Mascot News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mascot News

Try as I might, I can't get into #2 at all, even looking at the larger images. It just looks to me like a scared, or possibly insanely deranged, bunny.

I'm actually swinging back a bit towards #1, if they can lengthen it out and make it a bit less hippity-hoppity (like I've mentioned before) and a bit more determined, I might be able to get behind it. #3, in the larger views, is a bit too busy for my taste as an abstract rabbit.

Playing off my own humble design, I'd like to see what Phoenix could do if they took #1, made it a bit more lean (jackrabbit-like vs. cottontail-like), and put the hind legs of the rabbit out in front as if it were in full gallop.

It's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that this ain't as easy as it looks. . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      I'm actually swinging back a bit towards #1, if they can lengthen it out and make it a bit less hippity-hoppity (like I've mentioned before) and a bit more determined, I might be able to get behind it.
      Agreed!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        [quote author=filbert link=1177610068/60#60 date=1178829285]
        I'm actually swinging back a bit towards #1, if they can lengthen it out and make it a bit less hippity-hoppity (like I've mentioned before) and a bit more determined, I might be able to get behind it.
        Agreed!

Go State!  
        [/quote]

How about taking #1's face and putting on #2's body....elongate the ears as well.  That would be my dream rabbit.

I like the option of the whole body without the "poop" swoosh.  I also like to see the words "South Dakota State" on most of the branding.  If you don't add that in, then you are just walking around with a damn bunny on your shirt.

They are keeping the stretch "SD" as well.  Aren't they?  I think it is more appropriate for FB helmets.  I also like to see the phrase "State" used as well, like Michigan State does.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          Try as I might, I can't get into #2 at all, even looking at the larger images.  It just looks to me like a scared, or possibly insanely deranged, bunny.

I'm actually swinging back a bit towards #1, if they can lengthen it out and make it a bit less hippity-hoppity (like I've mentioned before) and a bit more determined, I might be able to get behind it.  #3, in the larger views, is a bit too busy for my taste as an abstract rabbit.

Playing off my own humble design, I'd like to see what Phoenix could do if they took #1, made it a bit more lean (jackrabbit-like vs. cottontail-like), and put the hind legs of the rabbit out in front as if it were in full gallop.

It's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that this ain't as easy as it looks. . .
          I think you're right. It would actually be more like historic stretch bunnies if they elongate him a bit.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Of all that I've seen, I like JackJD's which I believe is from the old cross-country uni's, and Filbert's best of all. Of the three groups, I like #1, then 2, then 3. #3 is too abstract for me (I quite frankly am sick of the term stylized - do we want any logo without style?) As for the flaming-fart rabbits in any of the groups, that is a set up for way too much ridicule. Hopefully color would change that look.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I like the concept behind #3 the best and I'm not a huge fan of #1 or #2. My wife and children like #1 the best. Regardless, I like the school's name included in the logo. Don't get me wrong, I have some perspective and will support South Dakota State regardless of what mascot is chosen.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here's my take: the ones submitted for vote are a little better than the first model, but as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be very happy with any of them.

Personally, I like Filbert's better than any of the three: 1) I like the "gallop" legs, which help carry the running Rabbit theme; and the longer back legs and paws are much more true to the body of a real jackrabbit. 2) I like the longer ears laid back, as the main feature of the jackrabbit compared to a bunny, or dogs, or whatever, are the large ears. It is a stylized rabbit with a little abstract touch. (The abstract rabbit (#3) is so abstract as to make it virtually unrecognizeable and makes me think I've been drinking...well, maybe I shouldn't say that!)

I DO NOT like the swoosh tale that they have on the #1 rabbit in each of the submitted logos (the others have a regular rabbit tale -- I suppose the swoosh is supposed to denote speed or running, but it looks just plain silly to me.

I hear people saying "I can live with #__", but I don't hear hardly anybody saying "I'm thrilled with #__". That tells me that either Phoenix Designs is going to have to do a great job at modifying and improving the current designs....or the committee should put Phoenix on hold, and ask for additional submissions by SDSU alumni and friends who can enlarge the field of possibilities.

My bottom line is that I think Filbert's is better than any of the logo's on the vote page; but that doesn't mean there aren't better ones or that it can't be improved. Seeing it with a variety of type faces for the words that will go along with it would also help (the job done in putting the rabbit face into the JACKS logo that we currently have is an example of how creative art and type can be melded together.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                  Of all that I've seen, I like JackJD's which I believe is from the old cross-country uni's, and Filbert's best of all. Of the three groups, I like #1, then 2, then 3. #3 is too abstract for me (I quite frankly am sick of the term stylized - do we want any logo without style?) As for the flaming-fart rabbits in any of the groups, that is a set up for way too much ridicule. Hopefully color would change that look.
                  Here's the recent history of the old-style Rabbit mentioned by 1stRow and a couple others.  That Rabbit is from a t-shirt the cross country team wore for many years starting about 1972 or so and it was worn until at least the mid to late 1980s.  SDSU's coach, Rod Dehaven and his great teammates wore that shirt.  I don't think the shirt was worn through the 1990s or 2000 or 2001.  In the Fall of 2002, a cross country runner took a digital picture of SDSU Hall-of-famer Garry Bentley (multiple All-America, national champ, etc.), which is on the wall outside Frost Arena.  I believe the picture is from 1975 and Garry's wearing the shirt.  That pic was taken to Prairie Graphics and the shirt was re-born for the Fall of 2002 and has been extremely popular since then.  Many high school kids are starting to show up with that shirt -- they're for sale when SDSU hosts a cross country meet.  

I have two of the Cross Country shirts. It's a cool shirt but probably the school should have a different Jackrabbit for its new logo. (The Cross Country team likes having what is essentially their own "trademark".)

I'm glad I'm not on whatever committee is making the logo selection.

GO RABBITS!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                    [quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1177610068/60#64 date=1178836386]Of all that I've seen, I like JackJD's which I believe is from the old cross-country uni's, and Filbert's best of all. Of the three groups, I like #1, then 2, then 3. #3 is too abstract for me (I quite frankly am sick of the term stylized - do we want any logo without style?) As for the flaming-fart rabbits in any of the groups, that is a set up for way too much ridicule. Hopefully color would change that look.
                    Here's the recent history of the old-style Rabbit mentioned by 1stRow and a couple others.  That Rabbit is from a t-shirt the cross country team wore for many years starting about 1972 or so and it was worn until at least the mid to late 1980s.  SDSU's coach, Rod Dehaven and his great teammates wore that shirt.  I don't think the shirt was worn through the 1990s or 2000 or 2001.  In the Fall of 2002, a cross country runner took a digital picture of SDSU Hall-of-famer Garry Bentley (multiple All-America, national champ, etc.), which is on the wall outside Frost Arena.  I believe the picture is from 1975 and Garry's wearing the shirt.  That pic was taken to Prairie Graphics and the shirt was re-born for the Fall of 2002 and has been extremely popular since then.  Many high school kids are starting to show up with that shirt -- they're for sale when SDSU hosts a cross country meet.  

I have two of the Cross Country shirts.  It's a cool shirt but probably the school should have a different Jackrabbit for its new logo.  (The Cross Country team likes having what is essentially their own "trademark".)

I'm glad I'm not on whatever committee is making the logo selection.  

GO RABBITS!

[/quote]

I think the stretched out rabbit like the one on the cross country shirts was actually used decades prior to its rediscovery in 1972. The original use was probably in a yearbook. The bookstore has a poster with about 100 historic SDSU Jackrabbits and there are several "stretched-out" bunnies on that poster.

Personally, I don't like an of the stylized rabbits that I have seen. Those sorts of stylized logos will, in my opinion, appear very dated very quickly. I prefer the historical connection to a more realistic, stretch bunny.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think you're right, JimmyJack...the Jackrabbit on the Cross Country shirt is a relatively realistic drawing from way back. It's a great, distinctive shirt that stands out in a crowd...fans, particularly running fans, recognize that shirt instantly as the shirt of SDSU Cross Country. My summary of the recent history goes back to when Jay Dirksen was the head coach...I think that's when the shirt in its present form, was first introduced.

For some reason, having the realistic Jackrabbit, other than on the Cross Country shirt, just doesn't do it for me. I think a stylized 'Rabbit is the right direction although I agree with others: there's a risk it will be "dated" quickly. North Dakota State has changed its logo over recent years and I have liked most of the changes. Working with the concept of a charging, snorting Bison may be easier for a graphic artist than working with a Jackrabbit.

My initial preference was #2...I thought that proposal had more staying power than #3. Then I leaned toward #3. And, when I saw JimmyJack's larger version of #1, I thought that one was the best for a starting point.

Maybe we'll end up like Marquette (name changing, logo changing all the time); or Stanford University (The Cardinal -- picture of a tree on the logo). Maybe we should take a note from St. Louis University -- the Billikens. (What's a Billiken? http://slubillikens.cstv.com/trads/billiken.html ) We could be the Billy-Jacks, featuring a picture of actor Tom Laughlin from the sappy movie of the same name made decades ago. ;D

Comment

Filbert's OK, the South Dakota company that produced Jack Rabbit logos that were knocked because they screwed up the team name--OK. The big bucks firm wretchedly bad. I still remember a late sixties rabbit that looked like a stockier UMKC Kangaroo but with fangs. Is that one on the historical jackrabbit poster?

This is the spirit of what I want in a mascot:

http://www.citizen.co.za/index/artic...esc=36741,1,22

I propose a special breeding program to produce rabid attack rabbits to be unleashed at half time of sporting events.

Comment

One thing all of us hard core fans and alumni need to remember is that this new logo is gain new fans and help sell merchandise. Let's face it all of us will be hardcore fans and buy Jackrabbit merchandise whether the logo is Bugs Bunny, a real Jackrabbit or an abstract computer graphic. The University and athletic department are interested in selling tickets and selling merchandise while improving the experience of student athletes.
                          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I think they should pay off the contract, if necessary and start new with a company that has some understanding of what an athletic logo is. I understand this firm IS experienced in this sort of thing, but this is just not working at all.

The earlier comment that an undergrad graphics major could do a better job is right on.

Comment

I honestly don't think this is as easy as everyone is making it sound. Seriously making an intimidating bunny? I would say that isn't an easy task. I don't think the first choice is all that bad. Maybe a few minor changes, but honestly it's pretty good. For those of you who think you can do better. Let's see it. These people are paid to make us happy. Let's let them try it before we get so judgemental. Everyone is not gonna be happy right away which is why they are asking for criticism. Give them your opinion and see what happens. If you don't like the final product then you can B&*)^. But for now they are looking for constructive criticism so they can make it better. I sure the hell couldn't do better that is for sure. I am an engineer not an artist.

Comment

Personally, I dislike all of the samples brought forth. I think it should have gone heavily abstract, to where it's just a basic shape, like a curve with rabbit ear shapes or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X