Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Wasn't there a kid out in the Pacific Northwest somewhere we had speculated on earlier but have not seen commit yet? ‍♂️
    James Rawley, I keep seeing him interact with the coaches on Twitter but he is highly sought after so I wouldn't blame him for keeping his options open and holding off to make a decision. That said, who knows, this could be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

Perhaps Nevills plans on bringing a friend? Hunter Cruz would be a big pick up.
      I think Hahn was referring to the new wrestling facility being approved by the SD Board of Regents

Comment

• Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

I think Hahn was referring to the new wrestling facility being approved by the SD Board of Regents
        Agreed! I'm probably more excited about that anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by witness View Post
          2021 Ashton Barker from Iowa is the commit
          https://twitter.com/ashton25052941/s...581882370?s=21
          Just noticed that he flipped to Iowa State last month
          https://twitter.com/ashton__barker2/...492204544?s=21
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

James Rawley, I keep seeing him interact with the coaches on Twitter but he is highly sought after so I wouldn't blame him for keeping his options open and holding off to make a decision. That said, who knows, this could be it.
            You usually have a good eye for what South Dakota high school wrestlers to keep an eye on. With it being state this weekend, who should SDSU be looking at?

Comment

• Who is this Navarro Schunke from Brandon Valley? Won 220 last year as an 8th grader and has pinned his way into the finals at HWT as a 9th grader and Track wrestling has him #18 in the nation

Comment

Who is this Navarro Schunke from Brandon Valley? Won 220 last year as an 8th grader and has pinned his way into the finals at HWT as a 9th grader and Track wrestling has him #18 in the nation
                Damion Schunke’s younger brother. Both train at Legends of Gold in Beresford. Their dad is an Assistant Coach for Terry Pack.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Damion Schunke’s younger brother. Both train at Legends of Gold in Beresford. Their dad is an Assistant Coach for Terry Pack.
                  So they are a major NDSU lean? That's dissapointing

Comment

• The Shaffer kid from Pierre pinning the kid from Stevens to win the dual title was pretty awesome.

Comment

You usually have a good eye for what South Dakota high school wrestlers to keep an eye on. With it being state this weekend, who should SDSU be looking at?
                      I'll do a full write-up soon here but, of the fop of my head Sam Kruger at 170, Cael Larson at 138, Damion Schunke at 182 and Navarro Schunke at 285 all seem to have D1 potential. There are probably some others. Klikhammer and Rasmussen are already committed and seem to have been some smart pickups as well.

Comment

• Larson has already signed at Northern.

Comment

I'll do a full write-up soon here but, of the fop of my head Sam Kruger at 170, Cael Larson at 138, Damion Schunke at 182 and Navarro Schunke at 285 all seem to have D1 potential. There are probably some others. Klikhammer and Rasmussen are already committed and seem to have been some smart pickups as well.
                          What do you base this write up off of? Are you watching these guys throughout the year or see them up against top competition somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post

What do you base this write up off of? Are you watching these guys throughout the year or see them up against top competition somewhere.
                            I spend a lot of time on trackwrestlng looking up results and I follow the rankings. Sometimes I can dig up video (the state tournament is all available on video). I do the best I can with what I have, but there are probably people out there who are on the ground and have a better perspective that I do. Of course, I also can't account for grades, character, interest, etc. . .

Comment

I spend a lot of time on trackwrestlng looking up results and I follow the rankings. Sometimes I can dig up video (the state tournament is all available on video). I do the best I can with what I have, but there are probably people out there who are on the ground and have a better perspective that I do. Of course, I also can't account for grades, character, interest, etc. . .
                              Really tough to tell if someone is D1 level without watching them, especially when looking at SD kids. We just don’t have enough elite kids in our state to do a fair comparison when just looking at the state tournament results. A pin or dominate performance in the finals in SD doesn’t always tell you yep that kid is D1 capable. Most years there is 1, maybe 2-3 seniors that are ready for D1 in SD, maybe couple other guys that can backup on D1 but will be unlikely to be competing for all American honors.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post

Really tough to tell if someone is D1 level without watching them, especially when looking at SD kids. We just don’t have enough elite kids in our state to do a fair comparison when just looking at the state tournament results. A pin or dominate performance in the finals in SD doesn’t always tell you yep that kid is D1 capable. Most years there is 1, maybe 2-3 seniors that are ready for D1 in SD, maybe couple other guys that can backup on D1 but will be unlikely to be competing for all American honors.
                                i think we mean different things they we talk about "DI caliber wrestlers" We're lucky that some people do take opportunities to compete at outside tournaments and are proven commodities. Rasmussen, Klinkhammer, and Schunke are good examples of that. Outside of that, I've always been a fan of taking a few fliers every year and you can see it they work out or not; Kahlen Morris, Schoon, and Williams are examples of guys who weren't known commodities coming out of college, but who did contribute more than enough to justify their roster spots. They're not AA contenders or even starters, but, for every starter, you're going to have three people on the roster who you hope can make an impact. Those are the people who I am really interested in because they fill out the roster, they give back to the culture of wrestling in the state, and they're super cheap. Plus, every now and they you get a Martin Mueller or a Ben Gillette who breaks through and becomes a mainstay in the line-up. That's the project that I'm working on. I feel like I'm able to achieve some degree of efficacy looking at style, mentality, involvement in other sports, etc. . .and, after results and rankings give me to top 25 or so kids in the state, I start looking at that stuff and make some guesses. At the end of the day it's just something that I do for fun and I post it here hoping to get some feedback so I can improve my predictions.

Comment

Working...
                                X