Board Upgrade 2019!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Search index build complete. Don't know if it made any difference.
    Unfortunately I don't think it did, from what I experienced this morning anyway. The first time I opened the browser on my phone that I leave on this site, I went to "new posts" and it said there was nothing new. Yet when I went to "new topics", there was a post from around 7:30 this morning that I had clearly not seen yet. Also, in "new topics", it seems like it's only showing topics that contain posts I haven't seen yet.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If I've seen a new post before, I don't want it to disappear from the "new posts" page. I just want the old "what's new" page back where it seemed to hold the posts from the last day or two. Maybe I'm in the minority on wanting this? Sometimes I'll read a new post and want to comment on it but won't have time right then. I want to come back to it later. With the current way it's set up, I would have to go into forums and figure out which section it was posted under.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I understand that it's a largely thankless job. If I had any blog/website expertise I would provide help, but unfortunately I don't. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot at least.

Comment

I know it's not exactly what you want Cappin but you can do an advanced search on the date from yesterday to today and get everything that was posted. It's a lot clunkier than the old way but it might give you something like what you want.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know it's not exactly what you want Cappin but you can do an advanced search on the date from yesterday to today and get everything that was posted. It's a lot clunkier than the old way but it might give you something like what you want.
        I did stumble across that. Is there any way to have a permanent that would take me to a search with that criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I did stumble across that. Is there any way to have a permanent that would take me to a search with that criteria?
          I don't know of a way right now, unfortunately.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think it did, from what I experienced this morning anyway. The first time I opened the browser on my phone that I leave on this site, I went to "new posts" and it said there was nothing new. Yet when I went to "new topics", there was a post from around 7:30 this morning that I had clearly not seen yet. Also, in "new topics", it seems like it's only showing topics that contain posts I haven't seen yet.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If I've seen a new post before, I don't want it to disappear from the "new posts" page. I just want the old "what's new" page back where it seemed to hold the posts from the last day or two. Maybe I'm in the minority on wanting this? Sometimes I'll read a new post and want to comment on it but won't have time right then. I want to come back to it later. With the current way it's set up, I would have to go into forums and figure out which section it was posted under.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I understand that it's a largely thankless job. If I had any blog/website expertise I would provide help, but unfortunately I don't. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot at least.
            This defeats the purpose of "new topics" as once they show you and you've read it, it is no longer "new". This is one of those things that more people, like myself, would much prefer it work the way it is now. Although I understand your frustration on this being different than the old board software.

Comment

I understand running this board is largely like cutting the grass at a golf course in which it is impossible to do correctly to make people happy but is there a way for me to filter when I open a topic to show the most recent post rather than hitting the latest button?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

This defeats the purpose of "new topics" as once they show you and you've read it, it is no longer "new". This is one of those things that more people, like myself, would much prefer it work the way it is now. Although I understand your frustration on this being different than the old board software.
                I can definitely see merit in having it both ways. I just prefer the ease of navigation if the new posts don't disappear. "New Posts" wouldn't be a good name for what I'm looking for, it's more of an activity stream, showing the latest activity on the board, regardless of whether I've seen it or not. The "New Topics" section could potentially work for this, but again, topics disappear if I've already seen the posts. At that point I'm relegated to going through the forum page and sifting through the different sections to find the recent post I'm looking for.

Comment

I can definitely see merit in having it both ways. I just prefer the ease of navigation if the new posts don't disappear. "New Posts" wouldn't be a good name for what I'm looking for, it's more of an activity stream, showing the latest activity on the board, regardless of whether I've seen it or not. The "New Topics" section could potentially work for this, but again, topics disappear if I've already seen the posts. At that point I'm relegated to going through the forum page and sifting through the different sections to find the recent post I'm looking for.
                  I ***may*** have found something that ***might*** do something like you want. But I'll have to figure out how to do it!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I ***may*** have found something that ***might*** do something like you want. But I'll have to figure out how to do it!
                    Awesome. Thanks again for your hard work. It is much appreciated.

Comment

• I might have figured out why some threads are showing up as "new topics" but their thread title is not bold nor does the little down arrow show up. The down arrow you click to get to the first post you haven't read since the last time you viewed that thread.

It's possible that if the same person posts on that thread the board software isn't smart enough to find the newest posts. It knows that you have unread posts on that thread but because it's the same person posting at the end of the thread, then it behaves this way.

That is what happened on the "Tix Exchange" threads as MitchellRabbit has been posting about SL Tourney Tickets. But I'll keep an eye on if that is what is happening.

Comment

• It's really been bothering me, so is there a way to change the time on this site? Currently, everything shows a post time of 2 hours earlier than my current time (Central). Is it set to Pacific time somewhere or is it really messed up because of daylight savings?
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

• Does anyone else have the issue of when you try to post something it takes forever to post (a “working” message pops up on the screen)

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Does anyone else have the issue of when you try to post something it takes forever to post (a “working” message pops up on the screen)
                            Yes but am in a rural area that is served by copper conductor telephone plant: As of now we don’t have state of the art fiber optic. I thought that was the problem, but if you are SF and are having the same problem, then it appears the site is problematic. IDK

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Does anyone else have the issue of when you try to post something it takes forever to post (a “working” message pops up on the screen)
                              Every time I post with Tapatalk it has problems. The waiting symbol will spin and spin until I hit “cancel” but it ends up posting anyway. Today it double-posted one for me. Tapatalk has been clunky for me since the upgrade, sometimes barely working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Every time I post with Tapatalk it has problems. The waiting symbol will spin and spin until I hit “cancel” but it ends up posting anyway. Today it double-posted one for me. Tapatalk has been clunky for me since the upgrade, sometimes barely working.
                                Pretty much everything about the site has been clunky since the upgrade. I am, shall we say, less than totally pleased.

Having said that, there are updates of the board software and the tapatak add-on that I need to install. I've been slowed down by rotator cuff surgery a couple of weeks ago--still typing one-handed!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X