Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Suggesting that a busy sports or entertainment venue have its own reporter/writer on staff is not a bad idea. Some businesses do that. However, most mainstream media outlets probably wouldn't publish or broadcast the full stories, as submitted, for ego or ethical reasons. So, to be worthwhile as a marketing tool, the venue probably would have to publish the stories on its own website or newsletter, in addition to giving the stories to the general media for free use. There's nothing wrong with that.
    This is the trend. More and more organizations like Sanford have their own "media" staffs. Why waste your time catering to traditional media when you can tell your story without them and get it to people so easily today. That is part of my message to potential comm majors here at WSU (as it was when I was at SDSU). Mainstream media is committing suicide, slashing content creators to maximize profit (apparently failing to understand that content is what attracts readers and advertisers), but there are more professional storytellers out there today than ever before in human history. Tomorrow, there will be even more. People like TV are valuable and are in demand. I'm surprised he wasn't snatched up sooner.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      This is the trend. More and more organizations like Sanford have their own "media" staffs. Why waste your time catering to traditional media when you can tell your story without them and get it to people so easily today. That is part of my message to potential comm majors here at WSU (as it was when I was at SDSU). Mainstream media is committing suicide, slashing content creators to maximize profit (apparently failing to understand that content is what attracts readers and advertisers), but there are more professional storytellers out there today than ever before in human history. Tomorrow, there will be even more. People like TV are valuable and are in demand. I'm surprised he wasn't snatched up sooner.
      Spot on. It would be as if Daktronics reduced production of scoreboards to save overhead. Not viable as a long term solution. One would think that a smarter move would be consolidation in an area, combining say the Argus, American News, Daily Republic and Press and Dakotan. That could yield lower unit costs (more coverage area with less staff) and increase size of the ad market (hit half the state in a single ad buy).
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

And the post TV era begins. Normally there would have been some kind of post weekend story from Saturdays games. Will miss Tuesday tidbits too. From the comments with Terry over the weekend I don't get the impression Zimmer is too fired up about the new position and higher expectations from a larger and more engaged fan base. I was surprised he did not accompany TV to Saturdays games and sit in on post game interviews to get feel for how it's done. I have a feeling the Jacks coverage is going to plummet significantly from Argus.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
          Spot on. It would be as if Daktronics reduced production of scoreboards to save overhead. Not viable as a long term solution. One would think that a smarter move would be consolidation in an area, combining say the Argus, American News, Daily Republic and Press and Dakotan. That could yield lower unit costs (more coverage area with less staff) and increase size of the ad market (hit half the state in a single ad buy).
          That would be a horrible idea, IMO. The Argus bought Prairie Publications from Jim Wilber (Matt Wilber's dad) several years ago. Within the span of a few years, the Argus shut down the Baltic Beacon, the Garretson Weekly and the Harrisburg weekly paper. Only the Brandon Valley and Dell Rapids papers are still around and even then there seems to be more re-hashed Argus stories than original stuff.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
            That would be a horrible idea, IMO. The Argus bought Prairie Publications from Jim Wilber (Matt Wilber's dad) several years ago. Within the span of a few years, the Argus shut down the Baltic Beacon, the Garretson Weekly and the Harrisburg weekly paper. Only the Brandon Valley and Dell Rapids papers are still around and even then there seems to be more re-hashed Argus stories than original stuff.
            I think the problem with what happened to Jim's papers can be traced back to the same source which most are complaining about, the Argus Leader. A combo of the larger eastern SD papers would be an excellent idea, if done by an organization that understands their readership want content. The reality is that the Baltic Beacon and Dells Tribune could have been combined into one publication without losing the local feel many enjoy with their small town papers if the new ownership had wanted it to happen, they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              And the post TV era begins. Normally there would have been some kind of post weekend story from Saturdays games. Will miss Tuesday tidbits too. From the comments with Terry over the weekend I don't get the impression Zimmer is too fired up about the new position and higher expectations from a larger and more engaged fan base. I was surprised he did not accompany TV to Saturdays games and sit in on post game interviews to get feel for how it's done. I have a feeling the Jacks coverage is going to plummet significantly from Argus.
              I would hope Zimmer see's this as an opportunity and not an added burden,attitudes everything....we shall see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                I would hope Zimmer see's this as an opportunity and not an added burden,attitudes everything....we shall see how it goes
                I know Zim personally and I can say he's a good writer, a great guy, and not terry. That being said I think we all owe him a fair shot to show what he is going to bring (I'm not insinuating that we won't). We may have been spoiled with all of the extras before, or maybe we should expect that. I would hope the Argus is aware of the expectations of it's readers that pay solely for the excellent coverage provided in the past.

I Think Zim will have a great (see: better than most) eye for baseball perspectives. which reminds me; I have strengths and weaknesses as well...

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  The 1940's and 1950's were so different than that of today. There was a much larger farm-family population which supported main streets business in these small towns and with these families there was much more local news. I recall the Brookings Register being a bi-weekly paper and having a rural correspondent for nearly each township in Brookings County. Although I never read the Wilber papers, I would venture they operated much in the same manner. A correspondent for each of the communities/townships who reported who went where on Sunday and who had coffee with whom. I suspect Mr. Wilber saw the handwriting on the wall and certainly took the Gannett offer and ran. Its different now, less farm people but bigger farm operations and towns like Garretson, Valley Springs are now bedroom communities for the work force in SF. I think the focus of news has changed and local gossip is no longer the hot item it was in the forties and fifties. In order to make these papers worth their print, they have change to coverage of local interest and no doubt reprints of Argus. I don't read the Argus much anymore but they seemed to have toned down the local interest stories that they had before Gannett. Gannett knows how to stay afloat and this probably what they have to do for coverage in Dell Rapids, which is a big growing suburb in my opinion.

Comment

I see that Zimmer has his first live chat at 2:00 today and will be live in Brookings tomorrow morning.

Comment

• Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      I see that Zimmer has his first live chat at 2:00 today and will be live in Brookings tomorrow morning.
                      did anyone participate? I was in a work meeting so wasnt able too.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        did anyone participate? I was in a work meeting so wasnt able too.

Replay of the chat:
                        http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...chat/7464195/f

Comment

Just read the replay. Active, covered all three schools (USF, Augie, SDSU). Lot's of "I'll get into that more in the future". But overall, great tone, accessibility, touching bases with large variety of coaches. Great start for Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Just read the replay. Active, covered all three schools (USF, Augie, SDSU). Lot's of "I'll get into that more in the future". But overall, great tone, accessibility, touching bases with large variety of coaches. Great start for Matt.
                            MZ mentioned the old SIC ,that means he played for Lincoln,Washington or O'Gorman, unless he's a Sioux City product. Anyone know, just for my own curiosity.I could ask in his next live chat,but this is quicker if anyone knows him.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              MZ mentioned the old SIC ,that means he played for Lincoln,Washington or O'Gorman, unless he's a Sioux City product. Anyone know, just for my own curiosity.I could ask in his next live chat,but this is quicker if anyone knows him.
                              SF Washington, I think 2001 grad (early 2000's).

*1998 (as pointed out by Slosho) - Thanks
                              Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-04-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                SF Washington, I think 2001 grad (early 2000's)
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X