Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    That's the thing I like about Zimmer. He doesn't beat around the bush. He proves his point whether it is a positive thing or not. He was the best option to take over the SDSU beats imo.
    I like a lot of his stuff as well. One concern, I think he likes to bring attention to himself a little more than one wants in a beat writer. I find him quite humorous most of the time but I'm not sure the bulk of the jackrabbit fan base will. He is certainly a lot different than TV. I think its the right move for now recognizing that if it doesn't work out there are other options.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is probably the best outcome that Jacks' fans could hope for. I think Matt Zimmer will do an excellent job, regardless of whether he's short term or long term on the SDSU beat. The fact that the Argus sports department lost three full-time employees even before Terry's departure is a matter of concern. The Argus Leader has done a good job covering D-1 sports in South Dakota, much better than the TV stations. I hope the Argus Leader can keep it up.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Marcus is a pro. He would be tough, but fair and would be an outstanding choice.
        I actually hope he gets the job.

But, in the meantime, I look forward to Zim. He'll be fun...always enjoyed him...and maybe Marcus can come in at some point and take over.

I know he would be very dedicated.

Comment

Has he applied?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            This is probably the best outcome that Jacks' fans could hope for. I think Matt Zimmer will do an excellent job, regardless of whether he's short term or long term on the SDSU beat. The fact that the Argus sports department lost three full-time employees even before Terry's departure is a matter of concern. The Argus Leader has done a good job covering D-1 sports in South Dakota, much better than the TV stations. I hope the Argus Leader can keep it up.
            Who were the full 3 time employees?

Is the argus looking to cut down its sports section or what?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not sure of the names of the Argus writers that got laid off but there were many cuts company wide. Stu Whitney is not sports editor anymore, he's doing more broad stories now. Basically a big re-organization. Look back a few posts on here, I put up some articles relating to the whole Argus situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                Not sure of the names of the Argus writers that got laid off but there were many cuts company wide. Stu Whitney is not sports editor anymore, he's doing more broad stories now. Basically a big re-organization. Look back a few posts on here, I put up some articles relating to the whole Argus situation.
                Yep. I would not be surprised to see Stu working outside journalism soon, by his own choice. His entire career has been sports oriented. He might even have enough clout to start a South Dakota-like Grantland covering things all over the state. Get a few key sponsors/advertisers and its better money and less stress than a newspaper job. It would probably mean lots of nights away from home though.

Honest question for those that might know, could a facility like the Pentagon use a full time writer on staff covering all their events? There are games going on there 3-6 nights a week during the fall/winter/spring, plus all the AAU type stuff in the summer. I would not be surprised at all to see organizations employing their own writers to put out "news" about their teams/events.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Honest question for those that might know, could a facility like the Pentagon use a full time writer on staff covering all their events? There are games going on there 3-6 nights a week during the fall/winter/spring, plus all the AAU type stuff in the summer. I would not be surprised at all to see organizations employing their own writers to put out "news" about their teams/events.
                  Great question, but I don't think so. Terry would probably be the point person that would over see this position you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Who were the full 3 time employees?

Is the argus looking to cut down its sports section or what?
                    Ron Hoffman was a very good, behind-the-scenes member of the sports staff at the Argus Leader for a long time. Wade LaRouche, I understand, was a relatively new but talented sports staffer who came to the Argus Leader from Pierre. Their positions were eliminated. Meanwhile, Stu Whitney got moved from sports to the news section. I'm guessing those are the sports positions that people are talking about. These are the kind of staff cuts that have been hitting the mainstream media, including TV and radio, for several years. Everybody tries to keep doing the same with less.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Our own Cadsev, Paul Seville, typically is in charge of events at the Pentagon. Tim Gerszewski has been the typical point of media relations at the Pentagon.

And for the hell of it, I might throw my hat into the running for Argus beat writer!

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                        Our own Cadsev, Paul Seville, typically is in charge of events at the Pentagon. Tim Gerszewski has been the typical point of media relations at the Pentagon.

And for the hell of it, I might throw my hat into the running for Argus beat writer!
                        I figured they had media relations staff, but I'm talking more about a staffer who can spoon feed newspaper-quality articles directly to the media that they can just reprint on a regular basis. No Argus sports reporters needed, they are the publisher only. If you want your story in the Argus, you better have an Argus-quality writer on staff. My uneducated view of media relations is that their job currently involves setup/takedown as well as answering general questions from reporters/media. This hypothetical person I'm talking about would act exactly like an Argus reporter but would be a paid employee of the Pentagon/Premiere Center (yes there would be a HUGE conflict of interest).
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I figured they had media relations staff, but I'm talking more about a staffer who can spoon feed newspaper-quality articles directly to the media that they can just reprint on a regular basis. No Argus sports reporters needed, they are the publisher only. If you want your story in the Argus, you better have an Argus-quality writer on staff. My uneducated view of media relations is that their job currently involves setup/takedown as well as answering general questions from reporters/media. This hypothetical person I'm talking about would act exactly like an Argus reporter but would be a paid employee of the Pentagon/Premiere Center (yes there would be a HUGE conflict of interest).
                          The Denny Sanford Premier Center (public facility) has zero ties w/ Sanford Health (except for the donation of the naming rights for T. Denny), whereas the Sanford Pentagon (private facility) is owned and operated by Sanford Health. Just curious why you put the two together.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            The Denny Sanford Premier Center (public facility) has zero ties w/ Sanford Health (except for the donation of the naming rights for T. Denny), whereas the Sanford Pentagon (private facility) is owned and operated by Sanford Health. Just curious why you put the two together.
                            Sorry meant a facility like the Pentagon or Premiere Center. Or an organization like SDSU or USD. Did not mean to lump them together, I understand there are no ties.

Comment

Suggesting that a busy sports or entertainment venue have its own reporter/writer on staff is not a bad idea. Some businesses do that. However, most mainstream media outlets probably wouldn't publish or broadcast the full stories, as submitted, for ego or ethical reasons. So, to be worthwhile as a marketing tool, the venue probably would have to publish the stories on its own website or newsletter, in addition to giving the stories to the general media for free use. There's nothing wrong with that.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

I just realized that next Wednesday is Signing Day and TV won't be there. I'm flummoxed.

I'm sure that Zim will do a good job, but there is no relationship there with the staff at SDSU or with even some of the recruits. The depth and drama that can happen on signing day can be so much fun, but TV just won't be there......

Comment

Working...
                                X