Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here comes the equestrian team

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    So I was listening to Craig and Mike this afternoon, on KWSN, and they were having a field day with our announcement that we added equestrian.  They have been making fun of it for almost the entire show.  More then once they said that the USD students were laughing at us.  So I sent them a little E-mail to let them know what I thought.  Here are the contents:
    Who can tell us more about Craig Mattick & Mike Henriksen (Craig & Mike from KWSN)? Where are they from? Their ages and their training, etc.. There is a real opportunity for them to use SDSU's move to DI to promote their show and increase exposure to major college sports in S.D.

Hard for me to understand why they would encourage the criticism noted above, unless it was just a bad attempt at humor. As I recall they have had some individuals related to the move to DI on their show (collegesportsinfo guy). Any how, any information would help us better understand where they are coming from and allow for even more pointed criticism if appropriate.

89 has gotten things off to a good stars. Lets see if Craig and Mike have the intelligents and courage to reply. They may simply think their too good to answer to a bunch of SDSU fans. Any info would be appreciated.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doc,

Here is a link to KWSN:

http://www.kwsn.com/stream.php

As you can see they are based in Sioux Falls. They have a sports talk format and are an ESPN affiliate.  I believe that KWSN is the voice of Augie (I could be wrong) I have only been listening since National Letter of Intent day.  

They both responded.  Craig was very nice and professional.  Mike has some issues with SDSU.  His E-mail was long and ranting, IMO.  He had a whole list of concerns that I offered to address if he really wanted to talk about them.  It may be too late for Mike, and I make a point of not debating "true believers" (Politics, Religion, SDSU's D-I move, etc.) as it is a waste of time for both parties.  We will see if he wants to trade ideas about this issue.  He sounds like a classic FES member.  During the braodcast I thought Craig was just going for laughs while Mike had an ax to grind.  Their responses confirmed my suspicions.  One other thing I learned is that Mike is an SDSU Dad (his kids are Staters).  So maybe sending all his $$$ to SDSU has effected his view.    What is that saying. . .My kids and my money went to SDSU, or something like that.  

If we do anything, I think it should be simple.  Let them know that many of their listeners are in favor of SDSU's move and that D-I sports in South Dakota are exciting.  Let them know that there are sports fans in the area that are not card carrying members of the FES.  They are in a business that is driven by listeners and I think they understand that.  They seem like good guys, and I think they will get on board as SDSU crosses more and more hurdles on our way to D-I success.  

Go State!

Comment

Agreed on all points. Being overly zealous or too critical of opponents of the move, only pushes doubters away. I suspect a lot of people are on the fence and as things like the 13 to 5 year waiting period, increased opportunity for in-state athletes and fans, and increased regional and national attention and exposure, as reflected in the FB and BB schedules, emerge more and more people will fall into the "in favor of the move" side. At least I hope so.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

89rabbit,
          what did mike have issues with, as a journalist or radio personality you would think he would try to put some personal bias' aside to promote his show in a positive light, especially since a good number of his listeners have SDSU ties. I listened to bits and pieces of the broadcast as well and somewhat got the same impression as you. It seemed that Scotty Kwas. was trying to provide the information about all of the title 9 improvements and the additions of equestrian but the hosts kept going back to equestrian. Some of it seemed to be in good fun and probably the same sort of stuff that most of us thought when we heard we were adding equestrian, but some of it went out of bounds. The show seems to be Sioux Falls biased which is probably all right since that is where they are based. Its too bad KJJQ or one of the brookings stations can't do a sports talk show for even an hour a day or once a week that would cover jacks sports and area high school stuff. It would be something that could do some of the justice that the Stig show used to do for football.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
            89rabbit,
            what did mike have issues with, as a journalist or radio personality you would think he would try to put some personal bias' aside to promote his show in a positive light, especially since a good number of his listeners have SDSU ties.  I listened to bits and pieces of the broadcast as well and somewhat got the same impression as you.  It seemed that Scotty Kwas. was trying to provide the information about all of the title 9 improvements and the additions of equestrian but the hosts kept going back to equestrian.  Some of it seemed to be in good fun and probably the same sort of stuff that most of us thought when we heard we were adding equestrian, but some of it went out of bounds.  The show seems to be Sioux Falls biased which is probably all right since that is where they are based.  Its too bad KJJQ or one of the brookings stations can't do a sports talk show for even an hour a day or once a week that would cover jacks sports and area high school stuff.  It would be something that could do some of the justice that the Stig show used to do for football.  
            It should go a step further. There needs to be a coaches show for Football and Basketball (men's and women's) on T.V. Best bet is KSFY given KELO's commitment to USD/Augie. We need to sponsor this ourselves or find someone to do so. It will expose more people to DI athletics earlier in the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
              89rabbit,
              what did mike have issues with, as a journalist or radio personality you would think he would try to put some personal bias' aside to promote his show in a positive light, especially since a good number of his listeners have SDSU ties.  I listened to bits and pieces of the broadcast as well and somewhat got the same impression as you.  It seemed that Scotty Kwas. was trying to provide the information about all of the title 9 improvements and the additions of equestrian but the hosts kept going back to equestrian.  Some of it seemed to be in good fun and probably the same sort of stuff that most of us thought when we heard we were adding equestrian, but some of it went out of bounds.  The show seems to be Sioux Falls biased which is probably all right since that is where they are based.  Its too bad KJJQ or one of the brookings stations can't do a sports talk show for even an hour a day or once a week that would cover jacks sports and area high school stuff.  It would be something that could do some of the justice that the Stig show used to do for football.  
              Jackrabbit1979,

I am not really comfortable sharing what Mike wrote me specifically.

However in a gereral sense, he has little faith that we will  be able to fund our plan, he has issues with the way the move has been and is being handeled, and he has issues with some of the personalities involved with our move.  Basically he is a FES member.

If you have listened to the show I think you get a sense of what I am talking about.  During the show Mike seemed in disbelief that we didn't make an announcement that we too were dropping baseball.  He asked Scotty twice if all we announced was that we are adding equestrian (like "were are the cuts"  ???  ).  I am sure that he thinks in the end we will be cutting some Men's sports.  Again just my opinion.  We are going to have to prove we can do it before Mike will be on board.  That is ok, but I hope he does remember that there are a lot of listeners in eastern South Dakota who love the Jackrabbits and want to see them succeed.

P.S.  Today they are doing a mock NFL draft with fantasy football guys, but Craig said they would be talking more about SDSU on Monday.  I encourage everyone to listen and if you feel they are out of bounds or are being unfair let them know.  Do so in a respectful and positive way and I think they will hear you.  Again, I think they are both good guys, they just may have different opinions on this issue that is important to us. Let them know that there is a Jackrabbit Nation out in Radioland that supports our move to D-I. They only stand to benefit from having a D-I School in their listening area, IMO.

http://www.kwsn.com/stream.php

Comment

I accused you of riding horses down to Omaha for the basketball game. Now I have proof. What's next??????
                Womens monopoly team? I would pay to see the womens twister team .  What will you hillbillies think of next?  Hell, at least have womens horse racing so you hillbillies can have something to bet on. Is lady godiva going to be on the equestrian team? That would be cool. Boy D1 looks like it is so much fun. You accuse us of being jealous all the time. I can honestly say I hope UNO never gets an equestrian team. (Giddy Up)
                89Rabbit save your Title IX excuses and please don't give me some obscure website that justifies riding around on horses jumping over puddles. Your softball and baseball teams are not D1 caliber. Both are behind UNO in the NCC standings. South Dakota is dropping baseball and they have a better record than you. Whats that tell you? Your mens basketball recruiting has been weak. Come on now, your elite D1 now, pick up the pace.
                Good bye or should I say NEIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maverick

Comment

Maverick, thanks for reminding me that Darwin theorized we descended from monkeys. Now, grab a bananna, scratch your ass, and climb a tree.

Comment

Bigjake,

Have you ever left Omaha?  You don't think folks in the Mid-West know how to ride horses.  Funny, I don't think of Kansas State, Oklahoma St, Georgia, and Fresno St. as schools from back east and they seem to do ok.  Also, their are two main disciplines in equestrian - English and Western (and we are not talking western Long Island), but I am sure you didn't know that.   Again, we might take you a little more serious if you actually did some research and knew what you were talking about before you started to type, but I doubt it.  :    Go play on the UNO board, oh wait I guess it would be hard to have a board when there are only two UNO grads who know how to use a computer (Bigjake and Maverick).  D-I envy is not a pretty thing.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Go State!

Comment

89Rabbitt

The only reason you have your own board is because D1AA football provided it for you. Quit acting like this is Bisonville or Sioux Sports or something. When they see how sorry your football team is going to be they might take it away from you. And for gods sake quit acting like your excited to have an equestrian team. Unless there is some hot chicks on the team who will really give a dam. I realize that there is not much to do in Brookings but even the hillbillies would have to be bored with that. I saw on the Great West messageboard people were asking for pictures of the respective schools football stadiums. Some one else had to put the picture up for you because you are ashamed of it. You know the glorified high school stadium with the trailer outside of it. You are going to have some rough years ahead. Hang on for the ride. Ol'Freddy boy will go on some rampages I'm sure.

Maverick

Comment

Mavericks#1,
                        Are you a high school kid? seriously? Why do you even care what happens on our board. We do not play in the same conference as you and we do not even share a like division anymore. SDSU may quite likely NEVER compete against you in anything anytime in the future. We were never even rivals in anything. Get a life.

Comment

Part of the difficulty in dealing with Title IX requirements is finding sports that requirement more than a dozen women and finding sports that women will participate in for four years. Some schools have added Crew (Maverick, to keep it simple for you: that's rowing a boat) with teams usually in the 25-30 range. Equestrian sounds like a good solution. The numbers can be large and I think participants will stick with it for four years.

Based on what a niece in Minneapolis is telling me, the Equestrian Team may tap into a huge number of girls who are into that stuff and live in this region.

I think SDSU may be getting in on the ground floor of something new in the midwest. That's a chance to establish a program right away.

Comment

"require" rather than "requirement" in the first line of my prior submission.....(does anyone proofread their e-mail and bulletin-board submisions? )

Comment

Some of SDSU's detractors scoff at the notion of an equestrian team. I don't understand this. SDSU is offering a new opportunity for young women. How can any reasonable person be against that?

Comment

Please do not feed the trolls.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X