Big Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Sky

Eastern Washington University of the Big Sky is in Cheney about 20 miles from Spokane. EWU is the school that put in the red turf at their stadium. Since Gonzaga doesn't have football, EWU is the next best thing.

Comment

I like the comment about Volleyball in the article

"when North Dakota goes to Sac. State and plays in front of 219 fans"

Too many times, people will look at a conference situation for the basketball's and football and maybe even baseball. But forget about soccer, softball, volleyball and other sports that generally include small numbers of athletes and little to no attendance.

In an FBS conference, where your football team gets millions even if its pathetic and a lot more if they are good you can afford to travel across the country, but last year USD's athletic department lost money.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        EWU(located in Cheney) is just outside of Spokane.
        That hadn't occurred to me -- you're right, good catch.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I like the comment about Volleyball in the article

"when North Dakota goes to Sac. State and plays in front of 219 fans"

Too many times, people will look at a conference situation for the basketball's and football and maybe even baseball. But forget about soccer, softball, volleyball and other sports that generally include small numbers of athletes and little to no attendance.

In an FBS conference, where your football team gets millions even if its pathetic and a lot more if they are good you can afford to travel across the country, but last year USD's athletic department lost money.

Most athletic departments in the NCAA do not make money. Maybe a few every year actually accomplish that. The point is to try and break even.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Most athletic departments in the NCAA do not make money. Maybe a few every year actually accomplish that. The point is to try and break even.
            I think I read that their football team lost money alone. Now some of that probably had to do with upping the scholarships so they could get 2 payday games this year but still. No matter how successful USD football is I don't see them ever getting big enough to foot the bills for the rest of the athletics in the Big Sky. Just too expensive to travel. It is in the Universities best interest not to be traveling to Sac. State for volleyball. No offense to volleyball or to the big sky intended. Pres. Abbott made a really good call, whatever he did I think he did what will turn out to be a good deal for the University of South Dakota.

Comment

the funny things you hear....

Sitting talking to some friends of mine whose daughter is a Soph over at USD.. (I know I know, friends don't let friends go to USD, but they are both Alumni so what can you do... j/k...)

anyhow, the daughter came home and was all... Did you hear, USD is going to Host SDSU for Homecoming next year!!!

All I could say is I Promise it isn't happening next year..... just goes to show though some of the rumors floating around USD right now.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                the funny things you hear....

Sitting talking to some friends of mine whose daughter is a Soph over at USD.. (I know I know, friends don't let friends go to USD, but they are both Alumni so what can you do... j/k...)

anyhow, the daughter came home and was all... Did you hear, USD is going to Host SDSU for Homecoming next year!!!

All I could say is I Promise it isn't happening next year..... just goes to show though some of the rumors floating around USD right now.
                There's your explanation. Juuust kidding
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

As the BSC turns:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c03286.html

University of Montana to announce decision on WAC move within week

By CHELSI MOY of the Missoulian missoulian.com | Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:15 am | (21) Comments

Within days to a week, the University of Montana is expected to announce whether the Grizzlies will move to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Only a month into his presidency, President Royce Engstrom will decide whether UM will leave the Big Sky Conference, where it's been a member since 1963, and join the Western Athletic Conference.

"We've been working diligently on this and are coming close to a final decision," Engstrom said Tuesday at a meeting on campus. Within "days to a week" Engstrom said he would announce the decision.

Engstrom met Monday evening with members of the UM student athletic advisory board. And two weeks ago, UM received the draft report from consultants charged with taking a microscope to Grizzly athletics.

"At this point, the final decision hasn't been rendered but after listening to so many groups on and off the campus, I think he's ready to have this behind us," said UM athletic director Jim O'Day.

While there are many factors at play, Engstrom in recent weeks has said that one important consideration is the Grizzlies' relationship with Montana State University, which did not receive an invitation to join the WAC.

It is against WAC rules for members to play schools in conferences such as the Big Sky, but the WAC promised UM it could continue to compete against MSU if the Grizzlies decided to make the jump, O'Day said.

"The No. 1 thing on (Engstrom's) list is to continue that rivalry," he said. "It's important to the state. It's important to everybody. It's a compromise they extended to us."

The Big Sky Conference last week expanded, with the addition of North Dakota and Southern Utah. Earlier this year, UC Davis and Cal Poly announced plans for their football programs to join the Big Sky in 2012.

The University of South Dakota received an invitation to join the Big Sky, but declined, choosing to go to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Engstrom, who worked 28 years at USD, had several discussions with administrators there about joining the Big Sky, he said.

While disappointed that South Dakota chose to go to the Missouri Valley instead of the Big Sky, Engstrom said he understands the reasoning behind the decision, which reinstates the rivalry between USD and South Dakota State University.

Regardless, Engstrom suspects that the musical chairs among universities and athletic conferences will not end soon.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here's an editorial by a Big-Sky partisan who claims the Big Sky has its eye on NDSU:

http://helenair.com/sports/football/...cc4c03286.html

Comment

I think people in Montana think that the relationship between UND and NDSU is a "good relationship", like it is between UM/Montana St. For example...Montana is actually thinking about staying in the FCS because is doesn't want to mess up the "Brawl of the Wild" game???
                      I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone at NDSU that is saying..."man, let's jump out of a good conference situation to one that will cost us around $1M more PER YEAR, just so we can play UND every year and be travel buddies with them too!!"

I'm not saying one is right or one is wrong here, just to clarify, but I think we all would agree that the feelings between UND/NDSU are, well, still not good.

If anything the Big Sky should be worried that the Summit/MVFC will make a play for UND, once Patty realizes that a two divison 6 team league is probably the way to go. IMO she should have realized that when she caved in 8 hours to USD last week.
                      It took all I had not to yell something out to her at halftime of last weeks game against MSU along the lines of "Welcome to Brookings Patty...you're a Master Negotiator!" I'm sure my sarcasim would've been lost on many...including her.

Go Jacks....Beat the Bison!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Montana to stay

http://www.kpax.com/news/um-staying-...ky-conference/

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                          I think people in Montana think that the relationship between UND and NDSU is a "good relationship", like it is between UM/Montana St. For example...Montana is actually thinking about staying in the FCS because is doesn't want to mess up the "Brawl of the Wild" game???
                          I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone at NDSU that is saying..."man, let's jump out of a good conference situation to one that will cost us around $1M more PER YEAR, just so we can play UND every year and be travel buddies with them too!!"

I'm not saying one is right or one is wrong here, just to clarify, but I think we all would agree that the feelings between UND/NDSU are, well, still not good.

If anything the Big Sky should be worried that the Summit/MVFC will make a play for UND, once Patty realizes that a two divison 6 team league is probably the way to go. IMO she should have realized that when she caved in 8 hours to USD last week.
                          It took all I had not to yell something out to her at halftime of last weeks game against MSU along the lines of "Welcome to Brookings Patty...you're a Master Negotiator!" I'm sure my sarcasim would've been lost on many...including her.

Go Jacks....Beat the Bison!!
                          I keep hearing this magical number of $1M. Quantify it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            I keep hearing this magical number of $1M. Quantify it.

I went off of Abbot's quote in the AL that it would cost USD $800K more per year for their program to be in the Big Sky vs. Summit/MVFC, and I believe UND has baseball and USD doesn't and I belive UND has to add Men's tennis. Hence the extra $200K.
                            So be proud yote...I used USD as a source...but...considering how they count attendance, you're probably correct in assuming that number is highly overstated.
                            Go Jacks...Beat the Bison!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Here's an editorial by a Big-Sky partisan who claims the Big Sky has its eye on NDSU:

http://helenair.com/sports/football/...cc4c03286.html
                              The headline in the story looks misleading. It looks more like the author's wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                                I went off of Abbot's quote in the AL that it would cost USD $800K more per year for their program to be in the Big Sky vs. Summit/MVFC, and I believe UND has baseball and USD doesn't and I belive UND has to add Men's tennis. Hence the extra $200K.
                                So be proud yote...I used USD as a source...but...considering how they count attendance, you're probably correct in assuming that number is highly overstated.
                                Go Jacks...Beat the Bison!!
                                I am proud of you my man. Excellent source. I hate to break it to you, but the guy that counts our attendance also counts yours. Kinda sucks doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X