Here comes the equestrian team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here comes the equestrian team

Nothing new here and the Argus skeptism is shown as usual. So what else is new in Sioux Falls? What sport does not cost money?

One thought that has crossed my mind is that some SDSU alums and friends of SDSU may have no time for athletics in general and would not give a plug nickel to the Jackrabbit Club. These same people may love horses and are involved in private riding clubs etc.

There is an opportunity for these types to step forward and help out with the costs. Lets hope that is the case as I do find the travel costs somewhat bothersome.

At this point in time you wonder where the off-setting revenue will come from. Will we be able to sell tickets to these events? We dont know that yet. We could be surprised with sell out crowds at the Sitel center.

Its amazing how love of horses is important to some people who hate football. I think we need to wait and see how this sport takes shape.

Although the costs as pointed out in the editorial are staggering, I still think its a great idea.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the athletic department has looked at all the cost to make sure it will work. I don't think they just pulled a sport out of a hat and decided to add it. Of all the sports mentioned for addtion, I feel equestrian fits our university best because of location, facilities, and participants available. When SDSU joins there will only be two spots to fill before a NC is created. If NDSU adds equestrian there will be only one spot left, so that's not a real legitimate concern either.

Comment

After reading the editorial I actual feel like the Argus is being fair. Skepticism is a normal part of any move/change. I think they made more favorable points than negative ones. Their biggest question (maybe only question) was how funding would be acquired.

Overall, I think we are already seeing some trend towards increased support of the move to DI. Maybe I'm wrong and seeing things through rose-colored glasses, but I think the Argus is trying to encourage support for the DI move (crazy as that sounds).
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I tend to agree that we have been getting more positive than negative vibes from the Argus as of late. I'm not saying we are getting a flat out endorsement of the move but I do think they are realizing they will have an opportunity to cover a new product never seen before in this state.

Comment

Now don't go getting all warm and fuzzy feeling about the Argus Leader! But, I think that there is a growing sentiment that the D-1 switch may be fun. It's certainly given people something to talk about and the supporters are starting to speak up in louder voices.

It's good for SDSU and the entire State. I think it will be an example of the power of positive thinking.

Go Jacks!

Comment

For those who thirst for equestrian knowledge, Kansas State has what you are thirsty for:

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArti...p;ATCLID=36990

What is Equestrian?  

Release: 05/03/2004    

IHSA website  

There are two rosters for an equestrian team, Western and English, and riders may compete in both divisions. When a rider in either division begins Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) competition, she starts with zero points. A point system is set up for both divisions that dictates the level at which a rider competes. The two divisions have different levels, but as a general rule, a rider advances to the next level of competition when she accumulates 35 points. A rider “points out” when she moves to the next level of competition. This may occur during a weekend of competition as riders compile points at each separate show. Also, some levels are broken down into subdivisions. A rider moves to the next subdivision after tallying 18 points. . . . 

Go State! ;D

Comment

Quick story from the Argus that includes our equestrian coach:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...90305/1005/ENT

Giddyup to the horse fair

published: 03/19/05

Wild horses couldn't drag equestrian fans away from the South Dakota Horse Fair, set for Saturday and Sunday in the Expo Building at W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds. There will be three arenas with activities throughout the two days, and all events are free to spectators.

Most exciting likely will be the Stallion Parades and the Breed Showcases. The Stallion Parades will be at 12:30 and 3 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 p.m. Sunday. The Breed Showcases will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

There also will be a trade show 9-5 p.m. Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday, plus activities for families, including horse trivia, 4-H horse judging and stick horse races both days.

The all-breed, regional exposition also features speakers, world champion ropers, international dressage riders and the coach of the South Dakota State University women's equestrian team.  .  .  .

I am sure all "horse people" at the show were impressed with Coach McGee and our program at State.

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D

Comment

Friday, I caught the KJJQ sports show. One of their guests was Coach McGee.  She sounded very upbeat about what has happen so far.  I am sure she will really get some mileage out of the State Fair Event.  The people who can and will support this sport are out there.  
                  The only other thing I recall mentioned during the radio show is that the events next fall will be held at the Swifttel Center, or the imfamous name of Multiplex Center. So not only will this sport be good for SDSU, it will help Brookings as well.

There used to be so many jokes about the City Council and how they built a white elephant called the Multiplex and later renamed Swiftel Center. Its interesting how these jokes are no longer being made about the Swiftel Center and I dont think there will be any about the sport of Equestrian being added after next fall. ;D

Comment

Working...
                  X