Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Jackrabbit Logo

Originally posted by Thumper
    I think it is truly great that everyone has a passion for the new jackrabbit logo.  In addition, I think it is equally great that the Collegian and students continue to voice their suggestions/concerns/opinions.  In this instance, the Collegian may have got the cart out in front of the horse...the best analogy I could come up with?!  My guess is the reason the committee is unwilling to share the rabbit logo renderings and variations is that they do not for lack of a better word 'own' the images....thus sharing these would lead to publishing....not the desired result.  Again, my guess is that the design company still has proprietary rights over all the designs until one is chosen.  Hopefully in the future, journalistic fever can be remedied by a cold towel, a little research and some patience and trust in whomever is making the decision.  As you can tell from my ranting....frustrating article to read.  

Hope to see everyone at the game on Saturday....GO JACKS!
    That certainly could be part of it. But I think the main problem is that the bunny is not done. The logo in the Collegian looks very much like an early version I saw last year. I know they're trying to skinny-up the rabbit and they're still settling on color (surely color is something people might want to wait on before they make a judgment.)
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think the rabbit should be all white with black tips on the ears just like in winter. Just my input.

Comment

I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

http://www.freewebs.com/unitedbball/rabbit.htm

It's pretty rough, but should be able to give a good feel for what it might look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Rabbit
          I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

It's pretty rough, but should be able to give a good feel for what it might look like.
          It **does** look better in color, IMHO. I'd still like to see it in a more complete logo format, combined with some other graphic elements before deciding if I like it or not. Right now it's just a picture of a rabbit, it's not (I hope) a finished logo.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Rabbit

Well done, Jack Rabbit. That's much more like what I have seen. The logos I saw included the words:

South Dakota State
            Jackrabbits

under the logo in a very distinctive font. Some included a cool "swoosh" with the bunny sort of emerging from it (I heard it referred to as the "SwooshBunny&quot that would look cool, for example, on a football helmet.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
              [quote author=Jack Rabbit link=1160660665/75#77 date=1170352758]I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

Well done, Jack Rabbit. That's much more like what I have seen. The logos I saw included the words:

South Dakota State
              Jackrabbits

under the logo in a very distinctive font. Some included a cool "swoosh" with the bunny sort of emerging from it (I heard it referred to as the "SwooshBunny&quot that would look cool, for example, on a football helmet.[/quote]
              I've also seen this "SwooshBunny" in color you are referring to and I would have to strongly disagree it would look good on our football helmets. The stretch SD that we have now would look better and will likely look better than any Jackrabbit logo they come up with. If I'm proven wrong in the future, then I think we'll all be happy.

Using the stretch SD as a benchmark for the future Jackrabbit logo is probably the best way to compare. For me, if I would prefer to see the new Jackrabbit logo on a t-shirt versus the stretch SD...a job well done by the logo committee.

Comment

I would have to say no matter how cool it looks the SD will be the best bet for helmets, the only place i could see putting a logo of a rabbit that wouldnt look bad would be a small one in the middle of the name area on the back of the jersey. frankly i think the rabbit should stay as it is. its been good enough for plently of years and i think its unique to have a logo and a mascot that no one else has. why would we want to change it to look more like everyone elses logo.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                  [quote author=JimmyJack link=1160660665/75#79 date=1170357917][quote author=Jack Rabbit link=1160660665/75#77 date=1170352758]I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

South Dakota State
                  Jackrabbits

under the logo in a very distinctive font. Some included a cool "swoosh" with the bunny sort of emerging from it (I heard it referred to as the "SwooshBunny&quot that would look cool, for example, on a football helmet.[/quote]
                  I've also seen this "SwooshBunny" in color you are referring to and I would have to strongly disagree it would look good on our football helmets. The stretch SD that we have now would look better and will likely look better than any Jackrabbit logo they come up with. If I'm proven wrong in the future, then I think we'll all be happy.

Using the stretch SD as a benchmark for the future Jackrabbit logo is probably the best way to compare. For me, if I would prefer to see the new Jackrabbit logo on a t-shirt versus the stretch SD...a job well done by the logo committee.
                  [/quote]

Of course that's just an opinion. Strongly disagree if you must. Neither of us will be making that decision.

From where I stand, the stretch SD is ok. Of course we're not "South Dakota", we're South Dakota State and the stretch SD could easily be mistaken for just South Dakota. One of the goals in this redesign is to assure we're not confused with anybody else, be it San Diego State or USD.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                    I would have to say no matter how cool it looks the SD will be the best bet for helmets, the only place i could see putting a logo of a rabbit that wouldnt look bad would be a small one in the middle of the name area on the back of the jersey. frankly i think the rabbit should stay as it is. its been good enough for plently of years and i think its unique to have a logo and a mascot that no one else has. why would we want to change it to look more like everyone elses logo.

The current rabbit is a copyright infringement case waiting to happen. We have permission to use it (from Time Warner, owners of Bugs) but in a limited way. We can't keep the current bunny.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

One thing that i think is going for is is "STATE" not many schools or logos use the word STATE i would be all for pushing to increase the use of the word state to refer to SDSU. When people think of the U, they think of several different colleges that call them selfs the U, minnesota, kentucky, miami. etc. but few call them selves state. if some one asked you whwere did you go to school and you say the U people ask which one, well if some one asked us and we were like STATE and they were like SDSU. I think that would also be unique to go by.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

[quote author=goon link=1160660665/75#81 date=1170360253]I would have to say no matter how cool it looks the SD will be the best bet for helmets, the only place i could see putting a logo of a rabbit that wouldnt look bad would be a small one in the middle of the name area on the back of the jersey. frankly i think the rabbit should stay as it is.  its been good enough for plently of years and i think its unique to have a logo and a mascot that no one else has.  why would we want to change it to look more like everyone elses logo.  

The current rabbit is a copyright infringement case waiting to happen. We have permission to use it (from Time Warner, owners of Bugs) but in a limited way. We can't keep the current bunny.[/quote]

If we have to make changes i would only make changes for it so we wouldnt get apparently sued. Isnt there a law that says something to the effect that. lets say you own a field, and you know a person walks across that field every day for 50 years and after 50 years you want to stop them or build a fence. you cant because you have allowed over time people to walk throught it. but say if instead of 50 years it was like 5 days. there would be no precidence set for allowing them to use walk across your field. thats my example, now switch that around with a rabbit logo that look s like bugs bunny, might a judge say sense they never had a problem with us using or rabbit logo before that you should have no reason to want stop them from using it now. maybe im just making it up but i thought there was something along those lines.

Comment

The current rabbit is a copyright infringement case waiting to happen. We have permission to use it (from Time Warner, owners of Bugs) but in a limited way. We can't keep the current bunny.

Are you sure about that?  I had always heard that or motivation was a lack of trademark protection outside of South Dakota.  I understand that USD had potential copyright infringement issues and thus their motivation to change.   I have never heard that Time Warner had given us permission to use our rabbit, it could be true and I am just not up to date, so that is the reason that I ask "are you sure?".

Go State!  

Comment

[quote author=BTownJack link=1160660665/75#80 date=1170358663][quote author=JimmyJack link=1160660665/75#79 date=1170357917][quote author=Jack Rabbit link=1160660665/75#77 date=1170352758]I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

South Dakota State
                            Jackrabbits

I've also seen this "SwooshBunny" in color you are referring to and I would have to strongly disagree it would look good on our football helmets.   The stretch SD that we have now would look better and will likely look better than any Jackrabbit logo they come up with.  If I'm proven wrong in the future, then I think we'll all be happy.  

Using the stretch SD as a benchmark for the future Jackrabbit logo is probably the best way to compare.  For me, if I would prefer to see the new Jackrabbit logo on a t-shirt versus the stretch SD...a job well done by the logo committee.  
                            [/quote]

Of course that's just an opinion. Strongly disagree if you must. Neither of us will be making that decision.

From where I stand, the stretch SD is ok. Of course we're not "South Dakota", we're South Dakota State and the stretch SD could easily be mistaken for just South Dakota. One of the goals in this redesign is to assure we're not confused with anybody else, be it San Diego State or USD.[/quote]
                            Considering the color scheme of our stretch SD, I'm confident very few people are going to confuse our stretch SD with just "South Dakota." Again, that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                              [quote author=JimmyJack link=1160660665/75#82 date=1170360253][quote author=BTownJack link=1160660665/75#80 date=1170358663][quote author=JimmyJack link=1160660665/75#79 date=1170357917][quote author=Jack Rabbit link=1160660665/75#77 date=1170352758]I tried drawing up the rabbit quick using the photo from the collegian to see what the logo would look like in color.

South Dakota State
                              Jackrabbits

[/quote]

From where I stand, the stretch SD is ok. Of course we're not "South Dakota", we're South Dakota State and the stretch SD could easily be mistaken for just South Dakota. One of the goals in this redesign is to assure we're not confused with anybody else, be it San Diego State or USD.[/quote]
                              Considering the color scheme of our stretch SD, I'm confident very few people are going to confuse our stretch SD with just "South Dakota." Again, that is just my opinion.[/quote]

So you're saying it's common knowlege throughout the United States that SDSU's colors are yellow and blue and USD is red and white? Gosh, why do we even need a new logo if people confronted with a yellow and blue interlocked SD know instantly that it's SDSU (and not the other SDSU) but our SDSU and of course it's not USD. And it's not some San Diego team at all, whether its the non-scholarship one or the huge state university one. Sorry for the sarcasm, but you're dreaming if you think the color of our SD removes all doubt as to which university in whatever SD it represents. My father-in-law from the east coast (an avid sports fan) confuses USD and SDSU and my wife and I LIVE in Brookings and have sent him SDSU memorabilia.

SDSU (our SDSU) is little known outside of our region. Anything we do to confuse the issue (stretch SD, refer to ourselves as SDSU, etc.) is really not all that helpful. The Jackrabbit, on the other hand, is a completely unique mascot. Want people to remember our SDSU? Get them thinking South Dakota State and Jackrabbit, not SDSU and certainly NOT just SD.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The main problem with SDSU's identification is the fact that the school isn't branded very well. There are too many different logos. Typically university's have two logos, the school logo which is used more for academics (ours is the camp o'neal) and a main logo that has text and image. All the other logos come off from the main logo and could include subtle changes such as just text, or just image, or just the head of the animal. Currently it seems that sdsu has a diffferent logo for each sport. The stretched SD is absolutly horrible from a graphic design stand point and it has to go. I like the fact that with the new logo they are trying to remodel the old logo, which is I believe is the current x-country logo. This gives it a tie-in to some history of SDSU. I also wonder who is on the new logo commity and if any of the visual arts department, more specifically the two graphic design teachers, have any input. It would have been nice to have the senior graphic design students have first crack at redesigning the logo since they know more about being a jackrabbit than some designer from New York.

Comment

Working...
                                X