X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Of Attendance: The Thread

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    This is what I have gathered.
    And where does this leave our football coaches...straight f'd. I wouldn't be surprised if all of our current commitments have already been contacted by other schools with an updated offer that includes COA.

Re: 2016 Recruits

So far there has been no public announcement by SDSU on COA. One probably cannot conclude anything from silence but it seems likely that the athletic administration is carefully making sure that when they announce, they know they can back it up. Note that the NDSU announcement did not state all funds or the source(s) for all funds were locked in. However, if I was an NDSU fan, based on past fundraising performance, I would have confidence that the money for COA will be there. If I was a USD fan, upon reading the USD COA announcement, I would not have the confidence of an NDSU fan and I would probably be concerned that something is getting shifted around, e.g. further improvements to the DakotaDome just dropped on the priority list. (But, if USD has locked in the funding sources, good for them.)

SDSU has undertaken a huge financial investment in facilities these past couple of years and those improvements will pay dividends. I expect the administrators to be certain they have a realistic COA plan in place before it is announced. Until it is announced, I think we have to bide our time. For the past several years, the administration has been instrumental in helping SDSU accomplish more than anyone expected and they deserve our trust. I hope that people who feel compelled to write angry posts on the topic of COA (which you're certainly welcome to do) are only writing those posts after dropping off a substantial check at the athletic offices.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      So far there has been no public announcement by SDSU on COA. One probably cannot conclude anything from silence but it seems likely that the athletic administration is carefully making sure that when they announce, they know they can back it up. Note that the NDSU announcement did not state all funds or the source(s) for all funds were locked in. However, if I was an NDSU fan, based on past fundraising performance, I would have confidence that the money for COA will be there. If I was a USD fan, upon reading the COA announcement, I would immediately be concerned that further improvements to the DakotaDome may have less priority.

SDSU has undertaken a huge financial investment in facilities these past couple of years and those improvements will pay dividends. I expect the administrators to be certain they have a realistic COA plan in place before it is announced. Until it is announced, I think we have to bide our time. For the past several years, the administration has been instrumental in helping SDSU accomplish more than anyone expected and they deserve our trust. I hope that people who feel compelled to write angry posts on the topic of COA (which you're certainly welcome to do) are only writing those posts after dropping off a substantial check at the athletic offices.
      Yep. The part in bold is certainly the solution to the problem.

Comment

So far there has been no public announcement by SDSU on COA. One probably cannot conclude anything from silence but it seems likely that the athletic administration is carefully making sure that when they announce, they know they can back it up. Note that the NDSU announcement did not state all funds or the source(s) for all funds were locked in. However, if I was an NDSU fan, based on past fundraising performance, I would have confidence that the money for COA will be there. If I was a USD fan, upon reading the USD COA announcement, I would not have the confidence of an NDSU fan and I would probably be concerned that something is getting shifted around, e.g. further improvements to the DakotaDome just dropped on the priority list. (But, if USD has locked in the funding sources, good for them.)

As a USD fan, I have no such concerns. I believe that once the 2 ND schools announced their decisions, the cost of USD not offering FCOA is greater than the cost of offering FCOA. I also believe that SDSU is committed to doing the same and would bet that they are telling prospective recruits that they will be offering FCOA.
        USD Fan

Comment

I hope that people who feel compelled to write angry posts on the topic of COA (which you're certainly welcome to do) are only writing those posts after dropping off a substantial check at the athletic offices.
          Right. Since voicing an opinion requires a poster to be a big donor.

Comment

It's hard to imagine that the admin was totally surprised by the NDSU and USD announcements. Something tells me that they have a similar plan, for some reason it has not been announced. We have too much to loose by doing nothing. I for one do not feel the urge to lash out in anger but instead will be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Maybe its the, if you don't vote you can't complain about politics?

I would hope SDSU is being proactive on this front. If this did not shift a priority for the admin, it should have.

however I have issues with the whole COA thing to start with, thats niether here nor there in the debate on where or when SDSU joins those in offering it.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Does anyone have an idea what the total cost would be for the athletic department? Would it be a budget increase of 2%, 5%, 10%, or more?
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Does anyone have an idea what the total cost would be for the athletic department? Would it be a budget increase of 2%, 5%, 10%, or more?
                  That's a hard question to answer as each and every sport has details to deal with. I happen to sit by Anita Wood, Head Softball coach at the Endowment banquet. I asked her about the COA and she explained to me how it worked but did not give any details about how the COA would affect her program. She has 9 scholarships to split amongst 19 players so if a dollar amount goes with each full scholarship then this has to follow the splits in scholarship money to be total equitable. At least this what I am thinking, but I may be totally wrong. Do we have the funds to COA every sport? That might be the biggest question. Would COA be necessary for the minor sports such as tennis and golf? How competitive is it right now absent the COA factor for each sport?
                  '

Comment

When I think COA, all I hear is the sound of increased minimum donations required for season tickets..........

Comment

What ever it takes...just do it sooner than later.

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        In the case of SDSU, it would amount to roughly a 4% increase in your budget.

Comment

It won't ever get cheaper the longer one waits, and we have to stay competitive recruiting wise. Might as well do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            No one has made that assertion and I would not agree with it.

The COA commitment is a tough one when we have so many demands for funding including salaries for coaches, facility improvements etc. I'm squarely in favor of offering the COA for all sports and making that announcement as soon as possible. I have to believe that there cannot be more than a few Jacks fans who don't feel the same. I don't get the anger expressed in some posts. (But I support and will defend the "right" to express that anger on the message board.)

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Maybe its the, if you don't vote you can't complain about politics?
                              i think that's not quite on point, my friend goon although some may try to make that argument. The athletic department doesn't receive big dollars from taxpayers -- at least not directly. But students pay fees that benefit athletics and there is some indirect taxpayer support in the mix. As a result, I think everyone has the right (maybe a duty) to register complaints. Personally, I think we have to start with the idea that the administrators are doing the best they can with limited resources. I expect our COA announcement to be made very soon and I will be disappointed more each day that passes without the announcement because I think it will negatively impact recruiting. But is there anyone who thinks the administration doesn't share those same feelings? Heck, they've been worried about COA for a long time. Me getting angry about it isn't going to do anything to address the problem: funding.

Comment

Working...
                              X