Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
    You can say they didn't adjust to the high screen and roll Duke ran for Tyus Jones, but the two charges by Winslow that did not get called, the foot on the line by Okafor, the flop by Jones on Dukan's post-up, the ball off the finger tip that was "reviewed" are not plays you adjust to. They were the wrong calls that hurt Wisconsin's chances of winning. If all of those had been called correctly and Duke still won the game than more power to them, unfortunately we will never know.
    You guys didn't tell me Bo Ryan was a member of this board...Officiating was awful both ways. I'm not going to give you a play by play of the first half though. Duke made more plays/shots during crunch time and thus, are national champs.

Comment

All this complaining about the ref's is annoying. They weren't perfect but they aren't the reason Wisconsin lost.

If Wisconsin could have even slightly defended the high screen and kept Jones from going off they win.
      If anyone other than Nigel Hayes could hit a three they could have won the game.
      If Sam Dekker doesn't go 0-6 from 3, they could have won the game.

Duke had their two best players on the bench with foul trouble and Wisconsin couldn't take advantage. Jones and Allen stepped up and won the game for Duke, while Wisconsin went stagnant on offense and couldn't score.

Comment

Agree lets talk spring sports

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Agree lets talk spring sports
          Let's talk UMPIRE'S......hope they can tell a strike from a ball........j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            All this complaining about the ref's is annoying. They weren't perfect but they aren't the reason Wisconsin lost.

If Wisconsin could have even slightly defended the high screen and kept Jones from going off they win.
            If anyone other than Nigel Hayes could hit a three they could have won the game.
            If Sam Dekker doesn't go 0-6 from 3, they could have won the game.

Duke had their two best players on the bench with foul trouble and Wisconsin couldn't take advantage. Jones and Allen stepped up and won the game for Duke, while Wisconsin went stagnant on offense and couldn't score.
            I agree with all of your points but I think they could have still been the reason. If Wisconsin does more they might have won or if the officials make some of the calls correct in the last 5 minutes they might have won.

Here are some of the questionable calls in the last 5 minutes of the game. They could of called charging on Winslow(twice), called the stepping on the baseline and called the ball off of the correct person(mr76's post) they might have won the game, too.
            It just seemed like Duke got every call in the last 5 minutes. There might have been calls earlier in the game but come crunch time, everything went Dukes way.
            Lots of times in college basketball they call hand checking or bumping the cutter and that didn't seem to happen in this game. You have to adjust to the officials but I don't remember seeing a game officiated like that this year. I'm sure it's happened but I don't remember one.
            Okafer's second foul shouldn't have been called but I think that Winslow should have had two charges so he should have been out of the game. There were a few more calls that went against Duke but not many of them stick out as bad as the ones that I mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I agree with all of your points but I think they could have still been the reason. If Wisconsin does more they might have won or if the officials make some of the calls correct in the last 5 minutes they might have won.

Here are some of the questionable calls in the last 5 minutes of the game. They could of called charging on Winslow(twice), called the stepping on the baseline and called the ball off of the correct person(mr76's post) they might have won the game, too.
              It just seemed like Duke got every call in the last 5 minutes. There might have been calls earlier in the game but come crunch time, everything went Dukes way.
              Lots of times in college basketball they call hand checking or bumping the cutter and that didn't seem to happen in this game. You have to adjust to the officials but I don't remember seeing a game officiated like that this year. I'm sure it's happened but I don't remember one.
              Okafer's second foul shouldn't have been called but I think that Winslow should have had two charges so he should have been out of the game. There were a few more calls that went against Duke but not many of them stick out as bad as the ones that I mentioned above.
              This is getting old. When does the whining stop and accountability start? how about Wisconsin making maybe the biggest bonehead play of the game fouling one of the best free throw shooters in the country at the half court line with 35ish seconds on the clock in a 1 posession game? Enough of the pity party and give credit to Dukes freshmen for making championship plays.

Comment

Ref's are infallible ,and they cannot ever affect any game ,that's the bottom line and you have no right to complain,quit your whining all you annoying people [sarcasm]

Reading between the lines, 101

Don't like to use sarcasm to make a point, so I apologize. Maybe it's time to divert attention to another, less controversial subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                  Ref's are infallible ,and they cannot ever affect any game ,that's the bottom line and you have no right to complain,quit your whining all you annoying people [sarcasm]

Reading between the lines, 101

Don't like to use sarcasm to make a point, so I apologize. Maybe it's time to divert attention to another, less controversial subject.
                  I'm a duke fan and I will agree the reffing was horrendous, but it had been awful all game long. I also have reffed over a hundred basketball games in my life so I have a different perspective on this game. Say all you want about the refs, because they were bad. But the refs did not make Wisonsin settle for jump shot after jump shot when duke went on its run, and the refs certainly didnt prevent wisonsin from changing the way they defended the high ball screen. I've watched the second half a few times now, and IMO using the refs as the scapegoat in this game is over the top. I will say there were 3-4 times where I thought to myself, wow that has to be a makeup call to offset another bad call that just happened...baffling

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

And what about Dekker taking extra steps right in front of the official on his bunny layup? And what about Kaminsky not making a play on the ball and bear-hugging Okafor, only to be called a normal foul?

It continues to be nothing but sour grapes from Wisconsin fans. I love it.

I'm still waiting for the post that blames the officials for not allowing Wisconsin's players to score.

Comment

Allow me to interject. (for a moment).

The refs were bad. That happens. It's part of this game. It just is, and if you don't think so try coaching HS or JV or even JH basketball sometime. You just have to play through it.

Now, I have no doubt that the officials were not biased for Duke at the end of the game. They didn't win the game for Duke, or lose the game for Wisconsin.
                      (You could argue that they helped...but they didn't make the plays)

One thing I do find trouble with, is that when Wisconsin went ahead by 9, Coach K called timeout as Duke crossed halfcourt, and he went directly to an official and got right in his face...CBS cut to commercial, you only saw it for about 1.5 seconds. So I don't know how long he was out there, or what he said, or what he was talking to the official about.

I said, jokingly, to my boys, "just watch, Duke is going to get 3 straight foul calls here". I was joking, but it happened. 3 straight and Duke was in the bonus. If I remember clearly, there was then a blocking foul on Duke on the perimeter, and then 2 more fouls on Wisconsin(9), before Okafor got called for his 4th.

Officials are human. And every coach would like to have the power to influence the officials. But if you think for one moment, some coaches don't have more influence than others, you are kidding yourselves.

I just just didn't like seeing how that played out.
                      Last edited by da_coach; 04-08-2015, 02:05 PM. Reason: eliminated a few sentences

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        Allow me to interject. (for a moment).

The refs were bad. That happens. It's part of this game. It just is, and if you don't think so try coaching HS or JV or even JH basketball sometime. You just have to play through it.

Now, I have no doubt that the officials were not biased for Duke at the end of the game. They didn't win the game for Duke, or lose the game for Wisconsin.
                        (You could argue that they helped...but they didn't make the plays)

One thing I do find trouble with, is that when Wisconsin went ahead by 9, Coach K called timeout as Duke crossed halfcourt, and he went directly to an official and got right in his face...CBS cut to commercial, you only saw it for about 1.5 seconds. So I don't know how long he was out there, or what he said, or what he was talking to the official about.

I said, jokingly, to my boys, "just watch, Duke is going to get 3 straight foul calls here". I was joking, but it happened. 3 straight and Duke was in the bonus. If I remember clearly, there was then a blocking foul on Duke on the perimeter, and then 2 more fouls on Wisconsin(9), before Okafor got called for his 4th.

Officials are human. And every coach would like to have the power to influence the officials. But if you think for one moment, some coaches don't have more influence than others, you are kidding yourselves.

I just just didn't like seeing how that played out.
                        I see where you are coming from, but a coach works the refs all game long, at any level. Does a coach like Coack K know what buttons to press or what to say to a ref to mess with him better than most? you bet. If a coach can work the refs psychologically to somehow influence the game in his favor, more power to him. In a game with 2 great coaches like this, with both constantly giving the refs an earful, not sure I agree. Only one of those next 3 calls was all that questionable. Also, in between there was what looked to be a pretty blatant walk by Koenig in the corner on a trap so, to each his own. K worked the refs all first half and that got him a whopping 2 fouls called on wisconsin. Maybe K slipped him a wad of hundos the second time, thatd influence me.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
                          I see where you are coming from, but a coach works the refs all game long, at any level. Does a coach like Coack K know what buttons to press or what to say to a ref to mess with him better than most? you bet. If a coach can work the refs psychologically to somehow influence the game in his favor, more power to him. In a game with 2 great coaches like this, with both constantly giving the refs an earful, not sure I agree. Only one of those next 3 calls was all that questionable. Also, in between there was what looked to be a pretty blatant walk by Koenig in the corner on a trap so, to each his own. K worked the refs all first half and that got him a whopping 2 fouls called on wisconsin. Maybe K slipped him a wad of hundos the second time, thatd influence me.

Hey , youre team won(not USD thank god) Why do you need to argue with every bad thing that is said about Duke. You either love em or hate em. Kind of like my Irish.

Comment

I'll also add, That Kaminsky travels ALOT on his trips down the paint. Not all the time...but often.

It doesn't get called. If it was a lesser player, it would get called.

Again, I don't think the refs won the game for Duke, unlike others. I just didn't like seeing a flurry of calls in one direction, right after the coach got in someone's face. It looks bad.

Comment

I did not watch the game, so basketballed, I could not watch another game. So maybe I don't have a dog in this fight.

Whether Duke won by default is a question unanswered in many minds. So carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
                                College coaches get away with waaaay more than NBA coaches. Is that one of the benefits of coaching amateur sports?
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X