• Show
Clear All

Re: Augie plays for D2 title

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Upsets never happen...
    Pre-freaking-season nonetheless...

Comment

A wise-guy on the Iowa fan board Hawkeye Nation posted "Rock Island will be partying tonight". LOL.

Comment

Huh. Was flippin through the channels today and happened upon this game. Watched for a brief minute and kept flippin. Had no clue until now it was for all the hot dogs.

Congrats to Augie.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          A wise-guy on the Iowa fan board Hawkeye Nation posted "Rock Island will be partying tonight". LOL.
          I guess this guy does not know the difference between a Swede and a Norwegian. SF=Norsk RI=Swede, no difference really just that Sioux Falls should get the credit, they won the D2 championship.

Comment

I watched the game and was pulling for Augie. Schilling looked like a man among boys yesterday...superior effort and althletisism. He and Richter pushed them to a win. Janssen contributed but just didn't stand out like the other two. For those that felt like he and Schilling wouldn't belong in D1 athletics, we really are only a few years removed from a time we would have taken anyone athletic and 6'6"+.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Ah, Lutheran humor.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                Those "highly skilled, limited athletically" basketball players beat the University of Iowa on their home floor early in the year.
                Exactly! Proud Augie alumni here!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Man, I don't know. To me, they looked like the epitome of REALLY good D2 players. None looked like great athletes. Schilling looked to be the only one capable of the defensive effort/ability that Nagy expects, and he's undersized for his position.

And am I the only one that thought Janssen whines a bit too much?
                  Exactly. They are at the right level. And I agree, Janssen is a bit too dramatic. That said, very glad they won the title. Impressive.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Enjoyed watching Augie pick up their first national bb title. Dr. Pepper arena seemed about the size of the Pentagon in SF. Good Augie crowd, probably about 65 %.

Comment

It has been a fun year. On the plus side, we Augie fans (mainly I) can take a break from the "who would win" argument. After winning a National Championship, beating the Jackrabbits in an exhibition game isn't all as important as it seemed to be earlier in the season. Appreciate reading the kind words about the win. Fun to see people appreciate good basketball, even if it's a different level categorically.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Man, I don't know. To me, they looked like the epitome of REALLY good D2 players. None looked like great athletes. Schilling looked to be the only one capable of the defensive effort/ability that Nagy expects, and he's undersized for his position.
                        Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Exactly. They are at the right level. And I agree, Janssen is a bit too dramatic. That said, very glad they won the title. Impressive.
                        I'm going to ask an honest question here (in the sense that I'm hoping for an honest, genuine answer). Keep in mind that, if this were an in-person conversation, I'd be asking this question in a normal, level-headed tone. This isn't an angry, heated discussion or anything. I just want genuine reflection and conversation about it.

Do you truly think that the National Division II Player of the Year (according to both the National Association of Basketball Coaches and D2 Bulletin) wouldn't have made more of a difference for you guys than some of the bigs on your roster right now?

I'll admit that Daum might be better than Jansen today and will be a better overall player by the time he graduates, but do you really think Jansen (and Schilling, but particularly Jansen, since Schilling is slightly undersized) wouldn't have done more for you guys this year than Connor Devine and Logan Doyle? And, if you look at it objectively, if you dropped Ian Theissen onto this Augie team in place of Jansen this year, do you honestly think he is good enough to earn Division II National Player of the Year honors, skill and athleticism-wise? I know Theissen is younger than Jansen, but, statistically, Jansen was almost equally as impressive last year as he's been this year, so it's not like Jansen made a huge jump between his junior and seniors seasons. And regarding Jansen's less than exceptional defense, you're telling me you wouldn't take Jansen's more than competent offense and limited defensive liabilities over Devine's non-existent offense and moderate to slightly above average defensive abilities?

If you can say yes to those questions, then I won't be able to change your mind and I won't spend much more time trying, but if you are just saying that because Jansen is a D2 player, he's not good enough...without trying to look at what that actually means in the context of the current players on your roster, I feel like you're just being dismissive and unrealistic because he's not currently a D1 basketball player.

But as more than a few people have said to me, I probably try to hard to defend these guys sometimes. Regardless, I'm beyond happy they didn't end up in Jacks blue and yellow one way or the other. Blue and gold has suited them just fine as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Would any of Jansen's talent been curtailed if he played against a good defensive player? Or did he get challenged regularly during the season? You have already indicated that he is not a solid defensive player.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think Jansen would be a solid role player for a mid-major team. Nothing more than that. It's hard to say what his role would have been if played for the Jacks this year or even last year when Cody Larson was around. Jansen excelled at the D2 level that's for sure.

Comment

I think Jansen and Schilling could have contributed but I am skeptical that they would have been all-conference first teamers. This opinion is based on some of the guys who have left SDSU after not getting much PT and then dominated at DII like Monaghan and Prince, for instance Prince put up a 26 and 10 average this year as a 6'3" guard!

You have to consider the level of competition they are playing against when looking at their offensive numbers. Daum putting up 16 and 6 against Maryland is just a tad different than Schilling or Jansen putting up 20 and 10 or whatever against Lincoln Memorial.

Again, this isn't to denigrate them as players, I think either of those guys would have helped SDSU this year and possibly even started, but I don't think either would have been the best player on our team.

Comment

To me, Schilling's game translates the best to the Div.I game. He is under-sized to be a 4, but so is Tellinghuisen who has been effective at the same height and 30 lbs lighter. Reed can stretch the floor more, but Casey is a stronger rebounder and inside player. I think Casey could be just as effective at our level. That being said, Reed will probably never be all conference at the 4 spot and I don't think Schilling would be either. Schilling kind of reminds me of a smaller, and not as athletic Konchar-type player. Hard-nosed and great rebounder. I see Janssen and Richter as being able to contribute, but not really stand out moving up a division.

Comment

Working...
                                X