Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Hobo Week

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    The Yellow and Blue goes back to 1912. Written by the agronimist N.A. Hansen.

Ring the Bell did not appear before 1955 or there abouts. Ring the Bell is a newbie in my mind.
    The "Yellow and Blue" is the School Song. "Ring the Bells" is the fight song. According to the book "The College on the Hill", "Bells" came about in 1959. Another little-known fact is that SDSU took the tune for Ring The Bells from the University of Chicago's fight song. Apparently they didn't need it any more.

"The College on the Hill" also memorializes for posterity what it calls "SDSU's unofficial college song:" "Far Across The Plains"--sung to the tune of Cornell's alma mater (the same tune used, amusingly enough for somebody who lives in Kansas City, by the University of Kansas for their alma mater as well). "Plains" has, sadly, become somewhat politically incorrect in recent years.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      The Yellow and Blue goes back to 1912. Written by the agronimist N.A. Hansen.

Ring the Bell did not appear before 1955 or there abouts. Ring the Bell is a newbie in my mind.
      Here is the link if you are interested in reading the words (the entire song) for both our alma mater and our fight song:

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1822

You may also listen at this link. The alma mater, of which we only use the final four lines (twice), is sung by the SDSU choir on this site. The fight song is played by the Pride of the Dakotas.

As an unrelated aside, the song that we sing with great reverence, "Far Across the Plains . . ." is actually "Far Above Cayuga's Waters" from Cornell University. It has also been adapted as the alma mater for the University of Kansas. Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVgk_ToE2UM
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

All the old guys here better stay away from caseys gas stations. They have hobo days painted on the windows. The nerve.

Also for chicago wasn't there song wave the flag for old chicago.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          The "Yellow and Blue" is the School Song. "Ring the Bells" is the fight song. According to the book "The College on the Hill", "Bells" came about in 1959. Another little-known fact is that SDSU took the tune for Ring The Bells from the University of Chicago's fight song. Apparently they didn't need it any more.

"The College on the Hill" also memorializes for posterity what it calls "SDSU's unofficial college song:" "Far Across The Plains"--sung to the tune of Cornell's alma mater (the same tune used, amusingly enough for somebody who lives in Kansas City, by the University of Kansas for their alma mater as well). "Plains" has, sadly, become somewhat politically incorrect in recent years.
          Learn something new every day. There is a fight song and a school song. It is easy to assume they are one of the same. I do recall a home game in I suppose late 1950's where they were teaching the crowd the words to Ring the Bell. It was a brand new concept with PA guy giving instructions such as to turn to page such and such of your program. The band played the music and we all followed along. Up to that point in time there was only the Yellow and Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            All the old guys here better stay away from caseys gas stations. They have hobo days painted on the windows. The nerve.

Also for chicago wasn't there song wave the flag for old chicago.
            Yes I believe it was Wave the Flag. Also U of Chicago dropped football during WW11 and the staduim became a research lab for the atomic bomb. U of Chicago has been somewhat of an academic snob and never had time for sports so stealing the melody of the song was hardly missed, plus an Alum of SDSU wrote the words for Ring the Bell.

Comment

Working...
            X