• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackrabbit1979
    replied
    Re: Recruits

Also love this debate.

I'd like someone to list the SD wrestlers that you feel we've missed on the past five years, since SDSU wrestling became "relevant" again. What SD wrestlers are having success for other D1 programs, who would have helped us at SDSU?

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied

Originally posted by AmberValley View Post
    Probably Zero. Division One only allows 9.9 scholarships. That gets divided up amongst most of the guys; starters and non-starters. Currently the online roster shows 36 guys.

A full wrestling scholarship is very rare.

I remember years ago hearing that you were lucky if you got over 10% scholly at the U of M.
    My point exactly. Almost amazing any kids wrestle at all. They have to truly love the sport. No surprise football will get the upper weight kids.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

First of all, I LOVE the debate going on with this thread. It shows how much passion there is for wrestling at SDSU. We are not that far removed from the days where this program was in serious consideration for being dropped.

When I was reading about the debate of landing more top recruits, it made me wonder how the big time programs build their teams. I watched much of the Hawkeyes vs. Huskers dual Saturday night after tuning in to see Peyton Robb take the mat for the Huskers. Yep, the same Payton Robb who inititally committed to SDSU.

The Hawkeyes have an impressive team. Many think this is the first team since the Gophers accomplished it in the early 2000's to potentially have All-Americans at every weight class. I looked at their roster and they have an impressive list, including 15 native sons wrestling for their homestate and legendary program. Care to guess how many wrestled against the Huskers? ZERO!

Their starting lineup consisted of 5 from Pennsylvania, 3 from Illinois, and 1 each from Florida and Ohio. This is the #1 ranked team in the nation, with no native Iowan in the starting lineup. No doubt it is important for them to lockup the best talent from Iowa, but even the Hawkeyes have to load up their roster from out of state talent to compete at the highest level.

I'd love to see 2-4 starters in our lineup from South Dakota, but I'm not willing to sacrifice competing at the highest level by not recruiting the best talent and students to Brookings. Stig and AJ have consistently built winning teams that are competitive at the highest levels with in-state talent. Just don't kid yourself, we have to build our team with talent from outside of our state border. Getting the best South Dakotans would be icing on the cake.

Leave a comment:

• AmberValley
    replied

Probably Zero. Division One only allows 9.9 scholarships. That gets divided up amongst most of the guys; starters and non-starters. Currently the online roster shows 36 guys.

A full wrestling scholarship is very rare.

I remember years ago hearing that you were lucky if you got over 10% scholly at the U of M.

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied

Anybody know how many if any of our wrestlers are on full scholarship ?

Leave a comment:

• TheWombat
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Do you know that Michael Lusk wants to wrestle collegiately?
    Never met the guy. Good story though, right?

Leave a comment:

• TheWombat
    replied

Yes, California presents a unique recruiting landscape and measuring the quality of a wrestler by state placing is not always the best way to do it. JJ Everard was an example of someone who couldn't rise to the top in California but was a very good wrestler in college. It is a bit of a gamble though. Nobody from California is going to South Dakota for free and, if they don't work out, you could have a guy who was an unknown commodity out of high school sitting on scholarship for five year. You can save that money by investing and local wrestlers. Even if they're bad, they can still bring fans to the meets, spread the culture, and help to build relationships with future boosters.

Leave a comment:

• AZjack
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    I accidentally hit post before explaining why tbh but Nash was always going to play football in college. Major D1 scholarship, better chance after college to be successful, etc.
    Agree, was just using Hutmacher as an example of a good SD high school wrestler.

I thought he made the Cadet team, but didn't go (KSJack is may be right that he didn't make the team).

No one is saying to throw scholarship money at projects. Just keep the guys in state that can contribute, Voorhees will do well for WY.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Let's keep to discussing posts, not posters please.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Witness is correct on this.
    I accidentally hit post before explaining why tbh but Nash was always going to play football in college. Major D1 scholarship, better chance after college to be successful, etc.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

I wish every state champ from SD wrestled in national freestyle tournaments and especially Fargo. Rotert got the HS ranking he did just by showing up in Fargo

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Hutmacher is irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witness is correct on this.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied
    Recruits

Hutmacher is mostly irrelevant to this conversation tbh. Way to tough to turn down a football scholarship to Nebraska

Leave a comment:

• KSjack
    replied

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
    Hutmacher.
    What team did he make? He was a Fargo champ but never wrestled for a cadet or junior team I believe.

Leave a comment:

• AZjack
    replied

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
    Bruh.. I grew up and wrestled in Minnesota. Went to school at SDSU. Moved to Kansas for a job. I agree wresting blows in kansas which is why I never once said recruit it. But, Kansas did just have a cadet world team member. When was South Dakota’s last one? I’ll wait.

Hutmacher.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X