Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost Of Attendance: The Thread

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Thanks Nidaros, I hadn't thought of that. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for from my question.
    I did not have the best answer. The endowments and the size of budget for any given sport would have to be considered. I can not imagine Tennis budget being super large. Maybe Goon could weigh in here since he played Tennis at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I did not have the best answer. The endowments and the size of budget for any given sport would have to be considered. I can not imagine Tennis budget being super large. Maybe Goon could weigh in here since he played Tennis at SDSU.
      Not really much help. Dont think we had a huge budget anyway. a few scholarships, travel, a crap ton of new tennis balls those are about the costs, aside from coaches salary.

thats my guess is one of the goals of the admin is to get more outside funding for all sports, so getting endowments for scholarships and money earmarked for those sports from fans and former athletes. I know to get the baseball stadium stuff they had a bunch of former players donate for stadium costs and gifts for the program.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm going to ask a serious question and will not appreciate smack responses which may cause this thread to end up in smack. This is a significant subject worthy of serious discussion, speculation, guesswork etc. -- but not smack. Here's the question, followed by some comments.

Do any of the readers of this board know how USD is funding and applying its FCOA? I believe I read, or concluded from what I read, there will be full COA for every full scholarship. Presumably for a partial scholarship, there will be a commensurate reduction in the COA but in the end, the COA amount, in the aggregate, won't change: If they have the equivalent of150 full scholarships, there will be 150 full COA’s added.

I'm interested in the facts -- citations to documents,administrator statements, letters written to Howling Pack supporters –anything. I have not been able to find (haven't spent alot of time looking yet) information on exactly what USD is going to do in its application of FCOA. It is possible the formal plan is not in the public domain at this point (e.g. they may have a couple of big donors who just want to keep it quiet for now). I thought I’d throw the question out there in case some of you may have seen the information and can point me in the right direction.

Sometimes it is beneficial to know what other schools are doing -- may give us an idea or, in some case, may point out something we don't want to do.

[I know there are some who speculate USD may have made the announcement to pre-empt the local news for a day or two, without having a plan firmly in place. I cannot believe that to be the case – the risk of the consequences of not being able to follow through after making the announcement would be severe and long lasting. Simply put, they'd never hear the end of it and their credibility would be dashed. Realistically, I have to believe they have it worked out -- I'm just curious how they did it.]

It is possible that no one other than some administrators at USD know the plan right now. At some point it becomes public information.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I'm going to ask a serious question and will not appreciate smack responses which may cause this thread to end up in smack. This is a significant subject worthy of serious discussion, speculation, guesswork etc. -- but not smack. Here's the question, followed by some comments.

Do any of the readers of this board know how USD is funding and applying its FCOA? I believe I read, or concluded from what I read, there will be full COA for every full scholarship. Presumably for a partial scholarship, there will be a commensurate reduction in the COA but in the end, the COA amount, in the aggregate, won't change: If they have the equivalent of150 full scholarships, there will be 150 full COA’s added.

I'm interested in the facts -- citations to documents,administrator statements, letters written to Howling Pack supporters –anything. I have not been able to find (haven't spent alot of time looking yet) information on exactly what USD is going to do in its application of FCOA. It is possible the formal plan is not in the public domain at this point (e.g. they may have a couple of big donors who just want to keep it quiet for now). I thought I’d throw the question out there in case some of you may have seen the information and can point me in the right direction.

Sometimes it is beneficial to know what other schools are doing -- may give us an idea or, in some case, may point out something we don't want to do.

[I know there are some who speculate USD may have made the announcement to pre-empt the local news for a day or two, without having a plan firmly in place. I cannot believe that to be the case – the risk of the consequences of not being able to follow through after making the announcement would be severe and long lasting. Simply put, they'd never hear the end of it and their credibility would be dashed. Realistically, I have to believe they have it worked out -- I'm just curious how they did it.]

It is possible that no one other than some administrators at USD know the plan right now. At some point it becomes public information.
          I've wondered the same thing. USD doesn't offer baseball, men's tennis, wrestling, or equestrian. They have to save a TON of money compared to SDSU.

It is somewhat funny to me that the SDSU and USD building projects had to be OK'd by the Board of Regents and legislature, and NDSU had to have cash in hand to renovate the BSA by state law, but all that's required for FCOA is making an announcement.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

From an article from Jeremy Hoeck on Sept.5th :

How will USD go about raising that money? Donations, Abbott said.
            “I have every reason to believe our athletic boosters; the Howling Pack, will step up like they always have to make sure we remain competitive,” he said.

I recall Herbster saying they have 175 scholarships at $4,145 for a max hit of $775,000 a year. The math doesn't work out but he's just an AD.

http://www.yankton.net/sports/article_1c101aa8-538b-11e5-9806-b339c15e8116.html#.VesMN3ePYuM.twitter

Comment

I was hoping for the U's sake that there was more than just "we'll get it from the boosters". I suppose we could have made that same announcement. The risk of damage is pretty significant if the boosters don't step up immediately and meet that challenge.

Comment

I recall Herbster saying they have 175 scholarships at $4,145 for a max hit of $775,000 a year. The math doesn't work out but he's just an AD.

Per the below link to a Plain Talk article from 9/11/15, the number is 187 scholarships for a max cost of $775,115.

http://www.plaintalk.net/sports/arti...78d453587.html

Comment

Sounds like the old arms race escalation. Now maybe the underhanded donors can step up and help the whole team not just one or two players.
                  I'm sort of in favor of this idea, because it is the players doing the entertaining, not the universities.What is next? cap space, grievance committees, tax attorneys, agents for hs recruits, player unions, incentive bonuses.
                  I'm guessing that it will create a lot of turnover in rosters, maybe to D2 advantage. Will always be open roster spots for potential blue chippers, just dump the low man on the roster.

Comment

I've wondered the same thing. USD doesn't offer baseball, men's tennis, wrestling, or equestrian. They have to save a TON of money compared to SDSU.

It is somewhat funny to me that the SDSU and USD building projects had to be OK'd by the Board of Regents and legislature, and NDSU had to have cash in hand to renovate the BSA by state law, but all that's required for FCOA is making an announcement.
                    The smoke is easy to make from whatever you have on hand, but the mirrors represent actual capital cost.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They are not cutting sports, except MAYBE equestrian, and that is for totally different reasons.

Cutting sports is generally really dumb, the only way some schools get around it is when they move up to D-I at the same time (generally cutting football). If SDSU cut baseball, they'd save some money off the top, but tick off a ton of donors, former players and fans of the program.

As for USD not really having a plan, this scares me, and its not just USD, its any school that announces this and doesn't have a plan. You can hide things on the books, move accounts around for a year or two, but sooner or later you need that extra money year in and year out.

I think the big worry, is announcing it without a plan, and then either having to cut it once its implemented or 2-3 years down the road having to cut the program.

Comment

USD also has a lot less money than SDSU to start with. If the plan is to raise the funds (post announcement) from their boosters they better start winning and getting some butts in the seats. And those new found passionate fans better start sending in some checks.

At least NDSU has half in hand when they announced. I also have a lot more faith in NDSU boosters, or for that matter SDSU boosters stepping up.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                          USD also has a lot less money than SDSU to start with. If the plan is to raise the funds (post announcement) from their boosters they better start winning and getting some butts in the seats. And those new found passionate fans better start sending in some checks.

At least NDSU has half in hand when they announced. I also have a lot more faith in NDSU boosters, or for that matter SDSU boosters stepping up.
                          Unfortunately this isn't true. Here are the #'s from the 2014 US news college rankings
                          USD's endowment:$210,205,498
                          SDSU's endowment: $102,875,539
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            Unfortunately this isn't true. Here are the #'s from the 2014 US news college rankings
                            USD's endowment:$210,205,498
                            SDSU's endowment: $102,875,539
                            These numbers include everything academic and althletic scholarships?

Comment

How much state support do each program get?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                These numbers include everything academic and althletic scholarships?
                                No clue. It just says endowment. I think you can pay for a full report but I'm not interested in doing that.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X