• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mid-Con Ivite speculation

http://www.gojacks.com/
    Press release under news at state at SDSU homepage

SDSU announces Thursday media conference
    South Dakota State University officials will hold a media conference today to discuss the future of the Jackrabbit athletics program.

The media conference is set to begin at 1 p.m. in the Volstorff Ballroom of the University Student Union.

The conference can be heard live on both Depot Radio 910 AM and WNAX 570 AM, as well as streamed on the Internet.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

North Dakota State University accepts invitation to join Mid-Continent Conference

ELMHURST, ILL. — North Dakota State University (NDSU) has accepted an invitation to become a member of the Mid-Continent Conference, Commissioner Tom Douple announced today at a press conference on the NDSU campus in Fargo, N.D. North Dakota State will begin league competition in the 2007-08 academic year, and will be immediately eligible to compete for conference championships.

“The Mid-Continent Conference is pleased to invite North Dakota State University as a member of the conference,” Douple said. “NDSU will make the Mid-Con a better conference, and we are extremely excited to include this great institution in our conference.”

The Mid-Con Presidents Council voted unanimously on August 30 to extend an invitation for membership to North Dakota State, which formally accepted the invitation at the press conference this afternoon. The level of excitement on campus tied in with this announcement has not been seen for some time.

“NDSU’s sports programs readily complement those in the Mid-Continent Conference,” Douple said. “They are a good fit and we look forward to an enduring relationship with these athletic competitors.”

NDSU offers programs in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, football, men’s and women’s golf, women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field, women’s volleyball, and wrestling. Of those sports, football and wrestling are currently not sponsored by the Mid-Con.

“NDSU is committed to having a strong NCAA Division I athletics program,” Douple said. “The alumni, community and fans will enjoy the Mid-Continent Conference competition, in which I believe NDSU will be a very competitive member.”

Dr. Al Goldfarb, President of Western Illinois University and Chair of the Mid-Con Presidents Council, backed Douple’s thoughts.

“NDSU is an outstanding addition to the Mid-Continent Conference,” Goldfarb said. “It has a rich tradition of athletic and academic success and has demonstrated a financial commitment with strong support campus-wide, a community with high interest and loyal alumni and boosters.”

NDSU, with the support of its 10,496 undergraduate students, as well as the rest of the campus community, has transformed itself into a model contemporary land-grant research institution. That support extends to the athletics programs, which recently earned reclassification from NCAA Division II to NCAA Division I, and it was that support that solidified the opinions of the league’s presidents and made the vote to extend membership to NDSU a unanimous decision.

“NDSU is a quality institution,” said Dr. Richard Roberts, President of Oral Roberts University and a member of the site visit team. “They have made the right decisions, they are doing things the right way, and will make an outstanding member of the Mid-Continent Conference.”

“The addition of NDSU will certainly enhance both the long-term stability and the overall strength of the Mid-Continent Conference,” said Dr. Tim Van Alstine, Athletics Director at Western Illinois University and Chair of the Mid-Con Joint Council. “The institution’s support for continuing upgrades in its athletic programs will position NDSU to be competitive in the Mid-Continent Conference and at the Division I level.”

“The review of NDSU during the expansion process by the conference was the most intensive and far-reaching study for prospective membership in conference history,” Douple said. “We visited with more than 150 constituents ranging from administrators and faculty members to students and community leaders. I was impressed by the high level of commitment to the conference that was expressed by all involved.”

TRANSACTIONS: Mid-Continent Conference --- Announced that North Dakota State University will join the conference effective July 1, 2007.

Comment

From the Associated Press:

SDSU to join Mid-Con conference

BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) - South Dakota State University has
        scheduled an announcement for this afternoon to say it is joining
        the Mid-Continent Conference as of the 2007-2008 school year.
        The Mid-Con has 19 sports for men and women, though not football
        or wrestling.
        Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne accepted an invitation to join the
        league yesterday.
        North Dakota State also is joining the conference.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Seem like a good day to give a little extra to the Jackrabbit Club. I'll be making my contribution to help mark this historic event. Looking forward to attending my first Mid-Con conference game next fall.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Congratulations to the Rabbits!!!! I sure wish all this celebrating was to welcome you all into the Sky, but alas our inept conference couldn't get it's sh-- together. Glad to see you have a home for all your other sports and here's hoping for some OOC matchups between MSU and SDSU in near future in all sports.

Comment

and soon we will see a massive flood of fans who said they were supporting us all along.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                and soon we will see a massive flood of fans who said they were supporting us all along.

I'm looking forward to hearing Mike and Craig reaction to the news.  I wonder what the odds of Mike H.  posting congrats are. :

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                  This may have been posted somewhere else but the front page of the Argus paper edition has a story that I can't find on line. Press conference scheduled at 1:00 pm in Volstroff Ballroom.

Perhaps this article by Stu is the one to which you refer:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...608310340/1002

Comment

Here is a link to the broadcast section of Go Jacks so we can all listen live to this historic news! 8-)

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      Not sure if that was directed at me and my previous comment, if so it is misguided. I have been a longtime hopeful that somehow SDSU and NDSU would find their way into the Sky. Both institutions are much more closely aligned with the type of school that MSU and UM are (flagship universities in their state with solid fan/booster/alumni backing) as opposed to some of the commuter type institutions we have in the Sky now with lagging support. I am very happy to see SDSU find a home, just wish it had been in the Sky.

Comment

kmax,

Here in SD we have been bombarded by non-forward thinkers who are only happy with the status quo. When SDSU made the announcement to go DI some haters went as far as proposing legislation against it. We were told constantly it was a fools folly. Now we fully expect some of the haters and doubters to come out on our side. As far as I'm concerned come aboard the bandwagon there is room for plenty more. Just be sure your check is made out to the Jackrabbit club!

Comment

kmax,

I don't think there is any ill will directed at you at all.  At least I hope not.

Thanks for the support.  With a conference home the SDSU schedule should become much more stable and much more manageble.  Let's hope that we can establish a good inter-conference rivalry between SDSU and MSU over the next few years.  You have already listed good reasons for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                            kmax,

Here in SD we have been bombarded by non-forward thinkers who are only happy with the status quo. When SDSU made the announcement to go DI some haters went as far as proposing legislation against it. We were told constantly it was a fools folly. Now we fully expect some of the haters and doubters to come out on our side. As far as I'm concerned come aboard the bandwagon there is room for plenty more. Just be sure your check is made out to the Jackrabbit club!
                            Yep, I have known/read/heard about all of the problems you guys (and the Bison) faced in the move up, just wasn't sure if bluehatman was lumping me into that type of group. It's absolutely ridulous, again as a flagship institution you guys belong in DI, and I am glad your administration could see that as well. Hopefully with a conference to call home, all of the naysayers will be shut up for good.

Comment

Bluehatman,

Yes, you wore the Blue hat to the press conference, but what happened to the blue and yellow that everyone was supposed to wear the rest of the week. The biggest press conference in school history and you wore Illinois colors. Come on, be true fanatic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                                Bluehatman,

Yes, you wore the Blue hat to the press conference, but what happened to the blue and yellow that everyone was supposed to wear the rest of the week. The biggest press conference in school history and you wore Illinois colors. Come on, be true fanatic.

I have to agree! Love the hat! Bring the rest of the color!

One thing we all know, is that bluehatman will bring the goods on game day!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X