Cost Of Attendance: The Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost Of Attendance: The Thread

Unless one knows how much money is dedicated to athletics,endowment numbers are pretty meaningless. Northwestern has an endowment of around $10 billion and they have crappy athletic facilities.

Comment

We appreciate the concerns about USD athletic funding

Not speaking on behalf of USD, but as an alum who has closely followed the programs for 45 years (I know Nidaros, still a pup), I can comfortably share what I know is going on with athletic funding. As far as COA, it was anticipated and budgeted for as soon as it became apparent that it would be necessary to compete in our conferences. Abbott and Herbster have made it clear that funding athletic facilities, and operations, is a high priority and they are following through with the necessary actions to make it happen.

I can't give you current budgetary particulars but I know they have expanded the staff necessary to raise money and they are successfully tapping funding sources. The results show we are fast approaching the 70% level on the overall $250 million capital campaign, and the commitments for the $81 million athletic facility projects portion is well in reach. (The bricks and mortar costs are about $70 million and the $81 million number includes bonding costs associated with the collection of multi year pledges). The goal was to not have to use any current operating revenues for bond payments.

Fund raising has been successful enough to allow inclusion of original design features and if you read Jeremy Hoeck's recent article about the T&F facility you will see what that is about.

Finally, plans are being drawn for a major revamp and remodel of the Dakota Dome and there will be news forthcoming on additional funding for athletic operations. And, I have never felt better about the future for USD athletics!

Comment

Originally posted by Azsod73 View Post

Not speaking on behalf of USD, but as an alum who has closely followed the programs for 45 years (I know Nidaros, still a pup), I can comfortably share what I know is going on with athletic funding. As far as COA, it was anticipated and budgeted for as soon as it became apparent that it would be necessary to compete in our conferences. Abbott and Herbster have made it clear that funding athletic facilities, and operations, is a high priority and they are following through with the necessary actions to make it happen.

I can't give you current budgetary particulars but I know they have expanded the staff necessary to raise money and they are successfully tapping funding sources. The results show we are fast approaching the 70% level on the overall $250 million capital campaign, and the commitments for the $81 million athletic facility projects portion is well in reach. (The bricks and mortar costs are about $70 million and the $81 million number includes bonding costs associated with the collection of multi year pledges). The goal was to not have to use any current operating revenues for bond payments.

Fund raising has been successful enough to allow inclusion of original design features and if you read Jeremy Hoeck's recent article about the T&F facility you will see what that is about.

Finally, plans are being drawn for a major revamp and remodel of the Dakota Dome and there will be news forthcoming on additional funding for athletic operations. And, I have never felt better about the future for USD athletics!
        Congratulations. Hopefully all that funding will help your football program win a MVFC game someday.

Comment

I question the pup reference, my SDSU graduating class celebrated its 50 anniversary this spring, plus I was out of school two years and I am older than Pearl Harbor by 4 months. I will not ask your age, but if you care offer, I am all ears.

Sounds like a good year in fund raising at USD. Something you would have never seen in years of I.D. Weeks, a very feeble president so some alums have told me. You do have an able leader in Jim Abbott and I am glad you jumped on the COA band wagon since its the wagon of the future, I fear.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-26-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Congratulations. Hopefully all that funding will help your football program win a MVFC game someday.
            You and me both.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I question the pup reference, my SDSU graduating class celebrated its 50 anniversary this spring, plus I was out of school two years and I am older than Pearl Harbor by 4 months. I will not ask your age, but if you care offer, I am all ears.

Sounds like a good year in fund raising at USD. Something you would have never seen in years of I.D. Weeks, a very feeble president so some alums have told me. You do have an able leader in Jim Abbott and I glad you jumped on the COA band wagon since its the wagon of the future, I fear.
              To clarify, I was stating my 45 years of fandom would make me a pup compared to your years of following the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                Classy. Oh well, maybe November 14th, who knows

Comment

To clarify, I was stating my 45 years of fandom would make me a pup compared to your years of following the Jacks.
                  A scrutiny reader I am not. Thanks for the clarification and good luck to USD on Nov 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    Classy. Oh well, maybe November 14th, who knows

no confidence in the games before that? and its not like your boardis full of class

Comment

Let's play nice, kids.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://triblive.com/sports/college/p...#axzz3mxCohMUB

This article shows what the COA is for the P5 schools. it is somewhat surprising the difference in money among this group.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          Unfortunately this isn't true. Here are the #'s from the 2014 US news college rankings
                          USD's endowment:$210,205,498
                          SDSU's endowment: $102,875,539
                          I was referring to athletic budgets. In addition, I don't recall SDSU begging the students, yep; begging them to help fun our athletic department. Maybe I missed it, I do live far away from Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            I was referring to athletic budgets. In addition, I don't recall SDSU begging the students, yep; begging them to help fun our athletic department. Maybe I missed it, I do live far away from Brookings.
                            Settle down buddy. I've made it clear in the other thread that I don't support USD's use of the GAF (in reference to their support of athletics). I have a pretty good understanding about how that side of things works.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

And yet with all this athletic fundraising success, Herbster was still in front of USD's student association asking them to raise their student fees to support athletics? Makes sense.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

And yet with all this athletic fundraising success, Herbster was still in front of USD's student association asking them to raise their student fees to support athletics? Makes sense.
                                Actually it does make a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X