DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

Agreed, we are in no position to think about I-A FB as it stands right now.  Granted, I-A is clearly divided between those schools competative in the BCS and those in mid and low-level conferences.  I do know that SJ States decision will have an affect on the Great West Conference, BSC and SDSU.

Here are a couple of articles with quotes from UNC's new AD. Each mentions the BSC.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ts/9476691.htm

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/co...133103,00.html
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jackmd

What is interesting here is the stepped interest by UNC in the Big Sky Conference membership. I think too with San Jose State, that they will figure into the equation some how. Just dropping the sport can be costly as the article states, but staying and joining the Big Sky may not be that easy either. Plus the travel for them will be hassel, but then they got a conference trip to Tulsa this fall and a few others. This is a hard one to figure out and I dont envy the new president. Thanks for bringing this article to the board. I am marking the SJSU website as a favorite.

Comment

The thing that concerns me is that the big sky is going to make their choice this spring. I was reasonably optismistic about fb and soccer and it looks like this year is really going to be a struggle. Basketball will hopefully be better but we are inexperienced not very big so we may rack up a lot of d1 losses. I expect us to do well against the d2 people but if we get beat all year long in d1 and don't show much to the big sky I am afraid they will bypass us. I hope I am wrong but we already have geography working against us. Put that on top of a terrible year athletically and I not so sure they will want us. I almost wish they would say we are going to wait 3 years and then expand bc I believe we will be so much better by then and ready to compete. I don't know if they will accept our promise that we will be ready to compete in 3 years - I hope they do. But then what do I know - I thought we were going to beat Davis. But then the mid cont is just fine by me, too. I am for this move but I wish we had a little more time to get our programs in order before the big decision is made in april. Go Jacks!!!

Comment

sdman I understand the concern about getting into the Big Sky. I think the decision makers know two things. The first is that they are in the business of athletics and realize the transitional years will be filled with losses. If it was that easy to win in DI then why isn't everyone playing it? The second thing is pretty simple to me. No members of any league want a newcomer to come into a conference and be a world beater. Can you imagine if Minnesota Duluth immediately comes into the league and starts winning everything in the NCC? What does that say about the NCC? What does that say about hte athletic programs of long time conference members? It would be a little embarrassing and difficult to explain to boosters and alumni.

Comment

It seems to me the "package" of NDSU and SDSU is attractive to the Big Sky. I think SDSU is fortunate to have its good friends and, friendly rivals, the Bison, to work with in this transition.

Comment

If you are counting NDSU as your friend, then you better keep a closer eye on your enemies. NDSU, like any school in it's position, will throw SDSU under the bus in a heartbeat if it advances their cause. That does not make NDSU evil, because SDSU, UNC, and all the others should be ready to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                If you are counting NDSU as your friend, then you better keep a closer eye on your enemies. NDSU, like any school in it's position, will throw SDSU under the bus in a heartbeat if it advances their cause. That does not make NDSU evil, because SDSU, UNC, and all the others should be ready to do the same thing.
                Mike:
                When push comes to shove, I would agree with your comments, but at the same time, I watched the NDSU-SDSU presidents sit together in the Bison Sports Center and enjoyed a SDSU as@ kicking in basketball. I think there is a very cordial relationship between Presidents Miller and Chapman, but no doubt there is no signed pact of any kind and how the BSC handle the admission thing remains to be seen.

SDSU best hope is that some of the other existing members chose to leave or they are kicked out. I am thinking of such schools as Sacrmento State and Portland State. We just have to wait and see.

Comment

A story from the Grand Forks paper, not a lot new but . . .

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...ts/9756370.htm

SDSU working on response for Big Sky Conference

Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. - South Dakota State University has until next month to respond to an official set of criteria the school received from the eight-team Big Sky Conference for SDSU's Division I sports offerings, athletic director Fred Oien said.

He said he and his staff members have been working on the response. "We will forward that and will be anticipating a review of the responses," he said.

Conference officials then will decide whether they will "make site visits to any campuses or several or whatever they choose to do," Oien said.

Preliminary criteria had been announced by the conference in July. "I can say that given the criteria that they stated originally, South Dakota State is in a very good position," Oien said . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Very interesting post/quote from the Montana State board:

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbo...opic.php?t=709

Big Sky too expand, and soon...
                    Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton says the conference is exploring expanding from eight schools to as many as 12 in the next two years. “We’re always looking at expansion, because every conference has to look at that as a way to protect themselves,” Fullerton says. “If it makes sense for the conference and for the school, we’ll probably expand sometime in 2006.” Schools in the Great West Football Conference, including Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Cal Davis, are likely targets for expansion. Fullerton said the Big Sky would expand primarily as a way to help its basketball programs, which often have trouble scheduling opponents. Division I conferences must have at least seven schools to receive an automatic berth in the NCAA men’s tourney; the Big Sky has eight members, just over the limit. “That tournament is worth around $3 million a year to our schools, so we’re always looking at what other conference realignments might do to our conference,” Fullerton says. “We’re looking at other schools as a way to protect ourselves in case anything unexpected happens in the near future.”

Love hearing that the conference will expand "primarily as a way to help its basketball programs". Anyone know of a school that is looking to join the Big Sky with a really good basketball program? ;D

Go State! ;D

Comment

I'm still wondering what the official source of that story is. You'd figure that if it's something official, they would have used the proper 'to' in the title. :

UC-Davis being in the mix doesn't make sense ???. They already had an invite to the Big Sky and turned it down in favor of the Big West.

The BB is a valid point, as a conference needs seven BB teams for an autobid, but only six for I-AA football. Even more odd, is the talk of football only members. Throw in the fact that Sac State and Portland State are the ones most rumored to possibly be leaving for DI-A, and the story loses more credibility IMO.

Comment

Found a reputable source, The Portland Tribune:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=26422

• Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton says the conference is exploring expanding from eight schools to as many as 12 in the next two years.
                          “We’re always looking at expansion, because every conference has to look at that as a way to protect themselves,” Fullerton says. “If it makes sense for the conference and for the school, we’ll probably expand sometime in 2006.”
                          Schools in the Great West Football Conference, including Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Cal Davis, are likely targets for expansion.
                          Fullerton said the Big Sky would expand primarily as a way to help its basketball programs, which often have trouble scheduling opponents.
                          Division I conferences must have at least seven schools to receive an automatic berth in the NCAA men’s tourney; the Big Sky has eight members, just over the limit.
                          “That tournament is worth around $3 million a year to our schools, so we’re always looking at what other conference realignments might do to our conference,” Fullerton says. “We’re looking at other schools as a way to protect ourselves in case anything unexpected happens in the near future.”  .  .  .

This is good news for SDSU!  8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

After reading that article, it's nothing new, other than the writer's opinion on who is under consideration. The only true facts are that Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State have expressed interest in joining the Big Sky.

Comment

I think the emphasis basketball is new .  .  . I have always thought this was the case but hadn't read it before.  Especially not such strong statement being attributed to Commissioner Fullerton.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Fulleton stated that in his 45 minute interview on WDAY. It only makes sense. Sac State is rumored to be looking at moving to I-A, and Portland State has stated if Sac State leaves, they won't stick around the Big Sky. (they also may be helped with a move to I-A). Six schools would lose the Big Sky BB autobid, and all that $$$. Factor in that conferences work better with an even number of teams for all sports other than football. Throw in UC-Davis, whose new football stadium appears to be I-A quality and size, and it looks like the PAC-10 or WAC might be picking up those schools in the future. I might be biased, but I think it's looking better for the Dakota schools. ;D

Comment

Now there are rumors of UND joining the Big Sky?? What's that all about? Wouldn't they be a few years behind? ???

Here is a link to a story that mentions it, might need to sign up to read it:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Comment

Working...
                                X