South Dakota High School Football Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: South Dakota High School Football Championships

I have this opinion about the addition of another class to 11 man, and that is there is not enough schools to make it worth while. We are speaking of 8 in 11AAA and 8 in 11AA. Thats not enough to judge competitiveness. I know one of the former CAS All star team players Gary Maffett recently resigned as head coach of Brookings High school. Gary is a great coach, but I think he might have gotten tired of losing to SF schools. I think he planned to retire anyway. He has been at it for 31 years. Also the talent level at BHS is rather streaky and one year you have an excellent season followed by a decade of mediocare seasons. Mitchell and Yankton, who are equal in size seem to have more tradition in winning. Also Watertown who is traditionally tough had a real bummer of a season this year. My point is there are ups and downs and creating two classes amongt the big schools might not solve much of anything. The state needs more population growth before we add another class. Three 9 man classes makes no sense whatsoever.
    I know some of these schools only have 19 or 20 players participating, but when you play a game that requires 11 players, a watered down version does justice to no one.

About the new arena. I know Nebraska has for years had 6 classes for bb and they all play their state tourney in Lincoln and they start at the exact time. They use Devaney, the downtown Auditorium and two of the local high schools. The girls play one week and the following week the boys play. This works for small schools such as Wallace, who is in the south east part of the state, and to start out in Lincoln Southeast High gym is not the same culture shock that they would have if they played in Devaney. The smaller classes do not see Devaney until the last day of the tourney. They also do not mess with a consolation bracket. If you lose in the first round, you go home

Its worked for Nebraska for years and for Sioux Falls to host all three at the same time, might work. In terms of economic activity loss to other communities such as Aberdeen, this is a draw back, but they will survive. In the old days Huron depended on the Class B tourney every year. With the packing plants closing, Huron is a much different community than it was in the 1950's and 1960's. Huron slowly is regaining strength, and its not been easy. Aberdeen and Rapid are both strong enough that if they lost this tourney, they could survive. Why should we deny our students the opportunity to play their games in the biggest and best venue, which most likely will be the new arena in SF?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The Argus doesn't get tax dollars from taxpayers to pay for their reporters and other expenses like school districts do to pay for teachers/coaches and other expenses for fielding sports teams such as travel etc...
      Would there be a problem if SDSU denied the Argus the ability to live stream basketball games for free, despite the fact that SDSU receives tax dollars?

SFSD still charges admission to games, despite receiving tax dollars. Is there a problem with that?

The games are the property of the Sioux Falls School District, not the Argus Leader or any other media. The district can do whatever they want with them, that's the bottom line.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

And it's also the stations right not to air the games... as well as school announcements, lunch menus, interviews with the superintendent, cancellations and postponements. This decision is putting the media and the school in an adversarial position and it smacks of a backfire for the school.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
          And it's also the stations right not to air the games... as well as school announcements, lunch menus, interviews with the superintendent, cancellations and postponements. This decision is putting the media and the school in an adversarial position and it smacks of a backfire for the school.
          And if the station does that nobody will listen to that station, and they'll go bottom up because they won't have a consumer or anybody to listen to their advertisers.

I was waiting for somebody to make the Argus comparison, I'm glad SF Rabbit Fan did it. It may not be a perfect comparison, but it's funny that the Argus and other media are throwing a fit (if they indeed are, I haven't paid much attention) about being charged for something (rights to stream) that they want to turn around and charge people for (access to their site to watched streamed content). This is assuming that the streamed content is part of the Argus pay site...I'm a subscriber, so I'm not sure.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            The Argus doesn't get tax dollars from taxpayers to pay for their reporters and other expenses like school districts do to pay for teachers/coaches and other expenses for fielding sports teams such as travel etc...
            They don't get taxpayer money, but they also aren't REQUIRED to provide streamed games like schools are required to educate and provide activities for their students. And they do get money (from subscribers, advertisers, etc.) to fund their needs...it's not taxpayer money so it's not exactly the same but it is funding none the less. To me it seems like they need to decide if streaming the games is important enough to outweigh the proposed cost to do so, and if their income allows. That's a business decision...

At least the school districts are giving the media options to do this...I wouldn't be surprised to see in the future the districts say we aren't streaming at all or that we'll steam and put out that video from our own sites.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I don't disagree with anything you wrote.

Maybe it will backfire on the district. But I would guess that in this instance the Argus choice to charge for online content prompted the discussion (backfired on them).

Out of curiosity, what is your position on why the AL would think its ok for them to charge for the content, but not ok for the content owner to be compensated? I'm talking specifically about the live streaming of games. To my layman self, that doesn't seem like news, but rather a broadcast. Again, to my layman self, it seems like streaming should be fair game for the district to charge (financially benefit from).

For what its worth, I think the restrictions on highlights on the news are silly.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have no view one way or the other on the Argus. I've never worked in that medium. My focus has been in radio.

I can see where the school would have a concern with streaming games and drop in ticket sales... but at the same time, I have yet to hear about a school losing ticket revenue because a radio station is airing the game and they want to sit at home and listen to the game.

It seems to me the school district is taking radio stations for granted. We do a LOT for these schools, from airing announcements for band dinners to lunch menus and so forth. Now we don't charge for these things because we consider them a public service. If we really wanted to be nasty about it, we could very easily charge these schools to air announcements.

We air sports in that same vein... it's a community activity, it's free publicity for the school, it's a public service. Other organizations pay for airtime for their games. Heck, even Learfield Sports pays stations to carry USD and SDSU games. But we have never charged high schools to carry their games because we consider them to be community partners.

Now, do we have advertisements and collect money for advertisements? Yes. When we air games, they aren't cheap. You have to pay for one or two announcers to go to the game, plus any mileage (if they use their car) or for wear and tear on company vehicles. You also have phone charges, be it a phone line or a cellular phone. You usually have to have someone back at the station to make sure the broadcast gets over the air and sounds good. Plus other costs like overhead, wear and tear on equipment, and so forth. And at the same time, you're also pre-empting normal programming and normal sponsors and you have to make up that revenue. We're not Public Broadcasting; we do have to make our own money to keep the lights on.

To me, this all-inclusive policy has all the effectiveness of swatting flies with a sledgehammer. It tells me that the Sioux Falls School District is simply taking the broadcast media for granted. Now they COULD charge stations like KWSN and KSOO to come and broadcast their games. But at the same time, Backyard Broadcasting and Cumulus Media could also start charging the Sioux Falls School District for airing announcements, having the weekly feature with the superintendent, lunch menus, special events, and the like. And believe me, what stations charge for "live reads" is a heck of a lot more expensive over the long run than what the school district would charge for broadcast fees.

Or they could stop broadcasting Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt all together. They could reach out to O'Gorman and the outlying schools like Harrisburg, Canton, West Central, Baltic, Lennox, Canistota, Parker, Garretson or one of the multitudes of schools around the Sioux Falls area and essentially keep the Knights, Patriots and Warriors in the cold.

But to be honest, I don't want to see that happen. I want to be able to tune in to KOOL 107.9 and listen to Craig Mattick do an O'Gorman-Washington basketball game, or catch Brad Peterson do a Lincoln-Roosevelt football game on KSOO. It's a win-win partnership... for the school, for the station, and for the community.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I have no view one way or the other on the Argus. I've never worked in that medium. My focus has been in radio.

I can see where the school would have a concern with streaming games and drop in ticket sales... but at the same time, I have yet to hear about a school losing ticket revenue because a radio station is airing the game and they want to sit at home and listen to the game.

It seems to me the school district is taking radio stations for granted. We do a LOT for these schools, from airing announcements for band dinners to lunch menus and so forth. Now we don't charge for these things because we consider them a public service. If we really wanted to be nasty about it, we could very easily charge these schools to air announcements.

We air sports in that same vein... it's a community activity, it's free publicity for the school, it's a public service. Other organizations pay for airtime for their games. Heck, even Learfield Sports pays stations to carry USD and SDSU games. But we have never charged high schools to carry their games because we consider them to be community partners.

Now, do we have advertisements and collect money for advertisements? Yes. When we air games, they aren't cheap. You have to pay for one or two announcers to go to the game, plus any mileage (if they use their car) or for wear and tear on company vehicles. You also have phone charges, be it a phone line or a cellular phone. You usually have to have someone back at the station to make sure the broadcast gets over the air and sounds good. Plus other costs like overhead, wear and tear on equipment, and so forth. And at the same time, you're also pre-empting normal programming and normal sponsors and you have to make up that revenue. We're not Public Broadcasting; we do have to make our own money to keep the lights on.

To me, this all-inclusive policy has all the effectiveness of swatting flies with a sledgehammer. It tells me that the Sioux Falls School District is simply taking the broadcast media for granted. Now they COULD charge stations like KWSN and KSOO to come and broadcast their games. But at the same time, Backyard Broadcasting and Cumulus Media could also start charging the Sioux Falls School District for airing announcements, having the weekly feature with the superintendent, lunch menus, special events, and the like. And believe me, what stations charge for "live reads" is a heck of a lot more expensive over the long run than what the school district would charge for broadcast fees.

Or they could stop broadcasting Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt all together. They could reach out to O'Gorman and the outlying schools like Harrisburg, Canton, West Central, Baltic, Lennox, Canistota, Parker, Garretson or one of the multitudes of schools around the Sioux Falls area and essentially keep the Knights, Patriots and Warriors in the cold.

But to be honest, I don't want to see that happen. I want to be able to tune in to KOOL 107.9 and listen to Craig Mattick do an O'Gorman-Washington basketball game, or catch Brad Peterson do a Lincoln-Roosevelt football game on KSOO. It's a win-win partnership... for the school, for the station, and for the community.
                  Good post, I can definitely see where you are coming from.

IMO, the policy is much too broad as it has been discussed so far, I wouldn't be shocked if it is scaled back to just live streaming by the time its adopted. I think it is sort of unfair/blindsiding radio, print, and TV. Pure speculation, but the timing of this is too close to Argus Leader online charging to be a coincidence.

In some ways (and in my own ultra-biased opinion), an AL/SFSD pi$$ing match could mean more SDSU coverage, which interests me far more than high school sports anyway.

Comment

Looks like the Sioux Falls School Board is postponing their second reading for two weeks. Probably to see if the furor dies down over this proposal.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The Sioux Falls School District modified it's proposal.. Radio and TV are fine.... live streaming will be handled by the schools only.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The Sioux Falls School District modified it's proposal.. Radio and TV are fine.... live streaming will be handled by the schools only.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
                        As well as it should be, especially if the Argus was going to charge for that service.

Comment

Working...
                        X