Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    Terry was pretty unhappy with the changes made in the past months at the Argus, and so I am happy that he found a job that I am sure will be better for him and his family (less travel...and lots of night work on a morning daily). I am sure that there will be some good applicants for the position, but less sure of what will happen right now at the Argus with his departure. And as has been expessed here...it was TV's entrepreneurial reporting (he worked hard coming up with all kinds of ideas and his social media efforts were great) that made him stand out...and that is going to be hard to duplicate.
    What were some of the changes that they made?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      What were some of the changes that they made?
      Stu is no longer Sports Editor, he has moved over to reporting about city issues.
      Assignments/beats have changed for the sports reporters. Terry is no longer Skyforce beat writer, I think he really enjoyed that beat.
      There were a few layoffs. A new guy they just brought in for covering HS sports a few months ago was let go.

Jacks#1Fan may have more insight and additional changes.

Comment

I think the effects of TV leaving will be felt throughout the Summit League and the MVFC. He did a great job as we know of covering SDSU but he also kept us up to speed on everything that was happening throughout the conferences. His coverage leading up to and of the Summit League Tournament was unbelievable. I'm guessing even someone like a Tom Douple won't be happy about him leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Stu is no longer Sports Editor, he has moved over to reporting about city issues.
          Assignments/beats have changed for the sports reporters. Terry is no longer Skyforce beat writer, I think he really enjoyed that beat.
          There were a few layoffs. A new guy they just brought in for covering HS sports a few months ago was let go.

Jacks#1Fan may have more insight and additional changes.
          Do they have a sports editor now since his changed? Wondered why stu had a lot of non sports things on the site.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe there is/ was a sports reporter at the Omaha World herald that is from Brookings. Matt Miller might be his name. There is anotherfjournalist former bobcat/ jackrabbit Josh Linehan out east. Both could be a good fit.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I don't see Zimmer taking the SDSU beat. Unless things have changed he has clearly said he likes the D-2 beats (Augie & USF) and not the rigors of covering a D-1 school. There has got to be some young journalists jumping at the chance to apply for this position, Terry has made this position into a very good gig. The next person will have some huge shoes to fill. The research and time Terry put into his coverage was second to none.

Just don't stick us w/ Mick. The Skyforce coverage has been next to nothing since he took over. Skyforce has had two players called up to NBA teams in the last week and very little or no mention of it.
              On second thought have a feeling it will be Zimmer. Short-term? interim basis?

Comment

Do you think that the Argus may take releases like an AP report? KELO does not often send a camera to Brookings. They receive the footage taken by SDSU camera from the game. It may take a direction we do not expect. The Argus has a shrinking market which means less advertising money. That is losing income on both sides of the stream.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Do you think that the Argus may take releases like an AP report? KELO does not often send a camera to Brookings. They receive the footage taken by SDSU camera from the game. It may take a direction we do not expect. The Argus has a shrinking market which means less advertising money. That is losing income on both sides of the stream.
                  No I don't. SDSU beat is too valuable for them not to have someone assigned.

Comment

On second thought have a feeling it will be Zimmer. Short-term? interim basis?
                    I wouldn't mind Zimmer. I like his work, and he is usually a good read. I think he would ask tough questions that don't get asked now, and keep asking until he got an answer or was asked to leave.

Stu might even be fun for short term. He is no lover of SDSU, but he is a good/great journalist, and would not be afraid to ask tough questions. I think the outstanding Summit League Tournament coverage has been due to his vision.

TV is great and will be hard/impossible to replace, but he hardly ever rocked the boat.

I think whoever gets the job will be relegated to football and home events. Maybe trips to Fargo, Omaha, Vermillion, and NCAA tournaments. Other than that, we will be getting wire reports on away games.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Like others, I feared this day would be coming in the not distant future. Terry is a very talented journalist and very skilled at all forms of media which is what is demanded today to move to bigger and better things. On one hand it surprised me to see him leave sports journalism but it makes total sense for his family.

It has been a real pleasure to follow the Jacks through TV's reporting and we will probably never see one like him again. It's hard to imagine just like it is hard to imagine having another Nate Wolters type player. But then a Telly shows up. Who's the next beat reporter going to be? Who knows. They will have big shoes to fill and a fan base that has been spoiled by the writing of a very good journalist.

I wish Terry and his family nothing but the best. They have been through so much and still have battles ahead with Kailey. I have really admired and respected him as a person. Terry, enjoy the new position and the time with your family. You've more than earned it.

SUPERRBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

In general, media seems to be shifting to fewer people to do things that used to require a live human doing them. I listen to KWAT in Watertown, and from about 10PM until 5AM, there is no live programing other than hourly news reports from CBS. One of the key persons on the air Todd Inderson lives in Sioux Falls but signs on at 5:00AM every morning. Beck the former publisher of the Argus Leader was a key to allowing TV do his thing and giving the coverage SDSU deserved. Beck is no longer on the job and we have a new publisher with different ideas that may or may not have included TV into the future. I getting speculative, but this is the trend. Fewer people and more machines and gadgets to get the job done that's what seems to be movement of direction.

Comment

I will miss Terry and his coverage greatly. But good for him, I'm certain with all the health troubles of his little ones, it has to weigh on him to take all those (sometimes long) road trips.

The first name that popped into my mind was also Marcus Traxler. He's working at the Mitchell Republic, I believe. And if I remember right, he even wrote a few things for the Argus once upon a time, when TV was unavailable. He would be very similar to TV in that he's strong in social media, and would be great at the ingame chats.

Zimmer, while I love him as a writer, I don't see him covering the Jacks, unless forced to. He is a Sioux Falls kid, he loves covering Augie and USF, and I can't see him leave that beat for someone else. It means too much to him.

It will certainly be interesting. I'm not sure if Traxler could be unbiased, which was a good point. But he's a good writer, and a good reporter.

Comment

Granted this article from Matt Zimmer was before Terry's decision to leave but sounds like he's pretty content with what he's doing......
                            http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...gues/21423159/

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                              Granted this article from Matt Zimmer was before Terry's decision to leave but sounds like he's pretty content with what he's doing......
                              http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...gues/21423159/
                              Agree, but if you look at the recent twitter accounts Zimmer followed in the past two days, they have all been SDSU, Summit League and MVFC accounts. I may be grasping for straws but...

Comment

Here's another article explaining the recent changes at the Argus for those interested..... http://www.argusleader.com/story/opi...rage/19434077/ ..... in fact, Doug Lund, who you may remember from KELO TV still writes a blog and wrote a blog about his feeling on the Argus changes and caught the attention of Patrick Lalley who is managing editor of Argus media. Patrick wrote in the comments section, pretty interesting stuff. http://blog.keloland.com/lund/blog/2...rgus-reporter/

Comment

Working...
                                X