The Jackrabbit Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Jackrabbit Logo

I don't need no stinkin' sissy rabbit. First not playing USD because someone takes a dump in the locker and now this. South Dakota has gotten too civilized since I moved away.

How about this one?....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...3/rabbeast.jpg

There was a proper mean-ass rabbit on sweatshirts sold in the book store in the mid-sixties. Had fangs and looked like a cartoon bulldog with rabbit ears. Find some old timer with a closet full of clothes.

Comment

How about this one... Look at the bones!

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
        I don't need no stinkin' sissy rabbit.  First not playing USD because someone takes a dump in the locker and now this.  South Dakota has gotten too civilized since I moved away.

How about this one?....

There was a proper mean-ass rabbit on sweatshirts sold in the book store in the mid-sixties.  Had fangs and looked like a cartoon bulldog with rabbit ears.  Find some old timer with a closet full of clothes.  
        Now that's a mean looking rabbit...I think I wet my pants a little when I opened it. :-[  Good thing it's casual dress Friday!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

How about this one?    

Put a little fear in em.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

I think I agree with JimmyJack on most of his points regarding the new logo. The issue of trademark infringement is something that needs to be addressed, and I think the sooner the better. I don't know a lot about trademark law, but I seem to remember something about whether the two could be easily confused by someone. I think the answer is yes, so we need a change.

As for whether or not the paper should have printed the photo, I think yes. If the sample is not close to being finished, as some have suggested, why did they put it out for public viewing? It was public, the Collegian reported news that, based on board response, most people think is something of importance to SDSU. I think that is exactly what the paper should have done. To ignore it would have been poor journalism. For committee members to then complain well it wasn't a good picture should look at themselves and realize it was their own choice. If you are putting out for public viewing, expect the public to view it. Give the paper the version in a format you feel is fair of where you are at in the process and if the collegian doesn't use it, then blame the paper. As I look at it, the poor decision making process was used by the committee, not the Collegian.

I will admit that I did not like the rabbit in the photo as it looked more like a cottontail than a jackrabbit. I thought the color version posted by someone (sorry I can't remember who) was better. However, if it is close to the final version, there should be nothing wrong with people stating it is a bad choice. If it is not, then supporters of this version may be screaming just as loud when the final version does come out.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
              [quote author=Grizzled Jack link=1160660665/105#105 date=1170436660]I don't need no stinkin' sissy rabbit.  First not playing USD because someone takes a dump in the locker and now this.  South Dakota has gotten too civilized since I moved away.

How about this one?....

There was a proper mean-ass rabbit on sweatshirts sold in the book store in the mid-sixties.  Had fangs and looked like a cartoon bulldog with rabbit ears.  Find some old timer with a closet full of clothes.  
              Now that's a mean looking rabbit...I think I wet my pants a little when I opened it. :-[  Good thing it's casual dress Friday!!
              [/quote]

a deranged rabbit hovering over his fresh kill of carrots.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Wow, quite the hot topic lately.

I'm just waiting for the final verdict, but I guess that's what boards like this are for so here's my 2:

Sleek? yes. Bulging muscles on short stubby rabbit legs? No.

I'll wait till it's unvieled on the merchandise and then B&M when I don't like it

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  Just for fun here are a couple of pics of White Tailed Jackrabbits:

Go State!  

I kind of like that second rabbit pic. Kind of got "The Rock" eyebrow raised and shows some attitude!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                    I think I agree with JimmyJack on most of his points regarding the new logo. The issue of trademark infringement is something that needs to be addressed, and I think the sooner the better. I don't know a lot about trademark law, but I seem to remember something about whether the two could be easily confused by someone. I think the answer is yes, so we need a change.

As for whether or not the paper should have printed the photo, I think yes. If the sample is not close to being finished, as some have suggested, why did they put it out for public viewing? It was public, the Collegian reported news that, based on board response, most people think is something of importance to SDSU. I think that is exactly what the paper should have done. To ignore it would have been poor journalism. For committee members to then complain well it wasn't a good picture should look at themselves and realize it was their own choice. If you are putting out for public viewing, expect the public to view it. Give the paper the version in a format you feel is fair of where you are at in the process and if the collegian doesn't use it, then blame the paper. As I look at it, the poor decision making process was used by the committee, not the Collegian.

I will admit that I did not like the rabbit in the photo as it looked more like a cottontail than a jackrabbit. I thought the color version posted by someone (sorry I can't remember who) was better. However, if it is close to the final version, there should be nothing wrong with people stating it is a bad choice. If it is not, then supporters of this version may be screaming just as loud when the final version does come out.
                    If the mascot pictured in the Collegian is even close to what will be unveiled ... good God, how awful. Certainly a college art student could have done better to say nothing of a Brookings or South Dakota design/marketing firm. I realize color and script need to be added, but that was amazingly bad. I understand the need for a change. It presents a great opportunity to update our look, which is great. But the rabbit in the Collegian looked like a logo for, oh the 1950s, perhaps. The stretch SD is better by a mile. I have to be honest, I showed it to several people and the looks on their faces said it all. We can and need to do much better. And I guess I have to give props to the Collegian for publishing the picture. There's no reason the selection of a new mascot can't be a more open process with a few different versions made public to get input. To do anything else is really silly and petty. Here's hoping we wind up with something better than what's being discussed. Please, God, I beg you.

Comment

Sounds to me like the logo committee www.sdsucollegian.com/media/storage/paper484/news/2007/02/07/News/Logo-Firm.To.Get.more.Direction-2703674.shtml?sourcedomain=www.sdsucollegian.com&a mp;MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com&mkey=712 181]told the design company to try again[/url] . . . .

The Jackrabbit logo committee will meet this week to discuss the future of SDSU's new athletic logo, a week after a copy of the latest proposed version appeared in The Collegian.

"I don't know if we will have any new designs in hand or not," said University Relations Director Jenny Crickard, liaison between the committee and Phoenix Design Works of New York City.

"I was hopeful that we would, but I think (the committee) needs to give the design company more direction in what they are looking for before the new designs will be completed. That is at their request at this point," she said in an e-mail.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What ever they do, I just hope they get their $10,000 worth.

Comment

Word I have is that the committee is looking for a "wow factor" for any new logo before making a change.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                            Word I have is that the committee is looking for a "wow factor" for any new logo before making a change.
                            I said wow when i saw the pic of the frist drawing. I'm guessing that it wasn't the wow they were looking for.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The SDSU Collegian is running a poll in their website in case any one is interested in seeing the results. But I will be the first to question its validity.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/poll/in...layPollResults
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

More logo ideas popping up on the Collegian website from another, Brandon-based firm.  Quite an improvement, I'd say.  

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...mp;mkey=564329

Comment

Working...
                                X