Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ND legislature and Sioux name

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    The ND State Board of Higher Education needs to direct UND to retire the name. They did that yesterday. UND will now start the process on their end. They're getting pretty good at it since this is the third time they've had to start the process. With the exception of the hockey and basketball/volleyball arena, the work should be done by the start of school. The arenas are private property on state land, so that will be interesting. If the arena management chooses to not remove the logos, there's not a lot UND can do about it. Since there's no way the Ralph(hockey) or the Betty(basketball/volleyball) will be hosting NCAA tournaments in men's hockey, MBB, WBB or VB, the only thing to be worried about is women's hockey. If push came to shove, UND could host a women's tourney game in Fargo at the Scheels Arena.
    The bronze horse and Sioux Warrior need to be removed, along with several logos etched into the brick of the building and marble floors. How the Englestad family handles this will indeed be interesting. If they bulk on this they could be filing amended tax returns if the period in which the donations were made falls with in the three year statue of limitations. It aint over yet, and NDSU and SDSU can learn from this in dealing with generous donors, who appear to wag the dog as did Ralphy and family.

Comment

I know USD received their approval from the NCAA for finishing the transition to D-1. I have not heard weather UND also received approval from the NCAA. I know when USD received their approval a couple of months ago, UND had not heard from the NCAA. UND needs to get approval by July 1st I believe. Could the NCAA withhold approval until this whole logo, nickname issue is completely resolved?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        The bronze horse and Sioux Warrior need to be removed, along with several logos etched into the brick of the building and marble floors. How the Englestad family handles this will indeed be interesting. If they bulk on this they could be filing amended tax returns if the period in which the donations were made falls with in the three year statue of limitations. It aint over yet, and NDSU and SDSU can learn from this in dealing with generous donors, who appear to wag the dog as did Ralphy and family.
        The stuff you mentioned does not have to be removed. The settlement agreement broke things down into roughly four categories. The first is the easy stuff. Hanging signs that can easily be removed, the logo under the ice, stuff like that. This stuff must be removed right away to be in compliance. The second category is stuff that wears out. Logos in the carpet and on seats, stuff like that. For those things there was a staggered replacement timetable that was set over about six years. Then there was the cost-prohibitive stuff. Mainly this was for the inlayed granite logo in the floor and the brick logos built into the walls. This stuff can stay. Finally there's the "items of historical significance". The bronze statue, championship banners, displays containing photos and old jerseys, stuff like that. This can also stay.

Of course the settlement acknowledges that UND doesn't control the building, so there's a provision in case the arena chooses not to comply. If this happens, the only penalty to UND is that the offending buildings will not be able to host NCAA tournament events. The Alerus Center is already logo-free(or close to it), so football playoff games will be good to go. That leaves basketball(DI regionals wouldn't go there anyway), volleyball(odds that UND will ever be a top-16 seed are nil), men's hockey(regionals currently go to NHL venues), and women's hockey(this one might hurt). So even if the arena fights things, it won't hurt UND all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
          I know USD received their approval from the NCAA for finishing the transition to D-1. I have not heard weather UND also received approval from the NCAA. I know when USD received their approval a couple of months ago, UND had not heard from the NCAA. UND needs to get approval by July 1st I believe. Could the NCAA withhold approval until this whole logo, nickname issue is completely resolved?
          It is 99% complete now with the Measure 4 going down in flames, and the move by the ND BOHE to order UND to remove the logo. I would be surprised if the NCAA knew nothing of either of these two events. I would think the NCAA will approve the move to D1. Any group or individuals who tries to make a legal issue out of it now will not be taken seriously.

Comment

Here is the latest from GF Herald regarding the logo removal. It mentions the imagery at the Ralph.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/238935/

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Here is the latest from GF Herald regarding the logo removal. It mentions the imagery at the Ralph.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/238935/
              Can anyone clarify this for me. I remember reading somewhere (too lazy to go find it) that the group organinzing petition signatures were actually getting signatures for two political moves. One was for this most recent voted down referendum. I had read this group hedged their bets and also were getting signatures for a constitutional amdendment to be considered this fall. Is anything going to come about this?

Comment

There is a group circulating petitions to put an amendment to the ND Constitution on the ballot ... I think they are shooting for a 2013 vote.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  Can anyone clarify this for me. I remember reading somewhere (too lazy to go find it) that the group organinzing petition signatures were actually getting signatures for two political moves. One was for this most recent voted down referendum. I had read this group hedged their bets and also were getting signatures for a constitutional amdendment to be considered this fall. Is anything going to come about this?
                  They say they're going to keep working for signatures, but the issue is effectively dead. I think they need 27,000 names and they say they have either 20,000 or 25,000 already. I think they've said they want to get 40,000 before they turn in the petition because there are always a good number of invalid names on any petition. The original goal was to put the issue on the November ballot, but they seem to have given up on that. They say it's because they want more time to "educate" voters after the big defeat they just suffered, but most believe it's because they're having a real tough time getting any more signatures. The plan now is to put it on the 2013 November ballot. I'll be a little surprised if they ever do get it on a ballot, but even if they do it's sure to go down in bigger flames than their first attempt.

Comment

I agree with Hammer's comments.

Comment

Let's dig this old thread up rather than starting a new one.

I'm sure you all know that UND chose Fighting Hawks as their new nickname. The logo was announced yesterday to underwhelming response. For $50k, they got a single logo and a new wordmark.

UND_Primary_Mark_Full_Color_LBG.jpgUND_ND_FH_Wordmark_Full_Color_LBG.jpg

Comment

Not reminiscent of the North Stars at all. : Sarcasm:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          Not reminiscent of the North Stars at all. : Sarcasm:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                          Or the US Postal Service
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                          X