Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here comes the equestrian team

Originally posted by Alumguy
    Some of SDSU's detractors scoff at the notion of an equestrian team.  I don't understand this.  SDSU is offering a new opportunity for young women.  How can any reasonable person be against that?  
    Amen, Brother!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
      Some of SDSU's detractors scoff at the notion of an equestrian team.  I don't understand this.  SDSU is offering a new opportunity for young women.  How can any reasonable person be against that?  
      Exactly, no reasonable person would be against it. We might poke a little fun at the idea, but we are not against it. Unfortunately, there are many people with little reason and most of them oppose the move to DI. Let them be heard just don't let them make a difference.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Georgia won the National Championship again this weekend in equestrian.

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArti...p;ATCLID=36577

Go State!

Comment

Will the fabulous trophy (the Magic Marker) for the NDSU-SDSU football game be a traveling trophy or will a new trophy be hand crafted annually. If a new trophy will be made every year and after the Rabbits accumulate 3 markers (approximately 2030 based on their recent success against the Bison), the equesterian team could use them for barrel racing.

Comment

Originally posted by goyotes
            Will the fabulous trophy (the Magic Marker) for the NDSU-SDSU football game be a traveling trophy or will a new trophy be hand crafted annually.  If a new trophy will be made every year and after the Rabbits accumulate 3 markers (approximately 2030 based on their recent success against the Bison), the equesterian team could use them for barrel racing.
            I am going to guess that this is a bad attempt at humor.  You can't be this stupid.  The trophy is a traveling trophy and there is no barrel racing in equestrian (that is Rodeo and SDSU has a great rodeo team as well).  My only question for you is how is the USD baseball team going to be next year.    Now that is funny!  ;D ;D ;D

Go State!

Comment

Well Craig and Mike sounded like they were going to pick up where they left off last Thursday.  Luckly Mark Ovenden was on for his weekly bit.  They still had some laughs, and that is ok, but Mark did focus the conversation and brought up some really good points.  My favorite one was Mark saying that is was good that SDSU was expanding and not cutting sports like USD did.  

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by goyotes
                Will the fabulous trophy (the Magic Marker) for the NDSU-SDSU football game be a traveling trophy or will a new trophy be hand crafted annually.  If a new trophy will be made every year and after the Rabbits accumulate 3 markers (approximately 2030 based on their recent success against the Bison), the equesterian team could use them for barrel racing.
                Actually, I quite like the nickname "The Magic Marker."

Thanks, Goyotes!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yes, That that is a good nickname for it. I look forward to playing for the "magic marker" every year. See... Yote fans are good for something!
                  Now usd just needs to come up with a good name for a trophy to mark the new rivalry with Upper Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    Well Craig and Mike sounded like they were going to pick up where they left off last Thursday.  Luckly Mark Ovenden was on for his weekly bit.  They still had some laughs, and that is ok, but Mark did focus the conversation and brought up some really good points.  My favorite one was Mark saying that is was good that SDSU was expanding and not cutting sports like USD did.  
                    Go State!
                    They did credit SDSU for expanding instead of contracting, but they were very doubtful. One of them mentioned that he didn't see how the numbers would work out considering we would have 90 scholarships for the men in 2010 and 63 would be going to football. Does anyone have the mandated scholarship plans through FY2010? They were mentioned in the equestrian press realease, and I thought they might be interesting to see to answer some of the scholarship questions.

Comment

Here is part of the Collegian story:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/20...p-674186.shtml

Equestrian sport added to lineup

By Jeremy Fugleberg

Published: Tuesday, April 27, 2004

SDSU will add equestrian as a women's sport next fall with competition to begin in fall 2005, said Athletic Director Fred Oien in a press conference Thursday.

The new horse sport was started partly for compliance with Title IX, which works toward gender equality in athletics. The equestrian sport will be housed at the Pegasus Equine Center just northeast of campus on the US Highway 14 bypass and Interstate 29. The program will cost $400,000 and will begin with five scholarships, go up to 10 in 2007 and reach 15 by fiscal year 2010. Oien said the average squad size will be around 60, with 30 participants competing starting in fall 2005. . . .

Go State!

Comment

Who the hell cares what Craig and Mike think. 20, 30 or 40 years from now they'll be dead and we'll still have an equestrian team.

Plus 50 years from now after we win a national championship they'll stil be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
                          Who the hell cares what Craig and Mike think.  20, 30 or 40 years from now they'll be dead and we'll still have an equestrian team.

Plus 50 years from now after we win a national championship they'll stil be dead.

Amen, its a shame that people like Mike can use the public airways to spread their misinformation and biased attitude. That being said, lets move on and not worry about Mike. If Mike's kids are involved at SDSU and are enjoying their stay, they are soon going to be a thorn in Mike's side. One of them may turn out to be as passionate as most of the posters on this board.

Comment

Great story in the Argus today (maybe Doc is right about Chris). Here is part of the story, it is kind of equestrian 101.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Fridayfeature.shtml

The equestrian alternative
                            Chris Solari
                            csolari@argusleader.com

published: 4/30/2004

Instead of cutting a men's sport to meet gender-equity standards,

South Dakota State University will offer an unusual opportunity for women.

University says sport fits in athletics, academics

Katie Morris tends to her chestnut brown quarter horse with utmost care. She rides Tiny Sunrise with power and grace.

By the time she is ready for college, the equine skills the Washington High School junior grew up learning for fun could land her a scholarship at South Dakota State University. When the university announced it was creating a varsity equestrian team, she took notice.

"My mom wants me to stay close to home," says Morris, 17, who displays her horseback skills in regional equestrian competition. "I was thinking SDSU, the University of Minnesota or Black Hills State. Now that they've started equestrian there, I'm leaning more toward SDSU."

That's the type of response school officials in Brookings hoped for when they decided, after four years of discussion, to add the sport. It's a step to help compliance with Title IX regulations requiring schools to offer athletic opportunities for men and women that reflect the gender ratio in enrollment. SDSU's program begins in fall 2005, which would be Morris' freshman year.

Equestrian is attractive to schools because it can have a roster of 50 to 100 women - one of few sports comparable in size to a men's football team. . . .

SDSU will give five scholarships for the sport in 2005 and hopes for three times that many by 2010. An average squad of 60 riders is expected, but the school wouldn't mind seeing more.

Athletic Director Fred Oien says the program will cost $400,000 to start, with money for new scholarships coming from the school's fund-raising campaign to move to Division I. The school's athletic budget, $4.3 million this year, is expected to increase to $6.8 million by 2008. . . .

Equestrian competition is not horse racing or rodeo. With a variety of jumps and related moves in managing a horse, it's a sport that rewards fluid motion in moving from a walk to a trot and a canter. Competitors are judged not so much for speed as for mastery of traditional skills of riding.

School officials hope it will add a unique stamp to an athletic department now joining the nation's largest universities in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

"South Dakota and Minnesota have significant horse populations," says Rob Peterson, assistant athletic director at SDSU. "In the long term, I think South Dakota State could become a major player in equestrian because there are not very many schools close to us that offer it."

SDSU's current equestrian club is part of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association, which formed in 1967 and has 300 schools and 7,000 riders. The university becomes the 38th school to promote the sport to varsity status, the 15th in NCAA Division I.

The NCAA does not yet offer a championship in equestrian. That will require 40 schools with varsity programs. Schools now compete for their own unsponsored title.

College equestrian differs from the Olympic version. While Olympians are judged solely on how their horses perform, collegiate riders are also judged on positioning and posture atop the horse and control of the animal.

Riders offer two styles in competition - English and Western. English involves more jumping of gates and obstacles. Western has a skill called reining, which tests a horse's speed and agility and a rider's ability to maneuver the animal.

"The NCAA is trying to have this be a continuation for those riders who do have the aspiration to go on to Olympic and international competition," says former Fresno State coach Megan McGee, a consultant for SDSU.

NCAA schools do not travel with horses. Host schools of competition provide the animals. Riders enter a blind draw to choose their horses, to keep things fair, with each participant using an unfamiliar animal.

Still, the team will need horses on campus so athletes can train. Oien says the optimal number is 30 to 35, with the university adding 10 to 12 a year. An SDSU graduate has offered to donate some animals. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                              Now usd just needs to come up with a good name for a trophy to mark the new rivalry with Upper Iowa.
                              Word is they are considering naming it the "Irrelevant Cup."

Man, somebody must have shook up the editorial staff at the Argus because they seem to have an SDSU-related article everytime I jump on the website.

Comment

No surprise, but the Argus Leader has weighed in on the equestrian team with an editorial this morning.

http://www.argusleader.com/editorial...yfeature.shtml

Equestrian gamble
                                Editorial Board
                                Argus Leader

published: 5/4/2004

SDSU might get exposure, gender equality with one new intercollegiate sport

Equestrian?

As nutty as the idea sounds, South Dakota State University just might have something.

SDSU athletic officials announced recently that as part of the school's move to Division I athletics, it would begin to sponsor a formal women's equestrian team, going beyond the current club competition, which is part of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association.

Many questions remain - among them cost, but we'll deal with that in a minute.

For now, let's look at what SDSU might gain from this.

Of course, the school had to add another women's sport or two, to comply with Title IX, the federal law that mandates equal opportunities for men and women, based on the percentages of each enrolled. Equestrian hardly was the only choice. Considered and rejected were ice hockey, skiing and crew (rowing).

"With South Dakota State being an ag school and a land grant institution, what better sport to add than equestrian?" asked Rob Peterson, assistant athletic director.

Good question. Of course, there are many land-grant colleges in the United States. Most don't offer equestrian teams. In fact, only 14 schools in the United States have Division I equestrian programs - and not all of those are land-grant institutions.

There aren't even enough schools with equestrian teams to qualify for an NCAA championship. The NCAA requires 40. There only are 37, not including SDSU.

But with rodeo and equestrian already as club sports, equestrian isn't that much of a stretch for SDSU - especially with the school's ag focus.

And equestrian offers something ice hockey and the other sports don't - room for plenty of participants, to balance men's sports. Officials estimate the equestrian team can accommodate as many as 100, with 60 being the average. That's a significant step toward Title IX compliance.

There's another aspect worthy of consideration. High-quality equestrian teams can be a stepping stone to the Olympics. With so few formal programs at Division I schools, SDSU immediately works its way into that loop.

And remember one of the goals of moving to Division I - publicity, to draw students from elsewhere in the country and to make SDSU a name known around the nation.

Students who participate in the Olympics can do that.

That small pool of schools, though, illustrates a key drawback - cost. Athletic Director Fred Oien says the initial cost will be $400,000 a year. But there will be additional scholarships and horses to take care of, as well as travel. The closest Division I school with an equestrian program is Kansas State University. The others are in Alabama, Rhode island, South Carolina, New York, New Hampshire, California, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Texas and Georgia.

Long trips. And long trips cost money. A lot of it.

Is $400,000 realistic? Maybe to begin the program, but down the road? Surely not.

Funding will be a part of the school's plans to increase the athletic budget from $4.3 million this year to $6.8 million by 2008 - from donations. It will have to be from donations, because SDSU has promised not to raise fees, and legislators surely would be reluctant to add funds for this.

So is this a good move? Maybe. We'll see when we learn how the fund-raising goes and whether SDSU can buck the national trend of red ink in Division I athletic budgets.

The whole Division I move is filled with such questions and doubts, but the decisions have been made. The goal now: Find a way to make it work.

Done right, an equestrian team could give SDSU the exposure it craves. It also could be just one part of a house of cards.

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X