very well. They look and see a few posts about USD (true that would be a week's worth on their board) and think all we do is talk about them. Not understanding that compared to the total volume of posts that the total of USD related post is insignificant as a percentage of our board’s total traffic.

Comment

The article from the Yankton Piddle and Diddle cited above was distributed by the Associated Press and appeared in today's (Saturday's) Watertown Public Opinion. I momentarily boil over when I read the self-assured comments about how they seem to be considering joining the Mid-Con etc. but I have to remind myself that either someone doesn't understand the facts of NCAA D-1 conference life or its a sales-job. I do recall some of us Jack fans talking a little like that three or so years ago.

I hope we get the Gateway bid and then we're set. If we don't, then we stay in the GWFC and welcome USD and UND in a couple years. We should just plan on pounding the crap out of them. For all other sports, we're in the Mid-Con and I hope it remains very very stable for years to come (that means, no more additions).

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                                I have never posted on the USD board because basically it is irrelevant.  As you stated they get a handful of posts in a week’s time from their membership (just over 100 I think).  I see no need to import their meaningless rants to our board by quoting them, but that is my personal opinion so feel free, if you must.

89rabbit, cut me some slack.  Remember,  I'm Freshman.  This message board thing is new to me.  I feel all kinds of emotions, and I don't quite know how to properly or tactfully express them.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X