Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: women need improvement?

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    In evaluating post players,winning a 50 yard dash would not be the most important trait I would look for. Olajuwon and their other post definitely were not faster or quicker than our posts,but who had the bigger impact on the game? How many times did we drive to the basket,see the Sooner post player there and fling up shots that often didn't even draw iron ? I would guess the Oklahoma coaching staff would have been content to let our posts fire up 3 pointers all day,as long as they could deny drives to the basket. And calling Olajuwan and Julia Whitted similar in terms of athletic ability is quite the stretch.
    That's not my point.

My point is that it's not sufficient to say that 'Olajuwon was better athletically'.... It's a hollow phrase, devoid of meaning. In terms of things you 'can't coach', Olajuwon is in the same class as Whitted. In terms of things you 'can coach' Olajuwon is in a different class than Whitted.

That's why I compared them--to illustrate that 'athletic superiority' is an empty phrase. It doesn't really -mean- anything concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      I will define it. They jumped a little higher and can move with and without the ball a little quicker as evidenced by our constantly getting being beat on the back door.
      I think part of the issue with getting beat by the back door cuts is paying more attention on the ball than you are on the player you are defending. Our switching defense is good, but it isn't designed to make up for getting burned back door.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        That's not my point.

My point is that it's not sufficient to say that 'Olajuwon was better athletically'.... It's a hollow phrase, devoid of meaning. In terms of things you 'can't coach', Olajuwon is in the same class as Whitted. In terms of things you 'can coach' Olajuwon is in a different class than Whitted.

That's why I compared them--to illustrate that 'athletic superiority' is an empty phrase. It doesn't really -mean- anything concrete.
        The team with the higher sum of all parts won the game! They had enough of whatever you want to define to get the W! Its the only definition that matters. On a different day maybe we get the W but we didn't.

This is getting ridiculous.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          This getting ridiculous.
          No more ridiculous than the endless second guessing regarding Shaunteva Ashley. No more ridiculous than saying, "well, they're just better athletically." No more ridiculous than expanding the men's tournament to 96 teams.................

Comment

Define it. Describe it.
            They were faster, quicker laterally, and quicker while handling the ball. Athletic is defined as: of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina

They had more strength, agility and stamina.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

That is beyond ridiculous. Look up athletic on a dictionary. Pretty concrete.

They had enough of whatever you want to define to get the W!
              Those would be points

Comment

No more ridiculous than the endless second guessing regarding Shaunteva Ashley. No more ridiculous than saying, "well, they're just better athletically." No more ridiculous than expanding the men's tournament to 96 teams.................
                Could I interest you in a slice of athletic pie? I can't define why it is so darn good but all I know is I want more.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  They had more strength, agility and stamina.
                  What 'they'?

I get tired of non-specific generalities being tossed around, as though they were definitive direct explanations.

It is ridiculous to say 'they' (as in the -entire- 14 player Sooner roster or even -every- player on the court at any given moment) were 'more athletic' than the Jacks. Sheesh. Most of you aren't even bothering to name names. Name players. Cite attributes. Identify weaknesses and strengths.

Really--what kind of a discussion is this:

"The Sooners were more athletic."

"Agreed. The Jacks need to recruit more athletic players."

"I like pie."

Comment

Could I interest you in a slice of athletic pie?
                    Not if the main ingredient is an athletic supporter.

Comment

What 'they'?

I get tired of non-specific generalities being tossed around, as though they were definitive direct explanations.

It is ridiculous to say 'they' (as in the -entire- 14 player Sooner roster or even -every- player on the court at any given moment) were 'more athletic' than the Jacks. Sheesh. Most of you aren't even bothering to name names. Name players. Cite attributes. Identify weaknesses and strengths.

Really--what kind of a discussion is this:

"The Sooners were more athletic."

"Agreed. The Jacks need to recruit more athletic players."

"I like pie."
                      And you're just trying to argue semantics instead of basketball. The point guard. No idea what her name was. She got to the lane at will and destroyed us defensively. She was more athletic. Stop trying to use grammar and semantics to win an argument. That is ALL you do.

Comment

And you're just trying to argue semantics instead of basketball. The point guard. No idea what her name was. She got to the lane at will and destroyed us defensively. She was more athletic. Stop trying to use grammar and semantics to win an argument. That is ALL you do.
                        ...kinda what I was thinking. I was at the game. Whoever says OK wasn't significantly more athletic top-to-bottom is either fooling themselves, completely clueless about basketball, just trying to argue or ALL OF THE ABOVE.
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

She was more athletic.
                          Her name was Danielle Robinson, and here's the question: WHAT ENABLED HER TO DO WHAT SHE DID?

Better coaching? Better conditioning? Better reflexes? More stamina? Was she faster after that first step? Does she have better 'instincts'? Quicker decision making? More confidence? Some combination of the preceding?

This isn't about semantics, RO, it's about specifics.

Or you could just say, "she's more athletic" and then lament the lack of "athletes" on the Jacks' squad.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            ...kinda what I was thinking. I was at the game. Whoever says OK wasn't significantly more athletic top-to-bottom is either fooling themselves, completely clueless about basketball, just trying to argue or ALL OF THE ABOVE.
                            Exactly. And I'm not trying to say that being athletic is the only key to basketball game. But when a team like Oklahoma that is well-coached and has smart players AND possesses more the athleticism, they will beat a team like SDSU 7-8 out of 10 times.

But if your argument is that Oklahoma was not more athletic than SDSU, then you would be wrong.

Comment

Or you could just say, "she's more athletic" and then lament the lack of "athletes" on the Jacks' squad.
                              "I" will do "that." She was more "athletic" than every single "person" on SDSU's WBB "team." Every single "person" on this "board" "knows" what that means except for "you," apparently.

Comment

Every single person on this board knows what that means except for you, apparently.

Michael Phelps is an awesome athlete. Maybe he should be playing basketball professionally.

After all, he'd be more athletic than many players in the pros.

Comment

Working...
                                X