Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
    The coaches need to adjust in order to get their students to the next level. This kind of crap isn't transferable as far as skills.
    I think that the college coaches in this state need to start putting some pressure on the SDHSAA to make some updates to the high schools rules in this state.........

Comment

Not to start something here, but is not defense and the discipline that it takes to slow down the tempo of the game valuable skills that are transferable to the next level? High scoring games doesn't always mean great basketball. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the underlying theme hear is personal prefrence. Does one like seeing high scoring games or efficient, defensive low scoring games. In other sports low scoring games are touted as defensive battles or pitching duals. In basketball and not just AA SD basketball, but I've heard it at the NBA level as well at times, low scoring games are seen as subpar.

Comment

Disclipine and Defense is great, but taking the air out of the ball with 3 minutes left in each quarter is not the way the game was meant to be played. I think if add a shot clock at 2 halves of basketball you can improve the flow of the game greatly.

Comment

There is hope:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70328028

Another suggestion from an advisory committee is to go to 18-minute halves and implement a 35-second shot clock in varsity basketball games.

Comment

Rumor is the 18 minute halves will be highly endorsed and passed by the AD's.......the shot clock is gaining momemtem amoung AA AD's as well and could pass as well. Still no guarantee the SDHSAA Board will adopt either proposal. I think you'll see the halves pass this season and maybe a few years down the road the shot clock in AA's.

Daktronics should hire some lobbyists and put together some pricing packages to see the shot clock through. The biggest hand up is cost of the clocks and the extra staff for each game to push the reset button. I'm sure there are man AA fans who would gladly volunteer their time for the games to run the clock. Still my biggest question, will the shot clock increase scoring or just speed up poor shots? At some point you have to have skilled basketball players on the floor to enhance the quality of play.

Comment

But Cadsev, how can you tell if there are skilled players on the floor if all they do is pass around the perimiter and look for back cuts? AA coaches will have to make adjustments. It will be no problem for the kids. As you know as well as anyone, there is a reason that more players are recruited based on their play during the summer months!

Comment

True you have some merits there however more kids are recruited in the summer basically because the college coaches rely heavily on the summer months to see kids play.  College coaches don't evaluate too much in the winter and when they come to SD (those coming from outside the state) to see a kid play they have a pretty good idea of the kids ability and limitations.  If they didn't they wouldn't make the trip.  "Cold recruiting" (ala cold calling) doesn't occur too often in today's day and age of recruiting.  

I just don't see the shot clock having the impact that many people think it will have.  It won't necessarily increase scoring.  Take Wisconsin for instance.  They work the shot clock better than most teams and don't score more than 60 points most games.  Will a HS coach change their style due to a clock?  I can't see Gary Munson changing his game plan but rather he'll modify it to fit the clock.  They will just condense what they do to 35 second intervals instead of 2 minute intervals.  Sure you could see more shots but that doesn't necessarily equate to more points.  

I'm in favor of the shot clock because it better prepares kids for the college level.  I'm in favor of the halves because the game has better flow.  The halves will increase scoring more than a shot clock will because there are four more minutes played each game.  But kids will need to be in better conditioning then they currently are because there are less breaks.  Watch a SD team play in MN for an example.  Fatigue is definately a factor later in the game.  

Anyways, hopefully they both pass at the AA level.  Change would be nice for these two issues.  It will be interesting to see what the AA coaches do if they do pass both initiatives.  Would they change their style of coaching or modify it to fit the new rules? None of this is ment to be critical at all about current coaching styles. I'll be honest and state that I prefer a transition offense with uptempo style of play compared to half court offense and grinding it out. It is my preference and each is entitled to it's own. Coaches will coach to their level of comfort and what works for their program. Far too often we are quick to judge and critique when many have never done the job. It's easy to be negaitive and harder to produce results. Especially when dealing with HS kids.

Comment

Good to see Cadsev's comments.

I understand North Dakota has a shot clock for its largest class (only?) and I've been told the coaches, players and fans wouldn't go back. Anyone hear anything contrary to that?

Comment

You are correct. They also had the three point line in HS up there before we had it here so trend setting is the norm for them. Not sure how long they have had the clock though.

Comment

Something needs to be done, its bad enough when one team doesn't break 30 the sad thing is its still a close game... There was way too many 31-28 games and scores in that area... There's B kids that averaged more then 30 points per game, you see very few AA guys have 1000 career points where in class B there has been teams with more then one player

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                        Something needs to be done, its bad enough when one team doesn't break 30 the sad thing is its still a close game... There was way too many 31-28 games and scores in that area... There's B kids that averaged more then 30 points per game, you see very few AA guys have 1000 career points where in class B there has been teams with more then one player
                        That may be because the defense played in Class A and B is virtually non-existant in many cases. I go to a number of games in all 3 classes and I very rarily see a contested 3-pointer in Class A or B, while in AA most every shot gets contested. Just my opinion, but Louie Krogman probably would not have gotten 1000 point playing AA either.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree to a point, yes there is better defense played in AA but that has little to do with the low scoring, alot of it has to do with pace of game... I would say that Louie K would score 1000 points in most AA schools he wouldn't of scored 3,000 but still would be an impact player in AA's... Class B is alot faster and I think in past years, (B's was weak this year) the Top 4 B teams would compete with the top 4 in A's and AA's, B's and A's are alot more open and the majority of teams put up 60 points a game but defense still has little to do with it considering that Louie K scores alot of his points off of turn overs and so do alot of class B players.. I really think that the ESD has changed alot in the past couple of years I remember 2-3 years ago there was Pesicka and Krome who never turned down an open look along with others. I watched Pierre and Yankton play last year and it was up tempol..

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            Yankton defeated Watertown in "thriling" fashion 32-29 last night.  I don't know if its just the ESD but these games are tough to watch.  I'm not sure these kids are learning a style of basketball that is consistent with the game played at the next level.  Not that that is what its about, but I think there is something to be said when a high scoring game in SD boy's basketball means one team exceeds 50 points.

I don't think you can really place blame but I was present when a couple of AD's were discussing this issue and I think they would like to find a solution.  I enjoy watching a well disciplined team play basketball but I'd like to see at least 1 point a minute.  A shot clock probably isn't practical so a change in the coaching philosophy is probably the only solution.

I'd be interested to hearing more opinions from those closer to high school basketball in the state.  It might be as simple as the lack of talent on the court prevents teams from scoring more.  I definitely think that plays a part.  Maybe I'm wrong.
                            It seems the SDHSAA thinks the shot clock is worth a try. Today, they decided to implement a shot clock in AA basketball next year. Here's a blurb from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70417034

Comment

I hope the 2 halves scenario is next.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                                I hope the 2 halves scenario is next.
                                Talked with our AD last night regarding the shot clock and the 18 minute halves. He felt the shot clock would pass, but wasn't sure how they would handle the A and B classes. So I was not surprised to hear that the shot clock passed. He did bring up several issues regarding the clock that will have to be addressed such as type, location and the additional official, but felt those would be handled with a little trial and error. There is not much support for the 18 minute halves however. That surprised me a little, but they are concerned about length of the games and the fact they can't start the 9th grade games before 4:00 PM and that the other games will be pushed back with the varsity starting at 8:00 or later. I don't know if the games will be that much longer since you wouldn't have the quarter breaks. Also of some concern for some of the smaller schools was the 18 minute half favors the schools with more players to choose from since you will have to play more athletes due to fatigue. One other point was the playing time of 6 quarters for the JV's. They would probably have to log the minutes instead of quarters which would take more staff. These are points that I was informed of and not my own feelings. I really don't care as much about the 18 minute halves as the shot clock since I did sit through three games last year (30-25; 28-25; 32-19). That was painful. I kind of like the idea of the 18 minute half, but will wait and see how that plays out. BTW, how did Minnesota like the 18 minute halves?

Comment

Working...
                                X