Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie plays for D2 title

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    How many people looking down their noses at Augie think SDSU would do just fine in the Missouri Valley?

To think they couldn't be at least as competitive as IPFW/IUPUI/WIU is silly. How many DII national titles did Omaha win before finishing 3rd this year? To my recollection, Augie was never really "great" in the old NCC, but they weren't bad either.

With that being said, their athletic director (who actually knows the facts) says its a nogo. I'm inclined to believe him.
    Wtf are you talking about? That's not even the conversation. The point was raised if there was a connection to Augies improvement and success to SDSU,NDSU,USD,and UND leaving. If you think that was coincidental then you're delusional.

Also,nobody is looking or tearing down Augustana. Quit being so sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
      Wtf are you talking about? That's not even the conversation. The point was raised if there was a connection to Augies improvement and success to SDSU,NDSU,USD,and UND leaving. If you think that was coincidental then you're delusional.

Also,nobody is looking or tearing down Augustana. Quit being so sensitive.
      Two things:

1) The comment you responded to was from an SDSU fan. So I doubt he was being sensitive about anyone looking down at or tearing down Augustana. Unless SF_Rabbit_Fan actually means Augie fan in some unclear way. Which is possible, I suppose. I'm wondering if maybe you thought I made that comment? Which I did not.

2) SF_Rabbit_Fan's comment is actually referring to a part of the conversation that was being discussed a few pages back. While the conversation has shifted slightly, it's not as if the point he made is completely out of the blue. Unless I'm missing something, which is always possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        Two things:

1) The comment you responded to was from an SDSU fan. So I doubt he was being sensitive about anyone looking down at or tearing down Augustana. Unless SF_Rabbit_Fan actually means Augie fan in some unclear way. Which is possible, I suppose. I'm wondering if maybe you thought I made that comment? Which I did not.

2) SF_Rabbit_Fan's comment is actually referring to a part of the conversation that was being discussed a few pages back. While the conversation has shifted slightly, it's not as if the point he made is completely out of the blue. Unless I'm missing something, which is always possible.
        If that's the case,he needs to learn how to operate the quote function. You figured it out and you're an Augie grad.

Comment

If that's the case,he needs to learn how to operate the quote function.
          This is actually good advice for everyone. If you are responding to a thread and you're response may not be related to the post or two above use the quote function. This applies even more if the posts you are "replying" to are from a day or two or more before.

Comment

If that's the case,he needs to learn how to operate the quote function. You figured it out and you're an Augie grad.
            Thanks for the advice.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Don't agree with most of this.Schilling IMHO would have been a solid Mid-Major player and Janssen is better post than all but Daum on Jacks roster.
              This is where I stand as well. But if Jansen whined just as much I'd rather just keep him on the bench. I still can't believe he was D2 player of the year though. He looks really slow. But maybe it was just his injury. Schilling was Augie's best player and I don't even think it's close.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                The Moffitt scenario is something to take into account when considering which Augie players could have been D1 players and what contributions they could have made.

The most important thing to remember is that Keaton wasn't a D1 player when he joined the Jacks roster, hence why he walked on, but he also didn't have any physical limitations that would have kept him from becoming a contributor at the D1 level either. Moffitt is 6'4" and was athletic enough to combine it with his intelligence and effort to be a good D1 defensive player. Even with this, though, it wouldn't have been enough for him to see the floor if he didn't add a lot of strength, improved his ball handling, and added some scoring moves to counter his sub par shooting (think of the really quick scoop shot he developed that allowed him to score past long, secondary defenders).

While there is no doubt the SDSU coaching and strength staff gave Moffitt the tools to become a "starter-worthy caliber guard" for us, it was Keaton who turned himself into a D1 player, not the other way around.

So back to the Augie players: Who were D1 caliber?

Schilling, in my book, was no doubt a mid major 4. Though undersized, his combination of strength, size, athleticism, and skill would have more than made up for it and he would have been a Tellinghuisen type player, though Telly is more of a 3 and Schilling is more of a 4. There also isn't really any part of his game from what I saw that would work at the DII level but not translate to D1, which is always something to consider. It's hard to say exactly what kind of stats/minutes Schilling would have had as a Jack, especially considering this hypothetical is just throwing him on the SDSU team rather than having him be part of the Jackrabbit program for 4 to 5 years, but I'd have to imagine Nagy would love his toughest and effort and would have utilized it to the fullest extent.

Janssen definitely has a D1 offensive game, though his points per game at the D1 level would likely be closer to 10 than 20. There really isn't anything about his offensive game in my mind that wouldn't translate to the D1 level. He's 6'9", which is plenty tall for a mid major post, and he has the skill and coordination to score inside and out. Sure, he wouldn't regularly get as deep of position on the block and would have to shoot over slightly taller/more athletic defenders than he did in D2, but nothing about his offensive game made be think he was only getting away with it because he was playing against DII competition.

Janssen's current defensive game, however, is not up to snuff for D1. The question really is, does he have the ability to be a serviceable mid major defender? I think he probably has the physical attributes to defend better than his current state, but there is a lot of mental toughness and effort that does into defending the post as well. I'm certain there are plenty of lower D1 teams that would take Janssen "as is", but in terms of him playing for Nagy, I'm not sure coach would let him see the floor much at the current rate. Of course, one could also factor in Janssen starting out at SDSU, which he would either been forced to learn to play better defense in order to see the floor, or he would likely have transferred out. Which way he would have went, I have no clue.

In terms of other players:

Ritcher is a good shot, but I doubt he would be much of a D1 contributor due to his defense and inability to create his own shot.

Huisken could probably be a backup post in the Summit due to his size and length, but wouldn't be much more than that.

Spencer could probably run the point for a low major team, though his on the ball defense wouldn't be good.

Warren is probably a D1 athlete, so if his skill level continues to improve, he definitely could be a D1 contributor down the road.

Once again, this is all clearly hypothetical and there really is no way of knowing how a player would respond to a different situation until they are put into it. There are countless players who were less physically gifted than the average D1 basketball player that managed to have good D1 careers and there have been plenty of physically gifted athletes that couldn't hack it at the highest level of college ball.
                Nice post
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

W.....T.....F....
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Thanks for the advice.
                    No problem. I'm here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      W.....T.....F....

?????

Comment

until Nagy's kid graduates Wayne State will be on the schedule, maybe then Augie will get scheduled.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet Augie does not get on our schedule. There is nothing to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I'd be willing to bet Augie does not get on our schedule. There is nothing to gain.
                            Nothing to gain by playing DWU and Dakota State either, but we do. How about a game with Regional interest and a preseason exhibition game over 2300 in attendance that Augie or Northern would bring. Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota could say the same thing about us, but all have played SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              Nothing to gain by playing DWU and Dakota State either, but we do. How about a game with Regional interest and a preseason exhibition game over 2300 in attendance that Augie or Northern would bring. Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota could say the same thing about us, but all have played SDSU.
                              I think there is a distinction and that's the potential fan base in Sioux Falls. There are basketball fans with no particular allegiance to a school and their support is up for grabs.

Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota do not have the same concerns. There's enough distance between us. But even if we were 60 miles from Minnesota, Iowa or Iowa State, we're a D-1 "counter". I think your analogy is faulty.

Perhaps a better example would be Minnesota playing Winona State in the recent past when Winona won a couple of D-II championships. What was Minnesota thinking?

Think of the reaction when SDSU beat the Gophers this year. That game had quickly followed USD's overtime win at Minnesota. The Minnesota fan base was shocked when USD won although some were suspicious of how the season was going to unfold for Minnesota. When SDSU won, there was disappointment but no real surprise (go back and read the media report and columnists opinion -- not exactly evidence but I think the reporting was a fair representation of how SDSU was viewed: Minnesota knew we were the top Summit team and likely would win.)

If D-II Augie came in to Frost and got a win, there is a risk of damage to the program and its growing fan base. Right now, fans can like both SDSU and Augie.

Comment

I wonder how many times the subject "should we play Augie" will come up? This is a tired old discussion that just won't die (my preference). I enjoyed watching Augie the last couple of years. I think Jansen and Schilling would play for a lot of mid-majors. I think Coach Billiter has done a good job and winning a National Championship at any level is an outstanding accomplishment. Now, let them get their own fan message board and continue to pat themselves on the back. Seriously, they've earned it.

Comment

Working...
                                X