Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
    so sd would go to 18 minute halves like minnesota?  so it is 8 minute quarters times 4 is 32 minutes and it would be 36 minutes for a game.  4 more minutes.  how many more points will be scored in 4 minutes.  and a shot clock will prevent teams from slowing the game down or it could also force teams to take bad shots before the shot clock expires, thus, not scoring anymore points than before.   i say leave it alone.  ive watched AA basketball for 20 yrs and havent quit going because of the low scores.  what did some of the A and B teams score last night?   Iroquois 40 Langford 38  Redfield 43  Hitchcock/Tulare 36   Sunshine Bible 40 Plankinton 36  Irene/Wakonda 48 Bon Homme 29.   Oh and some AA scores last night.  Roosevelt 64 RC STevens 58  Washington 72  Spearfish 69.   OK OK   Ogorman 38 RC Central 32.  

it doesnt happen every night and it doesnt just happen in AA basketball.  If it isnt broke, dont fix it.  I vote, leave it alone.  
    Excellent points, I also don't think its necessarily broken, just might be improved a bit. We will see, rumblings are out there.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

i would like us as a state to be ahead of the curve rather than behind the curve, the quarters will change to halves and the shot clock will be introduced. it will happen in the future, we should get ahead while we can. however, I think if the state would ever decide to make the switch, it should be for all classes not just AA.

Comment

The High School game in South Dakota has truly become a total bore to watch especially at the AA Level. I think a move towards 18 minute halves and a shot clock would help dramatically. To watch a team go in shut down mode starting at 3 minutes left at the end of the quarter four times a game makes almost half of the game unwatchable. I think part of the problem is coaches trying to control the game to much and disrupting the natural flow. I know the majority of high school players will not go on to the next level, but for those who do they are not getting much preparation with this style of play. South Dakota needs to get with the times or the only people paying attention will be the players parents. I'm curious how many states employ the shot clock and 2 halves?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          The High School game in South Dakota has truly become a total bore to watch especially at the AA Level. I think a move towards 18 minute halves and a shot clock would help dramatically. To watch a team go in shut down mode starting at 3 minutes left at the end of the quarter four times a game makes almost half of the game unwatchable. I think part of the problem is coaches trying to control the game to much and disrupting the natural flow. I know the majority of high school players will not go on to the next level, but for those who do they are not getting much preparation with this style of play. South Dakota needs to get with the times or the only people paying attention will be the players parents. I'm curious how many states employ the shot clock and 2 halves?
          Another question if someone is researching this:  Do all of the states which use a shot clock in high school have the same rules for time and resetting the clock?  

I have been wanting a shot clock in high school ball for some time but hope it won't be such a short number of seconds that it causes games to become run and shoot the three point shot festivals.  

I still want to see teams running a disciplined offense and trying to work the ball into the paint for the high percentage shot.  Losing that aspect of the game would be far more devastating than the slow disciplined game that posters are complaining about in this thread.

Comment

http://www.portsmouthherald.com/news...brown1215.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._smitty08.html

http://billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/sports/?p=359

i typed "shot clock in high school basketball" and it looks like we arent the only state talking about it or have talked about it.

Comment

ND has a 35 second shot clock for Class A and just went to 18 minutes halves as well, I really like the changes especially the shot clock. The game just seems to flow better when there is a shot clock involved.

Comment

I would like to see a shot clock and halves introduced. The shot clock would need to be long enough to allow an offense to be run rather than just run, clear out, drive and dish.

The 18 minute halves would have the biggest effect. It would add some more time, cut out the "hold the ball for the last shot" routine for the first and third quarters, and most importantly it forces the coach to go deeper into his bench. You lose two timeouts because of quarter breaks so coaches must be more aware of substituting, especially if one team starts to run.

A few little changes may go a long way in forcing some coaching philisophies to change as well. I'm tired of watching an offense go into a stall mode just to try and pull a defense out of a zone. For most AA teams, the big men negate each other and the outside shooting is inconsistant at best. A defense sits in a zone and the offense is disciplined and runs until a WIDE open shot is available...usually 2 minutes after the possesion started. This makes for great endings, but very boring until then.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Hey, JackMD, I know this is an older thread, but am sure you noticed the Yankton-Brookings score Friday night. 28-25 won on a 3-pointer at the buzzer. If I ever have to sit through one of those again, I am just going to suck the gas pipe! Shot clock, please...

Comment

So who is standing in the way of making changes to the high school game in SD? I haven't talked to anybody who finds the game OK as is. What are the arguments against longer halves and a shot clock?
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Most of the people in the stands are for the 18 minute halves. I don't know what the SDHSAA thinks about it, but you know, change comes hard. It would force teams to go deeper into the bench. Doesn't the SDHSAA promote more students being involved. I don't have kids playing BB, but would like to see more kids playing if possible. As for the shot clock, my previous post regarding the Yankton-Brookings game answers that question...I didn't think it could get any worse than the Yankton-Roosevelt game (30-25) but it did!

Comment

I believe one of the snags the SDHSAA had was the six quarter rule. Personally, I think there would be more scoring if the officiating was better. Call all the infractions and the players would learn to clean it up. If you allow the players to push, pull, shove, and hold anybody can play great defense and shut anyone else down. I say if it happens, call it. I am in favor of 18 minute halves and a 45 second shot clock also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
                          Hey, JackMD, I know this is an older thread, but am sure you noticed the Yankton-Brookings score Friday night. 28-25 won on a 3-pointer at the buzzer. If I ever have to sit through one of those again, I am just going to suck the gas pipe! Shot clock, please...
                          I was fortunate not to be at that game. My kids went with friends while I took the wife out to a nice evening in Nebraska (yes you can have fun in Nebraska). I think changes are inevitable.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                            I believe one of the snags the SDHSAA had was the six quarter rule. Personally, I think there would be more scoring if the officiating was better. Call all the infractions and the players would learn to clean it up. If you allow the players to push, pull, shove, and hold anybody can play great defense and shut anyone else down. I say if it happens, call it. I am in favor of 18 minute halves and a 45 second shot clock also.
                            For those not familiar with the six quarter rule, it basically states that a given player may play in part or all of six quarters on a given night.  If the player checks into the game it counts as a quarter played.  For smaller schools with a JV and a Varsity game any player may dress for both games but can only appear in six quarters.  For the larger schools with three games on a given night a player can actually dress for all three games (if he/she is eligible by age/grade) for them, but can still only play in six quarters.

I think that if a shot clock were added that it alone would make the game more interesting.  It would, by itself, limit that holding of the ball at the end of the first and third quarters to the time limit of the shot clock.  That might be enough.  Then we could retain the six quarter rule as it is.  Also, please keep in mind that the high school game doesn't have any media timeouts so the coaches may want to keep the quarter breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                              So who is standing in the way of making changes to the high school game in SD? I haven't talked to anybody who finds the game OK as is. What are the arguments against longer halves and a shot clock?
                              Give an AD a call and see what they think. They may have some very good reasons against it. I think changes will happen, but it's going to take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                                [quote author=JimmyJack link=1168092072/15#23 date=1171236909]So who is standing in the way of making changes to the high school game in SD? I haven't talked to anybody who finds the game OK as is. What are the arguments against longer halves and a shot clock?
                                Give an AD a call and see what they think.  They may have some very good reasons against it.  I think changes will happen, but it's going to take some time.
                                [/quote]

I will ask the question to my dad, see what he thinks of it and the other AA AD's.

Comment

Working...
                                X