women need improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: women need improvement?

Not sure what it is you are on there zooropa but you may want to ease up a bit there chief. Either that or you are off your meds.

Without question the most non-sensicle bunch of posts I have seen. Time to stop.

I'm done with this thread and I'm sticking with the Jacks need to get more athletic, period!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Her name was Danielle Robinson, and here's the question: WHAT ENABLED HER TO DO WHAT SHE DID?

Better coaching? Better conditioning? Better reflexes? More stamina? Was she faster after that first step? Does she have better 'instincts'? Quicker decision making? More confidence? Some combination of the preceding?

This isn't about semantics, RO, it's about specifics.

Or you could just say, "she's more athletic" and then lament the lack of "athletes" on the Jacks' squad.
      Better coaching - no ; Better conditioning and more stamina - no,she dominated right from the start ; Better reflexes,instincts and decision making-yes, all have to do with more quickness of body and hand/eye coordination ; faster first step and all steps thereafter - yes ; more confidence - no, most players at this level have confidence or they wouldn't be there.

Comment

Danielle Robinson was Gazelle quick, and did a great job of anticipating passes, especially in the early first half when the Sooners made their steals/lay-ups. Abi O was a wide-body mass (think Ms. A. Cardova here) that our more slender Posts were getting pushed around underneath. W/o tight foul calling, those wide bodies, once settled in under the hoop, will win many of the inside battles.

Jacks keep getting higher and higher starred WBB players because AJ is proving that SDSU has a GREAT shot at Dancing each season. Megan W. will be our highest recruit yet. Will SDSU EVER become the DESTINATION school for top talent? La Tech made it for YEARS. As long as AJ stays, SDSU can get there too.

Jacks have become the poster child for successful transition from D-II to D-I. Gulf Coast FL emulated and specifically named SDSU as the model that they used to move forward.

OU coach stated that Jacks are there and competitive. Jacks will likely continue being a tough game in post season, WITH THE TALENT HERE AND ARRIVING. It is good for SDSU that at least ORU is elevating their game in Summit. Oakland needs to get back in the saddle again, and start to WIN those OOC good games. ORU, SDSU, Oakland, UMKC, possibly IPFW and NDSU should be top 1/2 RPI teams if they challenge themselves. Jacks thought that they pwned the Summit, but learned that a lack of focus, and someone else in the league could jump them. Because RPI sorta starts from the results of the previous season, to get high and remain high, the league as a whole needs to move up their play and successes vs other power schools.

Jacks are well set, and know what a difference 27-4 vs 20-10 will make for the seeding. Need to get these below 100 RPI wins.

Comment

That's not my point.

My point is that it's not sufficient to say that 'Olajuwon was better athletically'.... It's a hollow phrase, devoid of meaning. In terms of things you 'can't coach', Olajuwon is in the same class as Whitted. In terms of things you 'can coach' Olajuwon is in a different class than Whitted.

That's why I compared them--to illustrate that 'athletic superiority' is an empty phrase. It doesn't really -mean- anything concrete.
          If you would involve those two in a direct competition measuring foot speed,agility and quickness,I would bet you an entire french silk pie that Abi would win every category

Comment

Michael Phelps is an awesome athlete. Maybe he should be playing basketball professionally.

After all, he'd be more athletic than many players in the pros.
            This is getting rediculous. It was apparent from the opening tip that Danielle Robinson was more athletic than anyone we've ever had on our women's roster at SDSU. She was faster, stronger, and could move quicker than anyone else on the court, just as Lebron James can move faster than anyone else in the NBA. No, there isn't a way to quantify exactly what "more athletic" means, other than holding an NFL Combine type drills to compare everyone against. But anyone watching the game, including the two women who watched the game with me on ESPN, could easily see that Oklahoma had a different level of athlete on the floor than SDSU did. That doesn't mean we couldn't compete, or couldn't have won the game, it just means that they had players that could do things athletically that we couldn't.

Comment

I agree with Jacks-02.

For someone to say Oklahoma was more athletic than us is not an insult. Being the most athletic doesn't mean you are the best player, or have the best teams. We could list tons of men's/women's teams from years past in college and pros who weren't eye popping athletic and they and their teams were very successful. Less athletic teams can win games and over more athletic teams.

Oklahoma was more athletic. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                This is getting rediculous. It was apparent from the opening tip that Danielle Robinson was more athletic than anyone we've ever had on our women's roster at SDSU. She was faster, stronger, and could move quicker than anyone else on the court, just as Lebron James can move faster than anyone else in the NBA. No, there isn't a way to quantify exactly what "more athletic" means, other than holding an NFL Combine type drills to compare everyone against. But anyone watching the game, including the two women who watched the game with me on ESPN, could easily see that Oklahoma had a different level of athlete on the floor than SDSU did. That doesn't mean we couldn't compete, or couldn't have won the game, it just means that they had players that could do things athletically that we couldn't.
                Sorry 02 you lost me at 2 women
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Better reflexes,instincts and decision making-yes,
                  Okay. So how do you counter that?

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    Danielle Robinson was Gazelle quick, and did a great job of anticipating passes, especially in the early first half when the Sooners made their steals/lay-ups.
                    Robinson did a great job anticipating those passes--just like Luper. So are the Jacks telegraphing their passes? Are they not passing the ball crisply enough? What are they doing that's making it possible for these passes to be interfered with?
                    Abi O was a wide-body mass (think Ms. A. Cardova here) that our more slender Posts were getting pushed around underneath. W/o tight foul calling, those wide bodies, once settled in under the hoop, will win many of the inside battles.
                    I was thinking much the same thing re: Cordova.

Also, I think larger posts get away with a bit more on a smaller post than two similar sized posts--or the way the game's called can enhance a size advantage.

Comment

Robinson did a great job anticipating those passes--just like Luper. So are the Jacks telegraphing their passes? Are they not passing the ball crisply enough? What are they doing that's making it possible for these passes to be interfered with?

Also, I think larger posts get away with a bit more on a smaller post than two similar sized posts--or the way the game's called can enhance a size advantage.
                      Personally, I think part of the passing problem is that they get a bit lazy, as they get away with those passes against most of the Summit League teams they play exactly because most Summit League teams don't have guards as quick as ORU or most of the (better) NCAA tournament teams.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just wanted the last word...and some pie.

Comment

More times than not, team players win out over more athletic individualism. The first thing I look for in a player is "toughness" (Macie and Maria come to mind when I think of this). The second characteristic I look for is "basketball intelligence" (Jill and others comes to mind) and third, I would look for "funamentally sound" players with heart (which many SDSU players fit this bill).

Athlectic players often times do not make good teammates, as they are focued on looking great in their own mind and while they can make some awesome moves they will try to do to much and hurt the team. Bottom line, team-work wins over superior athleticism more times than not.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
                            Athlectic players often times do not make good teammates, as they are focued on looking great in their own mind and while they can make some awesome moves they will try to do to much and hurt the team. Bottom line, team-work wins over superior athleticism more times than not.
                            Wow, what a terrible and wrong generalization.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Yes SDSU WAS telegraphing passes early. The point guard at top of key is the most likely passee, so Robinson watched the mid side ballhandlers and when they set to pass, she'd break for the pass coming across. After 2 breakaway steals, Jacks figured that out and pumped first, she'd break, then they could go for the now uncovered low post. Players of that speed and quickness need to be broken of that jump by fake pumps and inside cuts to steal those break away. I'll note that according to OUhoops, that Robinson's crash down created a slightly twisted ankle, and she didn't perform "outstanding" after that. Maybe. Maybe Jacks started more pump fakes and crisper passes.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                Yes SDSU WAS telegraphing passes early. The point guard at top of key is the most likely passee, so Robinson watched the mid side ballhandlers and when they set to pass, she'd break for the pass coming across. After 2 breakaway steals, Jacks figured that out and pumped first, she'd break, then they could go for the now uncovered low post. Players of that speed and quickness need to be broken of that jump by fake pumps and inside cuts to steal those break away. I'll note that according to OUhoops, that Robinson's crash down created a slightly twisted ankle, and she didn't perform "outstanding" after that. Maybe. Maybe Jacks started more pump fakes and crisper passes.
                                Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

If you can freeze a player like Robinson, or make her second-guess her first impression of how a play is going to develop, you've neutralized some of the advantages she has.

Comment

Working...
                                X