ND legislature and Sioux name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND legislature and Sioux name

On Monday or Tuesday, the ND Legislature is going to vote on a bill which would require UND to retain the Sioux name/logo. If that bill passes, the NCAA’s reaction ought to be interesting. The UND President, Robert Kelley, according to the Grand Forks Herald, is asking the NCAA to delay the agreed-upon deadline for changes to 2015 so that UND can work through some issues. Story in the Herald: LINK

Some interesting spinning going on in the Sioux fans message board. I’ve come to respect the ability of one spinner in particular (but not necessarily his point of view): the guy should be working for MAD Magazine or a US Senator who isn’t concerned about things past his nose.

Just speculating: Assume the bill passes (I bet it won't). How will the Big Sky Conference view that action? I wonder (again, just speculating) whether the Big Sky wouldn't mind a reason for a 'do-over' after it accepted UND expecting USD would also join the Big Sky, and then USD went east.

I think this is a very sad distraction for a pretty-good university. I wonder how often the new President* goes to bed wishing UND had no athletic teams.

(Pres. Kelley took over in 2008 when the name/logo dispute was well underway...he's been saddled with the responsibility of carrying out the State Board of Higher Education's mandate to dump the name.)
    Last edited by JackJD; 02-20-2011, 12:52 PM.

Re: ND legislature and Sioux name

The name issue will never go away if they were to keep it (which they wont). Friday was the first meeting of the transition team and very little was accomplished but it was the first meeting. If they try and sue the NCAA there is one thing these morons in Bismarck are forgetting. THE NCAA HOLDS THE KEY TO THEIR MOVE, the NCAA could deny UND admittance into DI hence leaving them in DII without ANY conference affiliation and also Minnesota and Wisconsin wanting even less to do with UND and the WCHA and push the B10 for hockey
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I was at the pow-wow/wacipi put on by the SDSU NAC at Frost Arena yesterday and I saw a couple people wearing UND Sioux shooting shirts. Doesn't have anything to do with the issue, I just thought it was interesting and I was not expecting to see it.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm as tired of hearing of this issue as anyone and feel UND should just let the think die and move on witha new mascot. I do think the NCAA is again being very hypocritical by bullying one school and allowing other schools with bigger pocket books to continue with their native american mascots. I understand they justify it by local tribes in those communities saying they suppport it, but either you allow it or you don't.

Comment

This issue seems to be very tiring to everyone concerned. There are UND alumni who refuse to give up.

The article mentions a capital drive that is on going. I believe it is 100 million more than that at than the on-going drive at SDSU. I read an UND Alumi Review magazine about Christmas time and it showed the numbers to date of funds raised and where they had to go to reach the goal. In other words, they have a some work to do in order to make 300 million. I do not recall the dates of when the drive is to conclude, and how long the drive has been in motion. What I do recall is that every area that had a fund drive goal was short of its accompoliishment. Without that report, I hesitate to say what impact, the logo has had on the drive but it appears to have some impact and enough to where the legislature is concerned. If the drive falls short, these needs are going to have to come from tax dollars and that is a concern. Drawing a connection between the capital drive and legislative action may seem looney, but I think there might be a connection.

The legislature in ND seems to have a better outlook towards higher education than what we have in the SD legislature. Just drive around both campuses in Fargo and Grand Forks and you see some nice buildings, many of these buildings were built with tax dollars. I think the legislature does not want this drive to be a failure and I suspect this is their purpose in pushing for this bill. One of the sponsors of this bill is the Senate Majority leader who happens to be a big alum and supporter of NDSU. So go figure that one.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I'm as tired of hearing of this issue as anyone and feel UND should just let the think die and move on witha new mascot. I do think the NCAA is again being very hypocritical by bullying one school and allowing other schools with bigger pocket books to continue with their native american mascots. I understand they justify it by local tribes in those communities saying they suppport it, but either you allow it or you don't.
            Well, UND is trying to let it die and move on. This is the state legislature that is doing everything.

And, the bill passed the House today, and it wasn't even really close (63-28 I think). When I saw that, I definitely cringed. Then reading SiouxSports and seeing all the people excited really was irritating. Most that really want to keep the name are hockey only fans. The hockey team won't really be affected at all if the name stays, and that's all they think about. Me, I love all Sioux sports, and just thinking of what could happen if this bill passes makes me uneasy. Could the NCAA keep UND in purgatory? I'm sure they could find some reason to do so. This could definitely hurt all our student athletes and all of our sports programs. I am and will always be a huge Sioux fan, but I'm a bigger fan of the University of North Dakota and hope that the Senate is smart enough to vote down this bill. I'm ready to just move on.

I guess this ends my rant. Will be interesting to see what happens.....
            Fighting Sioux

Comment

Bet Douple has some drinks tonight to celebrate the Big Sky having this as a issue and not him!!

This could be a huge blow to their transition and affiliation if it goes all the way and are dumb enough to file a lawsuit against the NCAA
              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Andddd....... http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/309545/

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post
                  Well, UND is trying to let it die and move on. This is the state legislature that is doing everything.

And, the bill passed the House today, and it wasn't even really close (63-28 I think). When I saw that, I definitely cringed. Then reading SiouxSports and seeing all the people excited really was irritating. Most that really want to keep the name are hockey only fans. The hockey team won't really be affected at all if the name stays, and that's all they think about. Me, I love all Sioux sports, and just thinking of what could happen if this bill passes makes me uneasy. Could the NCAA keep UND in purgatory? I'm sure they could find some reason to do so. This could definitely hurt all our student athletes and all of our sports programs. I am and will always be a huge Sioux fan, but I'm a bigger fan of the University of North Dakota and hope that the Senate is smart enough to vote down this bill. I'm ready to just move on.

I guess this ends my rant. Will be interesting to see what happens.....

What way did the congressmen that represent the tribal districts vote?
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    What way did the congressmen that represent the tribal districts vote?
                    If I'm reading the map correctly, all four voted in favor of the bill. It should be noted that, in the case of both reservations, the tribal land is by far the smaller portion of each legislative district.

If you go to this website:
                    http://web.apps.state.nd.us/hubexplo...st/viewer.html
                    The Spirit Lake reservation basically makes up the part of district 23 from the southern shore of Devils Lake(the jagged line) south to the straight county line(just above the number "23" on the map). The Standing Rock reservation(home to the tribe that has refused to give permission to use the name) makes up part of district 31, from the jagged line to the South Dakota border.

Comment

This whole deal is just absurd.

We're keeping it

We're getting rid of it.

We're making you get rid of it.

We're making you keep it.

Good grief. What a joke.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Well, Centenary is going to need a travel partner in DIII. I bet a lower division like that would let the name thing slide.

I think that if the NCAA gets sued, then they should put them in a purgatory until all is decided. Perhaps a post-season ban until a final answer is given? Ban the hockey team from the playoffs for a year or two and thoughts may change.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It would be fitting if all the oil deposits,and the money that goes with them would suddenly dry up and the ND legislature would have to make hard decisions about issues that really matter. What's the name of that oldie song - "To Much Time On My Hands" ?

Comment

I remember listening to ESPN radio when I was young and they were talking about the NCAA and one of the guys said whatever you do don't make the NCAA mad, they are better then the FBI at finding anything wrong, and they are the judge, jury, and court room all together.

I understand why the Sioux are upset, if it was the SDSU fighting Sioux and had been for many many years, I'd guess many of us would be upset, the fact that other schools like the Illini, or the Utes that have been allowed to keep their logo's the same would make me mad as well.

However like my parents told me sometimes you have to acknowledge when you are beat and thats the way I look at it, the best that can happen is they "sue" the NCAA, they get into a very long and expensive court case, and while it is all taken care of they get to be under the control of the NCAA. Better dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's because there is going to be no leeway with the NCAA.

Comment

The NCAA has no consistency on this issue.

Acceptable:

Central Michigan Chippawas
                              Florida St Seminoles
                              SDSU Aztecs
                              Illinois Illini
                              William and Mary Tribe

Notre Dame FIGHTING Irish

Unacceptable:

North Dakota Fighting Sioux
                              Mississippi (Ole Miss) Rebels
                              Ark St. Indians

Please show me how any of these are acceptable and UND Fighting Sioux are not. The "tribes ok'ed the nickname" arguement is lame, as Sioux tribes approve. Rather than tell UND that they can't be the Fighting Sioux, can they be the Sioux (no fighting)? The NCAA is a monopoly business, that begs for better oversight. A state government vs NCAA should help reel in the powerful NCAA.

Comment

Working...
                              X