Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Sky

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    ...the guy that counts our attendance also counts yours. Kinda sucks doesn't it?
    I'm having a difficult time understanding that comment. Both institutions employ the same guy? I think SDSU's number come from the turnstiles at the entrances. Is USD trying to use our turnstiles?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I'm having a difficult time understanding that comment. Both institutions employ the same guy? I think SDSU's number come from the turnstiles at the entrances. Is USD trying to use our turnstiles?
      yeah I don't get that comment either, unless they both use a company for ticket sales or something like that.

first of all I don't buy the fact that the Dakota Dome holds 10,000 I just don't believe it.

Second of all I was at the Dakota Dome for the Yankton/O'Gorman AA championship in 05 which was sold out, the place was packed and yet when I turn on the tv to the average USD football game it looks 3/4ths of that at the most and they claim for it to be sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        yeah I don't get that comment either, unless they both use a company for ticket sales or something like that.

first of all I don't buy the fact that the Dakota Dome holds 10,000 I just don't believe it.

Second of all I was at the Dakota Dome for the Yankton/O'Gorman AA championship in 05 which was sold out, the place was packed and yet when I turn on the tv to the average USD football game it looks 3/4ths of that at the most and they claim for it to be sold out.
        The USD East Grandstand holds 5317 - the wooden bleachers on the West side of the Dome (this is a guess because you can pack people in pretty tight is about 3500 - if all bleachers are pulled out - sometimes only 3/4 are). Add in the Coyote Landing area and you are right at about 9000 packed.

The future renovation of the Dome is slated to bring the Dome to 12000 with the East and West seating. Add in endzone seating on either the North or South and it will bring seating to about 14000-15000 range + standing room only area above the endzone seating where the Dome will connect to a new BB arena.

The attendance numbers this year reported under Sayler have been much more accurate (not as inflated) as under Neilsen. The attendance numbers reported under Neilsen was ridiculous.

Comment

14,000-15,000? That would take more than a renovation. The roof would have to pulled off, upper walls would need to be pushed out and up and then a larger roof added to get seating and facilities for that many people.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
            The USD East Grandstand holds 5317 - the wooden bleachers on the West side of the Dome (this is a guess because you can pack people in pretty tight is about 3500 - if all bleachers are pulled out - sometimes only 3/4 are). Add in the Coyote Landing area and you are right at about 9000 packed.

The future renovation of the Dome is slated to bring the Dome to 12000 with the East and West seating. Add in endzone seating on either the North or South and it will bring seating to about 14000-15000 range + standing room only area above the endzone seating where the Dome will connect to a new BB arena.

The attendance numbers this year reported under Sayler have been much more accurate (not as inflated) as under Neilsen. The attendance numbers reported under Neilsen was ridiculous.
            I thought the proposed basketball arena wasn't going to be connected to the dome?

whatever, I believe you with your numbers. they seem pretty accurate.

The question I have with the renovation is can they pack in another 6,000 seat grandstand on the end with bleachers? I tried to picture this at the farm show a couple of years ago and I just couldn't do it. Maybe it is the same size both ways but it seemed like it just wasn't possible.

Also I don't see where they can get endzone seating without serious renovation. I haven't been to the dome since 05, but if I remember correctly its the endzone, bout 12 feet to walk across to the other side then a wall. Even if you could get bleachers that wouldn't add that much.

And isn't there a moat around the dome outside? I don't know if it would be the easiest to break open a wall and add 2-3 thousand seat section. (maybe I'm wrong)

However I don't know. I will say this though, they can't get to 14,000 without serious renovation and by serious I mean tear it down, and build something new.

Comment

Disclaimer: I am not an architect, structural engineer or designer. I have no inside on how the Dakotadome will be renovated.
              However, I do believe they can get to their projected numbers without having to tear down. The current grandstand as 5300 seats and Coyote Landing. The new grandstand could get to 7000+ seats. The current grandstand does not go to the top of the renovated roof. It went to the top of the old inflated roof. The old grandstand also has suites and a pressbox on top. They can add quite a few rows to the new grandstand side. The area behind the endzones is very tight. I do remember in the mid 80's they hauled in bleachers to get about 500 seats or so on the turf for excess seating (somewhat like what CAS has for overflow games). Big games for all schools this weekend. Let's take down Iowa, ND, Nebraska, Texas, Utah, Louisiana and Colorado. Besides, you all forgot we could always add a few bleachers to the pool area and broadcast the game into that area of the dome for an extra 200 or so seats of capacity.
              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                14,000-15,000? That would take more than a renovation. The roof would have to pulled off, upper walls would need to be pushed out and up and then a larger roof added to get seating and facilities for that many people.
                USD has had three different firms work on giving USD ideas. first, the roof will not come off. USD may be able to hand a center scoreboard from the ceiling with replay screens (still finding out if the new roof can support that weight.) USD has learned that one of the endzone walls (either North or South) can be completely removed. Interestingly USD may have problems building north like I think they preferred originally because there is a large Natural Gas pipeline buried north of the Dome. End zone seating is not a sure thing, but IMO would be a good idea if the Dome wall is removed anyway. The 12,000 seat East/West grandstand number is accurate. USD currently has 5317 on East side because when USD created the Coyote landing, several seats were lost.

USD would like to connect the BB arena to the Dome if possible. Nothing is for sure now, including if anything gets built at all. ( if nothing is done to upgrade facilities, I think we would all be disappointed. I hope USD and SDSU both have some of the best facilities in FCS.)

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Adding some end zone seating seems like a really good reason to attach the basketball arena to the end of the Dome.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Serious question: Can you legally sell SRO seats in a domed stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing - legally probably not - but with student attendance so variable, I think you can leave space in the stands for about 3000 student seats on bigger games (obviously this can be adjusted if more students start regularly attending games) and any excess students that show up can be SRO. That is complete speculation on my part.

Comment

I am not aware of any law the prohibits selling SRO in a domed stadium but I guess why would it be any different that selling SRO in a basketball arena or a domed stadium that hosts basektball games. It probably comes down to what the fire marshall considers is a safe level of occupants based on space, exits, etc. than actual 1 for 1 seat per paying customer. I understand it is in Texas, NFL, retractable roof and most importantly run by Jerry Jones but their "dome" sells SRO. Tropicana Field sells SRO for games, which means only when the Yanks or Red Sox are in town.
                        Southern Pecan

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          NDSU has in the past, I think around 500 standing room tickets can be made available but we have places where fans can stand and watch. You can do it as long as the fire marshal approves it.

Comment

I think you have to have an area for standing room only, I don't know if you can have them in the isles or in the end zone, but I'm just speculating.

The Cowboys have an area for their standing room only, its the platform decks in the one end zone.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I think you have to have an area for standing room only, I don't know if you can have them in the isles or in the end zone, but I'm just speculating.

The Cowboys have an area for their standing room only, its the platform decks in the one end zone.
                              Let's hope they don't allow any SRO in the Isles. The people would need a boat to get to the restrooms or concessions. I also hope they don't put them IN the endzone. That would be a recipe for disaster.
                              Southern Pecan

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                                Let's hope they don't allow any SRO in the Isles. The people would need a boat to get to the restrooms or concessions. I also hope they don't put them IN the endzone. That would be a recipe for disaster.
                                yeah, I don't know if in the en dzone would work now that I think about it, maybe behind the end-zone, though I'm pretty sure we played a little touch football in grade school at the hs games in the endzone when the team was going the other way.

Comment

Working...
                                X