• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mascot News

Originally posted by 2002jack
    https://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/MascotDesigns/DesignChallenge/

Here's your chance.
    I think we can interpret this as a "vote of no confidence" in Phoenix Design Works' work product to date . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      [quote author=2002jack link=1177610068/90#103 date=1180253104]https://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/MascotDesigns/DesignChallenge/

Here's your chance.
      I think we can interpret this as a "vote of no confidence" in Phoenix Design Works' work product to date . . . [/quote]

This is your chance. Your opportunity to make history. A once-in-a-lifetime shot at leaving a legacy for South Dakota State University, its students… its faculty… the alumni.

The SDSU mascot is getting a makeover. What will be the look of the new Jackrabbit? You could be the one who decides. Enter the Jackrabbit Design Challenge for a chance to win $1,000.

It’s easy to enter. Go to our online Jackrabbit Design Challenge registration form. Enter your contact information, upload your design and you’re done! Or if you prefer, print out the entry form and mail it along with your design to the address provided.

All Jackrabbit Design Challenge entries are due by 12:00 PM on June 30, 2007. A panel of SDSU judges will select the winning design. If you’re the winner you’ll walk away with $1,000 plus the pride of creating the new Jackrabbit!
      When I click on the link for the registration form, it just brings me to a blank page. WTF!!!
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Okay, so we spent thousands of dollars for this Phoenix Design Works to come up with three truly horrible designs (I think most of us agree that picking a design was like picking the lesser of three evils).

Now, we open it up to the public and it'll cost the school, what, a thousand bucks in prize money?

With all the outstanding talent that has come from SDSU's visual arts and grapic design majors, I have one question....

WHY DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THIS BEFORE?????

It's like wiping before you poop, it don't make sense!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The link didn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
            The link didn't work for me. Any suggestions?
            Only thing I can think of is wait until people come back from the holiday weekend to fix the link. In the meantime, fire up MS-Paint (or whatever) and start working on your own knock-em-dead Jackrabbit logos . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You know, I really like my logo for this site, but I'll toss it out as a poll here: Should I selflessly submit my "galloping rabbit" logo to SDSU or keep it as the logo of the site here?

I'm really not looking forward to trying to create another logo (graphic design is not my forte) but it seems that a couple of folks here liked mine pretty well. So, shortly, a poll will appear on this thread.

Here it is:

[img]www.medary.com/external/sdsufanscomrabbit.jpg[/img]
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Whatever happened to the logos put together by the Brandon firm (Fresh Produce). I personally thought their submission was much better than the N.Y. designs.

Comment

Filbert: I voted "Go for it" ... I think the posters on this message board are accustomed to stuffing ballot boxes...so, posters, GO FOR IT.

Comment

Well, I personally voted "no, keep it for SDSUFans.com" but I'll abide by the majority vote and submit my 'galloping rabbit' if a majority of the voters say so.

I'll leave the poll open until 4 p.m. CDT tomorrow (that'll be one week) so if you haven't voted, please do so, unless you really really don't care one way or another.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      You know, I really like my logo for this site, but I'll toss it out as a poll here:  Should I selflessly submit my "galloping rabbit" logo to SDSU or keep it as the logo of the site here?  

I'm really not looking forward to trying to create another logo (graphic design is not my forte) but it seems that a couple of folks here liked mine pretty well.  So, shortly, a poll will appear on this thread.

Here it is:

[img]www.medary.com/external/sdsufanscomrabbit.jpg[/img]

Hands-Down the best logo design I've seen yet!!!!  I would wear this, and I am the pickiest hetrosexual you will ever meet when it comes to my clothing.
                      Great job Filbert!!

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Replying to jackrabit 1's post about why didn't anyone think of this before:

Bringing the new mascot to a design contest is NOT a new idea. In fact, the Collegian ran a story about students who were so upset with the initial design they created their own designs. The story asked members of the logo committee if they consider a design contest and they said no and they were confident with Phoenix Design Works. The story quoted students and alumni who had wished the logo committee would open the design process. Accompanying the story was several designs that students came up with in their spare time. One student spent four hours drawing his own designs because he felt so passionate about the new mascot. The Collegian then editorialized, on two different occasions, that students, alumni and community members should have a chance to submit drawings. After the story and editorials ran, The Collegian received letters to the editor saying it was a shame that students couldn't be more involved in this process, especially since SDSU has such a wonderful graphic design program. (This fall, former President Miller told the Students' Association that graphic design is probably the fast growing program at SDSU.) So this isn't a new concept. It just has taken the logo committee a while to admit this is the best plan of action for the new logo.

Comment

Jazzy, I was being sarcastic... considering our current logo was designed by a student. It served us well for over thirty years.

And the fact that we have a talented corps of artists in the SDSU community, you'd think common sense would dictate the powers that be would go with a group of people that could more accurately depict the spirit and soul of our school, rather than some 5th Avenue soulless entitiy.

And it would have saved the school a little bit of money, to boot!

And with this, I submit my 500th posting... I'd like to thank everyone who made this possible... 89, Filbert, little Baby Jesus, my smokin-hot wife Carly, my sons, Walker and Texas Ranger... whoops! That's Ricky Bobby!
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Oh by the way Phoenix Design Works' web site is up and running again.

http://phoenixdesignworks.com/index.html

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              Oh by the way Phoenix Design Works' web site is up and running again.

http://phoenixdesignworks.com/index.html

Go State!  
                              Wow...looking at their portfolio...this company rocks. The are the who's who of logo design companies. Maybe we ought to give Phoenix Design Works a break and really start criticizing the process in getting a new logo. It's obvious to me that PDW is more than capable of creating awesome logos for other schools so. Therefore I would suspect the information and requests going to them is not what reflects the Jackrabbit spirit is looking for.

Comment

The Collegian actually also ran a story about that too. They interviewed Cal State-Bakersfield and that school was more than happy with Phoenix Design Works.

It is the logo committee. They have been the problem all along. Some members of the committee feel very passionate about this, but unfortunately, others, including the person in charge, just want this whole thing over and don't care what it looks like in the end. And it was the committee who took an entire year, after hundreds of hate mail and phone calls, to realize that a New York firm may not be the best fit for SDSU at all. If anyone is to blame, it is the committee.

(And sorry for such a jump on the sarcastic comment. I just care about this deeply like everyone else.)

Comment

Working...
                                X