Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Jackrabbit hitch cover design/cost

Rabbit in Vermin
    When you get your plates, you need to get the type that allows for the decals. You then purchase the decals directly from the sponsoring organization. So if they decals aren't available when you renew, just get the plates and add the sticker later. The plate will start with an 'A" and be followed by four digits.
    A side benefit of these plates is that many police men think they are commercial plates and let you park in loading/unloading zones, if you leave your flashers on. This has saved me several minutes looking for a spot, although I've never pushed it very far (timewise). However, this benefit will cease as soon as I get my SDSU decal.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

An update on hitch covers and license plate decals:

Patrick,

I hope the hitchcover has arrived by now. We are grateful for the number of orders we have received and look forward to seeing the covers flying down the highways of South Dakota.

You may want to know that the license decals have been ordered. It is our understanding that 2005 will be the last year in the cycle for the non-profit plates. V.J. Smith doesn't think it is fair to sell the decals for one year and then turn around and have people buy a new decal for the next cycle (2006-2010).

It looks like the Alumni Association will sell the decals for $50. It will be good for six years. The decals should be available by the middle of November. If people want the new decal they would have to go to the county courthouse and order non-profit plates. After doing this, they will need to contact the Alumni Office to order the SDSU decals. Again, this program will begin (hopefully) by mid-November.

Just a note on the $50 charge. Some people might think it is too high. Let's use Northern State for example. They sell the decals for $20. Then they send out annual renewals requesting $10 per year. After five years you would pay $60. V.J. thinks people don't want to be bothered every year for a $10 renewal fee.

I hope you can share this information with your SDSU friends.

Jim Speirs

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

That sounds decent to me. That's the first I've heard of it. I think I will do it. Is it extra for the non-Profit plate?

Also my license tags are due in Nov. as well. If I get the new plate, will I keep it for 6 or only 1 year. When does that start.

Thanks,

Comment

It is extra for the nonprofit plates, but not very much (I can't remember how much). The tags will be for one year, in 2006 new plates will be issued. Not sure if there will be any way to transfer the decal from the current plates to the new ones.

Comment

Are the license plate decals available now? If not, does anyone know when they will be available? I assume that the license plates we buy after Jan. 1 are considered to be 06 plates as they expire in 06 and are therefore new plates. Is that correct?

Comment

Just got back from Christmas and had this update in the email. Rabbit74: it is my understanding that SD goes by the year purchased, not expires, so that in 2005 we will be getting new tags only, and in 2006 we will get new plates. Best bet is to check with at your county courthouse or the State DMV. Here is the message from Jim Spiers:

I am happy to report that we are fully “geared-up” to take SDSU license plate orders. You will see an ad in the next issue of STATE Magazine, after which I expect we will see many orders. The STATE plates will be a nice compliment to vehicles sporting SDSU hitch covers!

For now, you can view information regarding the plates on our web site: www.statealum.com.

The web page describes the process to purchase the SDSU decals from our office and how to obtain “organizational plates” from the state. Please note that a $10.00 fee will be charged above any standard motor vehicle registration fees. Before it was believed that certain renewals would not need to pay the $10.00 fee. I found out today that is not the case. Any person ordering organizational plates for the first time will be charged the $10.00 fee.

If alumni/friends have questions regarding the SD organizational plates, they will need to contact their county courthouse or the state division of motor vehicles. Beyond selling the decals, we have no authority in regards to the actual plates.

Also, the cost for 4 decals is $50.00. It is our purpose to supply 4 decals so alumni will have a 2nd set when the state likely issues new license plates next year.

I thought you would appreciate knowing this information Patrick. If you have any questions, let me know.

Best!

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X