Big Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Sky

At no time did I ever believe USD was headed to the BSC. It just didn't make sense on either side to allow that to happen. Sure, 10 teams in the MVFC is not ideal but its less of an issue than allowing a university like USD to leave the Summit. Remove the emotional aspect and think logically and this is the best result for pretty much everyone involved.

UNI, NDSU, and SDSU recognize that USD is a solid program that will only improve the competition in the MV. No doubt some of the eastern teams are concerned about the quality of the program at USD as they are unfamiliar. However, several of those programs understand the importance of bolstering the Summit league for the future.

This doesn't change my outlook one bit. I never hoped for the resumption of the rivalry but understood it would occur. As part of that understanding I assumed it would be in the form of conference affiliation and it appears that indeed it will be.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think we have to start working together to make DI a better place for both schools. Time to set hard feelings aside and look to the future. Next step, get the damn BOR on the right track so the handcuffs can come off and we can do this right!
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...on+dollar+game

I still think they should play this game in Sioux Falls every year with season ticket holders and students getting guaranteed seats, with any leftovers (yeah right) being sold first come first serve. The revenue lost from losing a home game would be dwarfed by additional season ticket sales.

This would help season ticket sales at both schools, as the only way you're guaranteed a spot to sit is to have a season ticket.

This plan would not work so well if season ticket sales exceed capacity of Howard Wood.

If it flops, just go back to playing home/home conference schedule, no big deal. If it is a hit, it could be huuuuuuge.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I still think they should play this game in Sioux Falls every year with season ticket holders and students getting guaranteed seats, with any leftovers (yeah right) being sold first come first serve. The revenue lost from losing a home game would be dwarfed by additional season ticket sales.

This would help season ticket sales at both schools, as the only way you're guaranteed a spot to sit is to have a season ticket.

This plan would not work so well if season ticket sales exceed capacity of Howard Wood.

If it flops, just go back to playing home/home conference schedule, no big deal. If it is a hit, it could be huuuuuuge.
        Sorry not in favor (and I live in Sioux Falls). Atmosphere at Howard Wood does not compare to Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Sorry not in favor (and I live in Sioux Falls). Atmosphere at Howard Wood does not compare to Coughlin Alumni Stadium.
          Agree, even if it SDSU vs USD. If USD is indeed committed to the move to DI they need to expand the dome and get basketball facility built.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I agree to an extent, and would be happy to drive to Brookings for the game (Edit: I doubt that I would get tickets to the USD home game). But if a game like this could increase season ticket sales by 1000-5000 or more, would you feel the same?

Do it, and that one game with a mediocre atmosphere could dramatically impact revenue for both athletic departments every year. Don't do it, and the game gets circled on the calendar by a bunch of casual fans and its the only game they go to every other year.

What would be the harm in trying it? (I know SDSU has played in Sioux Falls before with lackluster results, but a game against USD is a different animal, IMO)
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Howard Wood is smaller than CAS. Don't see it happening.

Comment

I agree to an extent, and would be happy to drive to Brookings for the game (Edit: I doubt that I would get tickets to the USD home game). But if a game like this could increase season ticket sales by 1000-5000 or more, would you feel the same?

Do it, and that one game with a mediocre atmosphere could dramatically impact revenue for both athletic departments every year. Don't do it, and the game gets circled on the calendar by a bunch of casual fans and its the only game they go to every other year.

What would be the harm in trying it? (I know SDSU has played in Sioux Falls before with lackluster results, but a game against USD is a different animal, IMO)
                As of right now, SF doesn't have a facility that would work. Maybe after Howard Wood has been reconstructed, I might be more inclined. But right now I much rather spend my Saturdays in Brookings. Plus by moving the game to Sioux Falls you are alienating the Students.

Comment

As of right now, SF doesn't have a facility that would work. Maybe after Howard Wood has been reconstructed, I might be more inclined. But right now I much rather spend my Saturdays in Brookings. Plus by moving the game to Sioux Falls you are alienating the Students.
                  What he said.

Howard Wood holds what, 12K for capacity? Not a big enough venue and not fair to the local boosters that pump alot of money into the athletic programs. You don't think some of the big Brookings boosters would be a little angry if you pulled the biggest gate of the year away from them?

I really don't think moving a game to Sioux Falls would impact season ticket sales very much either. You may get a few fair weather fans to come that wouldn't otherwise go to Brookings or Vermillion but I doubt you'd get all that many more people to sign up for season tickets just because of one game in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Also, If I was a business owner/city comissioner/SDSU Student in Brookings I would not be happy that this game was being played in SF. Let us not forget...the city of Brookings is going to be an intregral part of building our new Stadium $$-wise, as they should be.
                    If USD wants to play their half in SF, since I live here...that would be fine with me...because you won't see me in Vermillion. Sorry, just the way I feel.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

• Re: Big Sky

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      All things considered, USD's administration deserves a pat on the back for doing some due diligence and carefully considering what was best for USD.

By Monday, USD joining the Big Sky was a done deal. USD was planning a press conference for Thursday or Friday of this week. The paperwork hadn’t been signed but it was in Pres. Abbot’s office, ready to be signed.
                      IMHO, one factor that slowed down the process for USD was the Summit buyout. I've got to believe that there was some push back on that point. Without the buyout, I wonder, would USD have made a fast decsion as SUU & UND did?

No matter. I aggree USD's administration deserves a pat on the back for doing some due diligence and carefully considering what was best for USD.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        Also, If I was a business owner/city comissioner/SDSU Student in Brookings I would not be happy that this game was being played in SF. Let us not forget...the city of Brookings is going to be an intregral part of building our new Stadium $$-wise, as they should be.
                        If USD wants to play their half in SF, since I live here...that would be fine with me...because you won't see me in Vermillion. Sorry, just the way I feel.

Go Jacks!!
                        If Brookings business owners are serious about making money and maximizing their profits (I assume this is why they would be unhappy?), they need the Sioux Falls consumer in town as often as possible.

Brookings will have an integral part of building the new stadium, this is very true. However, Sioux Falls fans will be an integral part of filling that stadium. Or is SDSU going to fill the 22,000 seat stadium with Brookings County residents?

IMO, the Sioux Falls game would only last 5-10 years anyway. After that, the combined season ticket sales and student allotments for both schools would exceed capacity at Howard Wood.

People talk about what a failure the Sioux Falls game with Cal Davis was, but that game had 7200 people in attendance. There were games in Brookings that year with attendances of 5700, 4100, 4000, and 1900.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          First game could just as easily be in Vermillion as Brookings and that will be one tough ticket.
                          Could the first game really be in Vermillion? That would not sit well with SDSU fans and donors, especially if SDSU had some "pull" in bringing USD to the Valley.

I don't want to sound too arrogant, but we made the D1 jump first, and USD followed. The first home game should be played at CAS.

Comment

Sioux Falls hasn't a facility as large as Coughlin. Any premium in ticket price could be the same at either HW or Coughlin. And, why would the SDSU Administration give up a cut on the gate to SF?

This idea only makes sense in that it would be more convenient for fans in SF to attend. Personally, I don't mind the short drive to Bookings for a game.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Sioux Falls game???? Only if the City or some other organization steps up and financially guarantees each university enough money to off set potential lost revenue from hosting the game. Still wouldn't be in favor though as at least for right now you would be leaving out students and business owners in each town who would count on the game being hosted by one school.

We're a long way from some of the FBS schools who play at a neutral site for a variety of reasons.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                Could the first game really be in Vermillion? That would not sit well with SDSU fans and donors, especially if SDSU had some "pull" in bringing USD to the Valley.

I don't want to sound too arrogant, but we made the D1 jump first, and USD followed. The first home game should be played at CAS.
                                I don't know what the policies in the MVFC state currently with respect to scheduling. Given that they will be a conference foe, it isn't fair or practical to assume that USD would be expected to sacrifice the possibility of home field advantage is such a potentially crucial game just because they didn't have the foresight to go DI when SDSU did.

So, I imagine it will come down to a coin flip or some other random method of determining where the game is played or if its played at all the first year (2012). I have no idea if they will keep and 8 game balanced home and away conference schedule or if they'll go true round robin with 9 games necessitating an unbalanced home and away schedule.

Fact of the matter is, now that it's a conference game I suspect it's entirely out of SDSU or USD's control. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X