Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Hobo Week

Originally posted by HARE1 View Post
    Has anyone else 'buried' the razor for the weekend? I really wish some of the old traditions from the last 99 years would make a rebound.
    I havent shaved in years, so I guess I did. beard is getting pretty full too. Things like hair cuts and trimming beards apparently are to much work after you have a baby. So if the weather is cruddy atleast my face is well protected.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I consulted the card: it's Hobo Day because otherwise it doesn't sound right to state "It's the biggest one-day celebration...."

Comment

If you can't handle partying for an entire week, it's Hobo Day.

If you can, it's Hobo Days!

Sadly, I've been calling it "Hobo Day" the last few years.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I remember the little skit they did, acting out the burial of the razor early in the football season way back when. That was a fun tradition.
          This used to be a real big deal at the first home game, Blue Key members would dress up in caps and gowns and some would ride in the Bummobile and the others would follow along to the one end zone, where the razor would be hung and then shot by a firing squad and then given a proper burial. No more shaving until after the Hobo Day game. Yes it was a big deal in the 1950s and probably lasted a few more decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            If you can't handle partying for an entire week, it's Hobo Day.

If you can, it's Hobo Days!

Sadly, I've been calling it "Hobo Day" the last few years.
            Wrong again. If you think the Rabbits before you couldn't get after it you are sadly mistaken and for 99 years it was and is Hobo Week and Hobo Day.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              Wrong again. If you think the Rabbits before you couldn't get after it you are sadly mistaken and for 99 years it was and is Hobo Week and Hobo Day.
              I know Rabbits before me that can still "get after it", I was merely making an attempt at humor.

As far as calling it Hobo Day/Week vs. Hobo Days, most SDSU students I knew referred to homecoming as Hobo Days in the early/mid 2000's, because they celebrated on multiple days leading up to the official day.

Hobo Day/Week is technically the name for SDSU's homecoming, not Hobo Days...

...but then again, I have a friend who is technically named Jonathan, but everyone calls him John.
              Last edited by Kemo; 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

I can think of other things to get our panties in a bunch over more then if people put an "s" on the end of Day for our homecoming. Frankly, Days sounds more fun to me. I guess try to keep the tradition that we have but there have been many traditions that end that a lot of people dont seem to care about. I guess I wont lose sleep over the fact that people say days.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Sorry kids it is Hobo Day. Has been since 1912. Don't care what you think is cool or what your friends think.

Enjoy the history lesson:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/sports/a...,5177130.story

Comment

And the school colors are YELLOW (not "gold") and BLUE and the last word of first verse of the National Anthem is "brave" and . . . AND STAY OFF MY LAWN, WHIPPERSNAPPERS111!!!11
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sorry kids it is Hobo Day. Has been since 1912. Don't care what you think is cool or what your friends think.

I love that 1952 photo. Note the uniforms worn by SDSU. Three Chicago Bear type stripes on the arms and pants split colors yellow and blue. No face masks and visiting team wore dark colors. Times do change, but its still Hobo Day.

Comment

Happy Hobo Days!
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Happy Hobo Days!
                          I like to think that saying Days shows respect to the previous years of hobo days. Like if you put an apostrophe or something it changes the meaning right? Maybe the grammar police can help, but if we say Happy Hobo Days’ just think we are referring to years gone by as a sign of respect. Like plural or many so it is ok to add the “S” if there is an apostrophe at the end.

In my defense I googled and it made me even more confused.

Anyways, Happy Day of the Hobo.

Comment

I have been thinking about Hobo Day all week.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              And the school colors are YELLOW (not "gold") and BLUE and the last word of first verse of the National Anthem is "brave" and . . . AND STAY OFF MY LAWN, WHIPPERSNAPPERS111!!!11
                              Is that why one of the two school songs is The Yellow and the Blue?
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                                Is that why one of the two school songs is The Yellow and the Blue?
                                The Yellow and Blue goes back to 1912. Written by the agronimist N.A. Hansen.

Ring the Bell did not appear before 1955 or there abouts. Ring the Bell is a newbie in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X