Augie plays for D2 title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie plays for D2 title

Too many times, but with so many SDSU alum in Sioux Falls who attend Augie games I expect this topic will continue to come up. As for their own message board, yes. Plus how about they attend the Augie chat with Ian instead of continually asking Augie questions on the SDSU chat with Zimmer. That way the SDSU chat can stay about... SDSU ATHLETICS!!!

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I wonder how many times the subject "should we play Augie" will come up? This is a tired old discussion that just won't die (my preference). I enjoyed watching Augie the last couple of years. I think Jansen and Schilling would play for a lot of mid-majors. I think Coach Billiter has done a good job and winning a National Championship at any level is an outstanding accomplishment. Now, let them get their own fan message board and continue to pat themselves on the back. Seriously, they've earned it.

Comment

I wonder how many times the subject "should we play Augie" will come up? This is a tired old discussion that just won't die (my preference). I enjoyed watching Augie the last couple of years. I think Jansen and Schilling would play for a lot of mid-majors. I think Coach Billiter has done a good job and winning a National Championship at any level is an outstanding accomplishment. Now, let them get their own fan message board and continue to pat themselves on the back. Seriously, they've earned it.
      Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
      Too many times, but with so many SDSU alum in Sioux Falls who attend Augie games I expect this topic will continue to come up. As for their own message board, yes. Plus how about they attend the Augie chat with Ian instead of continually asking Augie questions on the SDSU chat with Zimmer. That way the SDSU chat can stay about... SDSU ATHLETICS!!!
      Sorry guys. I misread the directory when I worked my way into this thread. I thought I had clicked Forum > Beyond SDSU > College Athletics and then found my way in here. Didn't realize it meant Forum > Beyond SDSU (As Long As It's Not About Augie Because Augie Fans And People Who Have Any Desire To Talk About Augie Should Be Using Their Own Message Board) > College Athletics. That's my mistake.

All sarcasm aside, I apologize for making the joke about Augie playing SDSU a few posts ago. I genuinely (sincerely) thought the topic had been discussed to death on here. If I had thought it would actually generate responses, I wouldn't have said anything. I doubt people will believe me, but I do mean that.

JackJD - Is that, like, an official super moderator decree that Augie not be discussed on this forum anymore? Or was it just your way of saying you really don't like that specific Augie-related discussion? I don't want to be responsible for getting myself banned if Augie-related things come up in the future and I chime in, but I'm fine not bringing up the "should SDSU play Augie" discussion if that's your request/decree. Either way, I do apologize, I just enjoy conversations and discussions like this. I try to chime in about SDSU-only stuff over on the Men's Basketball section when I have stuff to say and enjoy reading and responding to people's comments, but when I see Augie-related things come up, it's natural for me to want to chime in on those too.

jacksfan29 - I can't do much about Matt's live chat. He did cover Augie/USF for 12 years or something, so it's not a shock that fans of those schools might want his input or thoughts on Augie-related topics. We were a lot less inclined to discuss Augie with Terry since he had little to no interest in Augie athletics. A little different with Matt. If Terry had switched to the Augie/USF beat, do you honestly think zero SDSU fans would ever chime in with Jackrabbit questions for Terry? I highly doubt it. I'm sure it'll slow down over time as the two writers continue to differentiate themselves and their beats, but I doubt, no matter how much the SDSU fans complain during the chat, that they'll ever disappear entirely. On behalf of all 2-3 of those Augie fans that invade and ruin your chat each week, I apologize. Kind of. Maybe a little bit not really. But still kind of.

(I do hope everyone recognizes that my sarcasm is meant lightheartedly and not aggressively. Sometimes text doesn't entirely convey that.)

Comment

If we are afraid to play Augie we have bigger problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          Sorry guys. I misread the directory when I worked my way into this thread. I thought I had clicked Forum > Beyond SDSU > College Athletics and then found my way in here. Didn't realize it meant Forum > Beyond SDSU (As Long As It's Not About Augie Because Augie Fans And People Who Have Any Desire To Talk About Augie Should Be Using Their Own Message Board) > College Athletics. That's my mistake.
          i recognize you're being sarcastic but keep in mind this thread is still open. If an opinion is stated that offends you: tough. (added --) And keep in mind that one or two or three people have made a few comments. We have an alumni base of something like 80,000 to 90,000 living grads...a handful of posters on a message board does not speak for SDSU or its sports fans.

JackJD - Is that, like, an official super moderator decree that Augie not be discussed on this forum anymore? Or was it just your way of saying you really don't like that specific Augie-related discussion?
          See the preceding response. But, don't forget about the rule on this board: don't piss off the bartenders.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            If we are afraid to play Augie we have bigger problems.
            I agree that if the reason we do not schedule Augie is fear, then we may have big problems. But, it's not a matter of fear. In my view, the administration takes a business view of such matters and I think that when schedules are assembled, they have to keep in mind the question: What is there to gain? If a case can be made that there is benefit to SDSU, the efforts will be made to schedule that team (and I'm generally in the camp that supports the adminstration without thinking very hard about it -- they have all the information and experience and I'm just a guy who likes to watch Jackrabbit basketball).

We have competed with Augie for recruits (e.g. Nate Wolters; one or two of the Schillings). It is much less likely (can't think of any examples) we compete for recruits against DWU, Dakota State, Southwest Minnesota; or Wayne State. I think that would have some influence on scheduling decisions. How many more factors are considered -- Strength of schedule; RPI; etc. How many threads have discussed how we have to continually upgrade our schedule and that means playing the best mid-majors and schools from the P5 conferences?

I know that there are fans who would like to see Augie play in Frost. If Augie was scheduled to play in Frost, I'd likely attend. I've been to the DWU, Dakota State, Southwest Minnesota State, Wayne State games. To date, it appears to me that the administration hasn't come up with a solid reason to schedule Augie (or Northern State). I suppose there are several other possibilities, too, including, for example, SDSU is dying to schedule Augie but Augie won't agree.
            Last edited by JackJD; 04-02-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Yes I realize its just a speculative article by the Argus Leader. I do wonder as many on the board here "How would Augie competed in the Summit League this year?" I think they would have done fairly well. I know I am stoking the fire here that was slowing dying. In the contests with SDSU, they would have certainly given SDSU a run for the money. The carrot throwers are probably behind the D1 move.
              I'm not sure what inter divisional basketball ratings show, but Jeff Self has SDSU @73, Augie 96, NDSU 150 and UNO 155. My IUPUI and Oral Roberts visits were my worst fan experiences in my 71 years, so Augie could not ever be worse. Denver left the WAC because Grand Canyon came in. ORU is every bit as suspect academically but provides a hideous time, at least they were polite. I would think playing games against Augie and Northern would be better than DWU and DSU.

Comment

i recognize you're being sarcastic but keep in mind this thread is still open. If an opinion is stated that offends you: tough. (added --) And keep in mind that one or two or three people have made a few comments. We have an alumni base of something like 80,000 to 90,000 living grads...a handful of posters on a message board does not speak for SDSU or its sports fans.
                Not sure I was offended at all. If that's the impression I gave, it wasn't my intent. I was mostly just joking.

I apologize, but I'm not sure I'm following the alumni base comment. Are you saying a handful of people being upset about Augie-related comments doesn't represent the entire 80,000-90,000 living grads who don't mind Augie-related conversations? Or are you saying the handful of posters agreeing about the Augie stuff doesn't speak for the entirety of SDSU and its sports fans?

See the preceding response. But, don't forget about the rule on this board: don't piss off the bartenders.

That's
                why I added the smiley face AND the disclaimer at the end of my post.

You and filbs are the last people I want to offend/upset on here. Mostly because I don't every try to offend or upset anybody on here. People may disagree with my opinions, but I would hope most people recognize my responses are generally calm, thoughtful, and measured, not aggressive or overreactive. I occasionally joke, but I don't try to make people angry. Hence the smiley face.

Comment

Not sure I was offended at all. If that's the impression I gave, it wasn't my intent. I was mostly just joking.

I apologize, but I'm not sure I'm following the alumni base comment. Are you saying a handful of people being upset about Augie-related comments doesn't represent the entire 80,000-90,000 living grads who don't mind Augie-related conversations? Or are you saying the handful of posters agreeing about the Augie stuff doesn't speak for the entirety of SDSU and its sports fans?

That's
                  why I added the smiley face AND the disclaimer at the end of my post.

You and filbs are the last people I want to offend/upset on here. Mostly because I don't every try to offend or upset anybody on here. People may disagree with my opinions, but I would hope most people recognize my responses are generally calm, thoughtful, and measured, not aggressive or overreactive. I occasionally joke, but I don't try to make people angry. Hence the smiley face.
                  I invite a return to the topic of the thread.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Zat you, filbs?

Comment

• Re: Augie plays for D2 title

Zat you, filbs?
                      If someone wants the discussion "should Augie play SDSU" then a thread with that subject should be started.

The subject of this thread is Augustana playing for (and winning) the D-II men's basketball championship.

It seems to me that this is a worthy and noble achievement, eminently noteworthy and laudable in its own right and deserving of a thread here. I really don't think it properly honors that achievement by insisting on trying to compare Augie's basketball team to SDSU's, or NDSU's, or USD's, or Sam Houston State's, or Minnesota's, or Kansas's team this year.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Re: Augie plays for D2 title

Augie has lots of activity on the D2 Board.

Comment

Working...
                        X