AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

I don't know much about high school basketball, but I know if you've got 28-25 games going on, something major has to change.

The high school kids are not being well served by being forced to play (or watch) that kind of basketball.

Time for SD High School basketball to enter the 1990's, I'd say.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If it's broke, fix it. I think that applies to the SDHSAA.

Comment

I remember the ESD playing those kind of games in the fifties and sixties when I was a kid. Always ten points per game less than smaller schools. That has to really hurt the transition to the college game.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
          [quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1168092072/15#28 date=1171255168][quote author=JimmyJack link=1168092072/15#23 date=1171236909]So who is standing in the way of making changes to the high school game in SD? I haven't talked to anybody who finds the game OK as is. What are the arguments against longer halves and a shot clock?
          Give an AD a call and see what they think.  They may have some very good reasons against it.  I think changes will happen, but it's going to take some time.
          [/quote]

I will ask the question to my dad, see what he thinks of it and the other AA AD's.
          [/quote]

I talked with my dad about the shot clock and 18 minute halves. He said they are revisiting the ideas again this year. They are also looking to hear what Minnesota has to say about the 18 minute halves since they are in the 2nd year of experimenting with it. He also said one of the concerns with the shot clock comes down to money (especially since a lot of funding gets taken away from athletics from unnecessary things in the budget crunch). The schools would have to buy, install and hire some one for each game to run them. He says this might not be a problem in AA, but the smaller schools would have a hard time coming up with the money.

Comment

A set of simple one-sided, two digit shot clocks would probably cost a little less then $2000 to purchase.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

A little info on that Brookings game...they gave up only 3 points in the 4th quarter....and it was a throw up 3 towards the end to go up 28-25

Comment

You are correct. If I remember correctly, YHS had a 7 pt lead at the quarter break and BHS outscored them 7-0 till the last second shot. That is still only a total of 10 points scored in the quarter. It might just be me, but I would rather see a little more scoring in a game no matter who wins the contest.

Comment

I guess I'm just not understanding this. i went back and looked at old posts and many people said that AA basketball scoring is down because the defense is so much better because the players are better athletes across the team (bigger, stronger, quicker). How come that only shows up on the one end of the court? Wouldn't these same athletes be bigger stronger quicker on offense also? If the other teams is able to come over and help out because of their athleticsm, wouldn't the offensive player be able to adjust quicker and dish off? Or shouldn't the moves be explosive enough to get to the hoop on their own? Remember, the day after the Yankton-Brookings game, SF Lincoln put 98 on the board. If you want to open up the game, start calling more fouls for hanging on the inside guys will do it. If the only way can help out on the inside D is dropping back in, then the outside shots are opened up.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I know a lot of coaches in the AA level like to run a slow down slow tepo game. It makes it easier to run plays and few tournovers, It may not be the most exciting to watch but from a coaching standpoint it helps the team run more effeciently. Im not a big fan off it but some feel a shot clock would force the offense to go to quickly for a shot causing poor offensive play and making more tournovers.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

and lower shooting percentages

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                        and lower shooting percentages
                        Exactly
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Watching the BV vs OG game online right now. They do swing it around for awhile every drive but the refs seem to be calling plenty of fouls on drives.

After watching exclusively college ball for 12 years I surprised to see this game be so sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                            I know a lot of coaches in the AA level like to run a slow down slow tepo game.  It makes it easier to run plays and few tournovers,  It may not be the most exciting to watch but from a coaching standpoint it helps the team run more effeciently.  Im not a big fan off it but some feel a shot clock would force the offense to go to quickly for a shot causing poor offensive play and making more tournovers.  
                            Maybe that would happen...but maybe not.....eventually the kids would learn that taking the first or second open shot when coming down the floor is something they have to do. The offense would change and the kids would have to learn to score more by creating their own shot instead of swinging the ball around until someone is open.

Comment

From the AA girls basketball tournament in Watertown: Pierre 29, Aberdeen Central 23.

This is beyond pathetic......

Comment

The coaches need to adjust in order to get their students to the next level. This kind of crap isn't transferable as far as skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X