DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

I think the results from today's meeting are encouraging. I notice travel is one of the criteria to be used in selection. Also notice that MSU president could not make the meeting because of a cancellation in a flight and he participated by speaker phone. I guess where there is a will there is a way.

Comment

Here is a story about today's events from the AP:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ts/9358652.htm

Posted on Mon, Aug. 09, 2004

North Dakota State, South Dakota State may seek to join Big Sky

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY - After months of expressing interest in joining the Big Sky Conference, North Dakota State and South Dakota State have a chance to apply for membership in the eight-team league.

Members of the league's Presidents Council, meeting here Monday, discussed a set of expansion criteria and ways to formalize an expansion process. Council members said they could expand with one to three schools, or none at all.

"For them to ask schools to apply and show their interest - I view that as very positive," said Gene Taylor, NDSU athletic director.

The Presidents Council moved to accept official letters of interest from schools. . . .

Institutions that become possible expansion candidates will then be evaluated using a set of criteria approved by the Presidents Council.

The criteria will include academic quality, athletic competitiveness, commitment to gender equity, commitment to student-athlete success and geography with regard to cost of travel and travel time. . . .

Following the evaluation period, a committee will visit the campuses of expansion candidates in the spring.

The traveling committee will be comprised of at least one president, one athletic director and one faculty athletic representative from the Big Sky, along with Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton.

A final decision on expansion is expected to come late next spring.

NDSU and SDSU are entering their first season of NCAA Division I athletics. The Bison and the Jackrabbits are playing an independent schedule in every sport but football, where they are among six members in the new Great West Football Conference.

Current Big Sky Conference members are Montana State, Weber State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana, Northern Arizona, Portland State and Sacramento State. . . .

Good news we now have process and a timeline!

Go State! ;D

Comment

THis is AWESOME. Will it is not definite that we will get in, I think the most encouraging statement was that they are looking at 1-3 schools. My Guess is that of the 4 main applicants (SDSU, NDSU, UNC, SUU), we line up quite favorably to get an invitation.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

As an outsider, I think you'll be getting a call from the Big Sky saying they want SDSU in very soon.

If Sac State leaves for the Big West or, heaven forbid, the WAC, then all four candiates are in.

Exciting times for you all. I'll be rooting for both schools to join the Big Sky. To me, it'll makes more sense to join the Big Sky than the Mid-Con.

Comment

More news from the BSC President's meeting

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Big Sky looking at expansion
            Chris Solari
            Argus Leader

published: 8/10/2004

SDSU will submit official letter of interest

The Big Sky Conference presidents meeting Monday in Salt Lake City gave South Dakota State officials the responses they were looking for.

Yes, the league is strongly considering expansion. And, yes, the Brookings university is a potential target.

The Big Sky, a Division I league which spans seven states, issued a release after the meeting saying the Presidents Council, "discussed adding between one and three schools or remaining at the current eight-team makeup."

"Who knows whether we'll add any schools or three schools. But we established a timeline," Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said. "We owe it to the schools that are out there, and to the Big Sky for future stability." . . .

Fullerton made calls late Monday afternoon to schools which had already expressed an interest in joining the conference, including SDSU.

"I don't think there are any surprises," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "It's really good stuff. We've always said they're a very good conference. We'd be proud to be a member of that conference, should it all work out."

The next step is for those schools which are interested in membership to submit an official letter of interest to the league. Fullerton expected those to be due by Oct. 1.

The Big Sky's presidents also more clearly defined the criteria upon which prospective schools will be judged. Candidates which have already expressed interest in membership - such as SDSU, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah - will receive questionnaires on topics such as:

• Academic quality

• Athletic competitiveness

• Commitment to gender equity

• Commitment to student-athlete success

• Geography with regards to travel distance and time away from school for athletes.

"I think we feel good about what we accomplished today," said Eastern Washington President Stephen Jordan.

Prospective members must also support all 13 of the league's core sports. Of the four mentioned suitors, only SDSU offers all 13 of those sports.

Fullerton added that the two components which could carry greater weight are geography and academics.

"They are a little bit of trump cards," he said. "You could be the greatest school in the world. But if you're in Miami, Florida, we wouldn't take you."

Upon the return of letters of interest and questionnaires, the Big Sky presidents are expected to meet again in November. At that time, Fullerton said, officials from interested schools may be asked to attend and make their sales pitch for inclusion.

Campus visits by Big Sky officials will be scheduled for early in 2005 for schools which are still under consideration for an invitation. A final decision on expansion is expected by April 2005.

"We want to move the process along pretty quickly now," said Geoffrey Gamble, Montana State's president. Gamble took part in the discussion via teleconference due to a canceled flight. . . .

Fullerton said having an odd number of schools in the league benefits football scheduling, while an even number is good for basketball.

"If we have an opportunity to get one institution that matches up to the criteria, we'll take one," he said. "If it's none, it's none. If it's three, it's there."

The presidents of the Mid-Continent Conference, the other league mentioned as a potential home for SDSU, met in early July and said they would continue to examine expansion. . . .

I really like what I am reading!

Go State! ;D

Comment

More news.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...s/sports03.txt

Big Sky presidents take look at expansion
              By JON KASPER of the Missoulian

The Sky might be getting a bit bigger in the next year.

Expansion talks became a lot more serious Monday when the Big Sky Conference President's Council met in Salt Lake City. The league's presidents discussed adding as many as three more schools and set up an evaluation process for prospective newcomers that could lead to an expansion announcement as soon as April.

"I don't think so,'' said Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton, when asked if expansion was inevitable. "But I do think they either want to do it or not do it. They want a formal process with an end date if we're going to expand. We need to find out more about the institutions and see if it's advantageous for us to expand.''

Monday's announcement is good news for schools like North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah, which have all expressed interest in joining the Big Sky Conference. . . .

"I think you expand for two reasons,'' Fullerton said. "No. 1 is the opportunity to make yourself a lot better. No. 2 is to expand to protect yourself from the requirements that are demanded by the NCAA. You have to have seven core members. We are at eight.

"Can you look five or 10 years down the road and think that maybe holding together eight is a challenge? People move on. I think the presidents think they are on the right path to make sure they are taking a hard look.'' . . .

The league presidents have expressed concern about the location of North Dakota and South Dakota State in past meetings.

"What's hard travel for one school in our conference might not be for another,'' Fullerton said. "That's a discussion that needs to take place. That could be a trump card. There are certain criteria that could play like trump cards.

"The tradition of academic excellence is important to the presidents. Geographic location, commitment to athletics and equity are trump cards. Some things the presidents won't overlook.'' . . .

So basically every criteria is a trump card. Or there are no trump cards. Fullerton cracks me up sometimes with his distance thing. Oh well, the good news is that the Presidents are the ones with the votes.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I think its kind of a shame that in 2004 geography would be more important than academics, gender equity, etc... Sure, I say this in part because we are on the outside edge when it comes to location but give me a break. The BSC wants to expand knowing that they may lose teams to other conferences. In SDSU they have an institution with a similar make-up (better in many cases) than their current members. We now need to demostrate to the BSC member our absolute commitment to DI athletics and conference affiliation. I must say, I like our chances my friends.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doug Fullerton of the Big Sky will join us on the air today at 4:20pm CDT. You can listen, as always, online at www.kwsn.com .

Comment

I will try to make it to a computer for this interview.  Is there a possibility that a transcript of the interview might be made available in case I am unable to listen?

Here is the link:

http://www.kwsn.com/stream.php
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                      Doug Fullerton of the Big Sky will join us on the air today at 4:20pm CDT.  You can listen, as always, online at www.kwsn.com .

Great Guest, Mike! I'll be listening! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Hey, I see "89" has put the word out on the Bison Board! Looks like you just expanded your listening audience significantly with today's guest! Way to go! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Mike_H had a great post on a different thread that applies to our D-I Confernce hunt, so I thought I would quote him and bring it over here.

Mike_H wrote:

"While I am at it, here is an email I got Monday from a guy I respect a lot.

What does SDSU have to offer Division I?

The National Collegiate Scouting Association(www.ncsaports.org) does a  
                          Power Ranking. The current rankings, which are for the 2002-03 school  
                          year, came out in July ... SDSU was 18th in Division II ...

Their rating is computed using the Director's Cup (formerly Sears Cup),  
                          U.S.World and News Report ranking, and graduation rates ...

North Dakota State  was not in the top 25.  Matter of fact, no other  
                          NCC team was in the top 25.

The Director's Cup awards all-around sports programs ... SDSU was fifth  
                          in the 2003 year; finished ninth this year.

Graduation rates: the NCAA computes graduation rates based on six-year  
                          cycles ... so the current graduation rates,  for the SA's who started  
                          in 1997, just came out ...SDSU's student athletes have a 73 per cent  
                          graduation rate, which is 20 per cent above the student body average.

SDSU simply put has a well rounded athletic program which puts the  
                          emphasis on the student-athlete having success both as athletically and  
                          academically."

Like I said on the other thread, fantastic post thanks for sharing!  ;D

Go State!  

Comment

In an effort to keep things "neat and tidy" here are the links to the Brookings Register Stories (3 part series) that SDSUFAN posted on a different thread. Great post SDSUFAN!

A step forward: (Part I)

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...41&page=25

A higher level: (Part II)

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...44&page=25

Quest for a conference: (Part III)

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...46&page=25

Good stuff from the Register!

Go State! ;D

Comment

More rumbling from San Jose St regarding the future of football and the institution. Extremely long letter by the acting A.D., basically summarized by saying it looks like they will drop FB altogether at this point. Maybe not this year but probably by 2005 season. I-AA, the Great West Conf and the BSC are mentioned but he states that it doesn't seem feasible.

More likely, they will drop football and look to join the Big West opening a spot in the WAC. Would one of the current BSC teams want to step up to I-A football??

http://sanjosestate.theinsiders.com/2/286666.html

Comment

jackmd:
                                Wow this is a 12 page article when printed. I am going to reserve my comments until I can read through it and understand whats all going on.

As far as your question of a Big Sky school moving up to D1A and the WAC, the best candidate would be Montana, but with their financial problems that forced the AD to resign I dont see them doing anything about D1A real soon. I could be wrong, but what I picked up on Bisonville and egriz, Montana had a big loss on football despite filling their staduim of 23,000 for every game. It was indicated that some bookeeping errors were made, but I dont buy that one. Its about being honest with the numbers.

Just off the top my cursory reading of the San Jose State article, I can see were dropping down from D1A to D1AA does not save much money.

This article made me think of the Vince Lombardi biography that was out a few years back. Coach Lombardi played his football at Fordham in the 1930's when Fordham and NYU filled the Polo Grounds a 100,000 seat staduim. One of their opponents was St Mary's the team that dropped out of the Great West. The point is that Fordham has dropped to D1AA and probably has made the transition, but they are not playing at the Meadowland or any other big place in the Big Apple. I believe they now play in same league as Colgate, but have a football program.

I think SDSU has a long ways to go before we start thinking D1A football.

Comment

Working...
                                X