Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

Originally posted by Northernjackrabbit View Post
    Side note since the Wombat mentioned Connor Brown he is listed under the roster for Mizzou at 133.

I thought he followed Bono to Wisconsin. I guess he changed his mind?
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Connor wrestled at Wisconsin for part of the season and left the team. He is now back home and on the roster for the Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
        I thought he followed Bono to Wisconsin. I guess he changed his mind?
        He did but left after competing in 14 matches (11-3). I believe he left right after the first semester.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

Dan Stiebral, Tyler Waterson, and now Cooper Voorhees and Kylen March would be some DI people off the top of my head that would fit the bill. Colby Kost, Clayton Walstrom, Wyatt Turnquist, Tanner Brengle, Brandon Carroll, and Lincoln Turman have done well at the DII level and would be useful to have in the room.

More impressive to me is the list of people who didn't go on to wrestle who we possible could have snagged: Alex Aesoph, Chase Sigdestad, Barrett Wren, Cooper Baloun, William Turman, Spencer Stockman, Michael Lusk, Trey Hage, Donte Colicheski, Logan Warzecha, Andrew Sorenson, Peyton Smith, Dylan Hanisch, Eddie Miller, Spencer Sarringer, John Lemer, and Ryley Ostbye are some names that I came up with though I haven't done a ton of research on all of them.
          So I think we've come to an agreement that this staff, and really the staff before, did a pretty good job of recruiting and providing opportunities for D1 level SD wrestlers. I'd agree with you when you say that 9 wrestlers on our current roster is a pretty good number, and i'd love to see a couple of those SD wrestlers or future SD wrestlers break through into the starting lineup. However, if that doesn't happen, I'm going to be just as excited about our 10 starters from other states that put that SD on their chest.

Additionally, I think it's been shown that the amount of SD wrestlers who are D1 level wrestlers is pretty small. The fact that we could really only identify four SD wrestlers in the past five years who are having success at other programs (and really only two, as two of those four are still HS seniors and haven't proven they are going to have any success at the college level yet), shows that the pool to recruit from in SD is small. Combine that with the fact that MN, IA, and other neighboring states produce many many more D1 level wrestlers, and I'd say that our focus - identifying the few in SD who can contribute, and recruiting heavily in neighboring states with more history of success - is right on point.

Just to close the conversation -

I do think Stribal could have been successful at SDSU and he would have been at a weight of need the past 5 years. However, our current heavyweight Blake Wolters, from just 35 minutes down the road from Brookings and much closer than Stribal's hometown, albeit across the MN border, defeated Stribal earlier this year.

Tyler Waterson has left the MN program from what I've gathered. And I'm not sure that he'd be a better option than either Clay Carlson at 141 (Clay's record against common opponents is much better, and Clay is a year younger) or Henry P or Hunter Marko at 149.

So I'm not sure that either of those two would be better options than the current Jackrabbits we have in their starting roles.

I would have loved to have Kellyn March select SDSU in order to see his NCAA career unfold in a JACKRABBIT singlet vs. a Bison. I'm confident the staff recruited him and he had the option to choose to stay in state. There may have been connections now at NDSU that made that choice more appealing for him or maybe he just liked NDSU or Fargo better - difficult to say.

Not sure if Voorhees was a focus of the current SDSU staff or not...when it all comes down to it, he chose to stay closer to home (although not in state) by choosing Wyoming.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Is this individual Reeder in the article committed to SDSU football or Wrestling?
            https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...outputType=amp

Comment

Originally posted by Northernjackrabbit View Post
              Is this individual Reeder in the article committed to SDSU football or Wrestling?
              https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...outputType=amp
              Football.

Comment

Things of note from surrounding state tournaments:

My favorite North Dakota wrestler Garrett Jangula wrapped up his high school career with an undefeated season. He's only had four matches not end in a fall this year. If we don't get him, I hope he goes somewhere. It would be a huge waste of talent for him to hang it up after high school. He's now a four timer and he hasn't lost a match since freshman year.
                A kid named Clay Gerhardt won his forth consecutive North Dakota state B title taking the title at 132 with an undefeated season, he also has a little brother who won 106 as a 9th grader. He has no college plans that I've been able to find. He would be a good get if we can bring him in for cheap.
                There are a couple of twins in Iowa by the name of Tenold who finished runner up at 160 and 170 respectively as sophomores. I would love for them to be jackrabbits.
                There are a few other Iowa sophomores who look to have a lot of potential at weights where we will be in need. (This year and next year have got to be pretty well wrapped up in terms of major commits). Mickey Griffith won it at 170, Griffen Gambral took 3rd at 182, Wyatt Voelker took 3rd at 195, Nick Hamilton won at 145, and Hayden Taylor also won at 145.
                Current recruit Jack Thomsen took third after a UTB match with Hayden Taylor in the semi-finals. A bit of a let down for him after winning state the last two years. He also took a loss in districts.
                2022 recruit Bailey Roybal won state at 113. His only loss of the year was to Blake West of Shakopee, MN who is a stud. Good on Cody for finding this kid and signing him before he gets on the radar of other teams. There was nothing in his results that indicated that he would be anything special at the time of his signing, but he turned into something this year.

South Dakota and Minnesota have their state tournaments this coming weekend. I'm sure that the whole staff will be hard at work scouting these out.

Comment

This is a general reply to the whole SD HS Recruits...

Being a Minnesota Native who went to SDSU and an avid follower of Jacks Wrestling (while a Gopher Fan, I bleed Blue & Gold when we match up)...I personally think both Hahn & Bono scooped all D1 Talent from the state. SD just doesn't product at a rate like Minnesota, Iowa, NJ, Ohio, Penn, etc. Part of it is it doesn't seem South Dakota doesn't have a club or presence on the FS/Greco Circuits. Most if not all power states have them. For example, in Minnesota if you're a stud with college aspirations you wrestle for either Minnesota Storm or PINnacle in the Spring & Summer in hopes of placing in Fargo and/or making a Cadet/Jr. Teams. Until the state provides a club like that, they simply won't produce at the rate as other states. Outside of Kokesh & Storley, as someone already pointed out, SDSU hasn't missed/let instate kids slip through their fingers that would have made an impact.

I know Cody & Cam were in IA last weekend for their State Tournament. Have to imagine they are in St. Paul for the MN State Tournament this weekend watching Joey Thompson & Derrick Cardinal while keeping their eyes on others.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                    This is a general reply to the whole SD HS Recruits...

Being a Minnesota Native who went to SDSU and an avid follower of Jacks Wrestling (while a Gopher Fan, I bleed Blue & Gold when we match up)...I personally think both Hahn & Bono scooped all D1 Talent from the state. SD just doesn't product at a rate like Minnesota, Iowa, NJ, Ohio, Penn, etc. Part of it is it doesn't seem South Dakota doesn't have a club or presence on the FS/Greco Circuits. Most if not all power states have them. For example, in Minnesota if you're a stud with college aspirations you wrestle for either Minnesota Storm or PINnacle in the Spring & Summer in hopes of placing in Fargo and/or making a Cadet/Jr. Teams. Until the state provides a club like that, they simply won't produce at the rate as other states. Outside of Kokesh & Storley, as someone already pointed out, SDSU hasn't missed/let instate kids slip through their fingers that would have made an impact.

I know Cody & Cam were in IA last weekend for their State Tournament. Have to imagine they are in St. Paul for the MN State Tournament this weekend watching Joey Thompson & Derrick Cardinal while keeping their eyes on others.
                    Blue & Yellow.

Legends of Gold has the capacity/capability to be that club in SD.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Blue & Yellow.

Legends of Gold has the capacity/capability to be that club in SD.
                      I think that they have something special going on down there in Beresford. I'd love to see something open up in Rapid City or Spearfish to provide a similar opportunity for future Jackrabbits out West. I think Rotert or someone else with SDSU ties going out and starting something like this up would be be huge for the sport in SD and for the future of the Jackrabbit wrestling team.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

I think that they have something special going on down there in Beresford. I'd love to see something open up in Rapid City or Spearfish to provide a similar opportunity for future Jackrabbits out West. I think Rotert or someone else with SDSU ties going out and starting something like this up would be be huge for the sport in SD and for the future of the Jackrabbit wrestling team.
                        Not Sure if you all listened to the last 2 podcasts but we covered the SD D1 talent question with both Tyler Sorenson and Nate Rotert. Someone mentioned Rotert going back out west, but I think that has a low probability in the near future, Quite some time ago Wombat talked about Rotert needing to be able to recruit SD with his position, he talked about his position and what it entails with us. Not just trying to promote the podcast, but wanted to highlight that if you are interested we talk about these very things.

Love the discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

Not Sure if you all listened to the last 2 podcasts but we covered the SD D1 talent question with both Tyler Sorenson and Nate Rotert. Someone mentioned Rotert going back out west, but I think that has a low probability in the near future, Quite some time ago Wombat talked about Rotert needing to be able to recruit SD with his position, he talked about his position and what it entails with us. Not just trying to promote the podcast, but wanted to highlight that if you are interested we talk about these very things.

Love the discussion!
                          Promote away. I appreciate what you are doing. It's great to hear some people with some actual information. I sometimes feel hamstrung being out East and not getting the inside scoop on some things, the podcast helps to close that gap.

Comment

Kellyn March did not look good against a freshman in the State finals. Was not impressed tbh
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                              Kellyn March did not look good against a freshman in the State finals. Was not impressed tbh
                              Peterson from Philip as a 7th grader had him beat as a sophomore if not for bad reffing. March just isn't as good as people think in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Peterson from Philip as a 7th grader had him beat as a sophomore if not for bad reffing. March just isn't as good as people think in my opinion.
                                With the way TheWombat was talking, I thought he would pin his way through state. SD state isn't THAT tough for D1 wrestlers. Nash, unsurprisingly was the most impressive wrestler. Such a shame he choose football, his best sport by far is wrestling
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X