Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    And what about Dekker taking extra steps right in front of the official on his bunny layup? And what about Kaminsky not making a play on the ball and bear-hugging Okafor, only to be called a normal foul?

It continues to be nothing but sour grapes from Wisconsin fans. I love it.

I'm still waiting for the post that blames the officials for not allowing Wisconsin's players to score.
    I am not a Wisconsin fan but I do like them more than Duke.

I don't normally question calls like traveling or most fouls. I did write "you have to adjust to the officials" about the hand checking and bumping the cutter.
    But the calls that I was questioning were the charges. When one team(or both) just put their head down and initiate the contact driving to the basket, you have to call a charge if it is obvious so they don't do that every time down the court and kill the flow of the game. Some of the other calls were questionable but Winslow's were obvious(in my mind).
    The only other calls that I questioned were stepping out of bounds and not getting the replay right on who the ball was off of. I think those two calls were obvious.

Could Wisconsin have made more plays that might have won them the game? Yes! Could a these calls have potentially changed the outcome of the game? Yes!

I sure wouldn't have minded they calling Kaminsky on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      College coaches get away with waaaay more than NBA coaches. Is that one of the benefits of coaching amateur sports?
      I think that's because some NBA players get away with waaay more arguing than college players. If you hear it from both the coach and the players it might drive you crazy.

Comment

The NBA is a players league.

College is a coach's domain. There's a reason Coach K., Roy Williams, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Jim Boeheim never coached in the NBA.

Sure there are some pro coaches who are better at their jobs than others... like at all levels.

These college guys, once they become an institution, pretty tough to get rid of.

Comment

NBA boss Cuban weighs in on the NCAA today as well.
          http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...160308391.html
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Officiating in college basketball is as bad as it has ever been. Refs take over games, it is can ruin a great game. Conferences should no longer control officiating, make it centralized. Work with the NBA in how they are calling games, the NBA has really had a resurgence as of late after changing how they do some things.

Of course the NBA isn't run by coaches like college basketball is, that might be the biggest hurdle to get over. I doubt many coaches want change, especially major changes.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              Officiating in college basketball is as bad as it has ever been. Refs take over games, it is can ruin a great game. Conferences should no longer control officiating, make it centralized. Work with the NBA in how they are calling games, the NBA has really had a resurgence as of late after changing how they do some things.

Of course the NBA isn't run by coaches like college basketball is, that might be the biggest hurdle to get over. I doubt many coaches want change, especially major changes.
              I think alot of the bigger coaches in the game would be for change if it meant a better product for the teams and players. You see the NFL and NBA finally starting to be more proactive with some of the changes. The NCAA itself is so behind the times, so reactive, and has so so many issues both on the court and even more off it with some terrible, outdated rules and the big amateurism debate right now. As long as they are making big bucks, why would they change things drastically though.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                I'll also add, That Kaminsky travels ALOT on his trips down the paint. Not all the time...but often.

It doesn't get called. If it was a lesser player, it would get called.

Again, I don't think the refs won the game for Duke, unlike others. I just didn't like seeing a flurry of calls in one direction, right after the coach got in someone's face. It looks bad.
                Kind of like , ala Kim Mulkey, Baylor, resurrecting that dead,beat,horse.

Comment

Remember the changes that were implemented at the beginning of the 2013-14 season? There was an attempt at increasing the offensive output of a game. Before the OOC schedule was completed, the refs had abandoned much of the physical defensive play calls and offensive calls that did not include an outstretched arm. It does force the coach to be after the ref all game if it will yield some favor during the game. The referees have at least as many games in the season as the players. They should be sharpened up enough to get the calls in order more times. I realize that a ref can miss a travel like a player misses a layup, but the refs should not miss so many "layups". There are 3 guys on the floor to watch 10 players. The refs can even take a time out late in the game for a do over or replay for flagrant fouls. Also, the replay guy might be better if not an official on the floor.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    Remember the changes that were implemented at the beginning of the 2013-14 season? There was an attempt at increasing the offensive output of a game. Before the OOC schedule was completed, the refs had abandoned much of the physical defensive play calls and offensive calls that did not include an outstretched arm. It does force the coach to be after the ref all game if it will yield some favor during the game. The referees have at least as many games in the season as the players. They should be sharpened up enough to get the calls in order more times. I realize that a ref can miss a travel like a player misses a layup, but the refs should not miss so many "layups". There are 3 guys on the floor to watch 10 players. The refs can even take a time out late in the game for a do over or replay for flagrant fouls. Also, the replay guy might be better if not an official on the floor.
                    That's my simple suggestion...enforce the rules you adopted 2 years ago. Like you said, the officials did it for at least one third of the season but then just stopped. There's no question the games were brutal to watch but if they would have just continued they could have cleaned the game up. Huge mistake.

Here's a link to those rules: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...eate-offensive

Comment

I believe the real problem with college basketball is the players are not skilled enough. The players are being recruited more for what their athleticism and upside than by their basketball skills.

Comment

Working...
                      X