• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Senate Bill 11 - Indoor practice facility

Just passed a second ago. There were only 9 no votes and the rest were yes

Comment

how many voted no against the usd plan? was it the same people? wonder what their objection to building a multimillion dollar building on state land that its students will benefit from paid with donor money.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There will always be a few that vote against spending at at the largest state university. Just as there will always be a few that will vote against spending money on Sioux Falls. It is the SD "don't let anyting get too big" attitude.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
          There will always be a few that vote against spending at at the largest state university. Just as there will always be a few that will vote against spending money on Sioux Falls. It is the SD "don't let anyting get too big" attitude.
          Can't have anyone getting too big for their britches, you know.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            how many voted no against the usd plan? was it the same people? wonder what their objection to building a multimillion dollar building on state land that its students will benefit from paid with donor money.
            No votes
            Hickey
            Nelson
            Verchio
            Kaiser
            Kopp
            May
            Betty Olson
            Russell
            Greenfield

USD No Votes were same except Verchio voted yes but Latterell and Campbell voted no for a total of 10 no votes.

Comment

Looks like I'm duplicating much of the prior post but I looked up the info and thought I'd post it anyway because it also lists the Senators who voted nay.

Here are the nine “No” votes in the House today on SB 11, the Indoor Track and Practice Facility: Greenfield; Hickey; Nelson; Russell; Verchio; Kaiser; Kopp; May; and Olson (Betty). Three Senators had voted against it: Monroe; Omdahl; and Maher.

Some have asked: who voted against USD’s project, SB 8 (new basketball facility, outdoor track). Ten House members voted against SB 8. They are: Campbell; Greenfield; Hickey; Nelson; Russell; Kaiser; Kopp; Latterell; May; and Olson (Betty). Three Senators voted against it: Omdahl; Otten (Ernie); and Maher.

The money to construct SDSU’s facility (initially projected at $32,000,000) is donated. The money to construct USD’s facility (projected: $48,200,000) is partially donated and partially ($22,700,000 million) using bonds issued by the South Dakota Building Authority. Revenue from the USD facility will be used to repay the bonds. Neither project impacts the State’s budget (I suppose one could argue there is some miniscule cost, e.g. some state employees will spend some time monitoring things for a while). The cost figures are expressed in 2012 dollars. The bills make room for final costs to be up to 125% of the projectedcosts in the laws.

Comment

All 9 are republicans

Comment

So, um... What's the next hurdle before they can start?
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...l.aspx?Bill=11

You can hear discussion at 1:26:55 time point. Almost zero discussion on it, just a representative summarizing the bill.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        All 9 are republicans
                        Please refrain for such comments ... we're trying to avoid politics on this board.

But note: taking shots at individual representatives or senators based on their voting against SDSU issues is fair game so long as one doesn't start dragging in one party vs another party.

Rabibit74: please check your PMs. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          So, um... What's the next hurdle before they can start?
                          The Governor has to sign off.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            The Governor has to sign off.
                            Thanks. Anybody know when they plan to start digging?
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              All 9 are republicans
                              Dont go there. Been there done that. Politics tend upset people who come here to read about SDSU and the Jacks.

Comment

I've asked several lawmakers that have voted in opposition to these donor funded project why they are opposed. The answer is generally the same, they feel the money donated to athletic facilities would be better spent on other non-athletic based projects and feel by opposing this kind of legislation they are forwarding their agenda to support education ahead of athletics.

I have tried to explain that many donors, myself included, would not be donating as much to education as we do if a premier athletic program was not part of it. The legislators I have spoken with do not believe I am being sincere when I say that. So, its a belief that money spent on athletic programs would better be spent elsewhere.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X