NCAA screw job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA screw job

Things which the Jacks could control they did marvelously. The rest is just life.

Comment

Jackmd, and the rest of those who disagreed with the seeding and location, I don't take offense. I appreciate your honesty, and enjoy occasionally taking part in these discussions.

I have no issue with anyone having an opinion, whether it's the same as mine or if it differs. Personally, I don't think it was that big of a screwing, for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post.

But in the end, it's nice to be a mid-major and debating the merits of whether or not a 7-seed is a screwjob. Let's hope we can prove ourselves worthy of higher seeds and make deeper tournament runs in the upcoming years.

Comment

Originally posted by ivandrago View Post
        Jackmd, and the rest of those who disagreed with the seeding and location, I don't take offense. I appreciate your honesty, and enjoy occasionally taking part in these discussions.

I have no issue with anyone having an opinion, whether it's the same as mine or if it differs. Personally, I don't think it was that big of a screwing, for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post.

But in the end, it's nice to be a mid-major and debating the merits of whether or not a 7-seed is a screwjob. Let's hope we can prove ourselves worthy of higher seeds and make deeper tournament runs in the upcoming years.
        Athletics are about competition, and if we take care of business we usually have something to show for. Our women bb team has a good start towards a National championship. Lets keep it going. I for one had not paid a whole lot of attention to the women's big dance, but I was surprised to learn that Baylor won it all in 2005. The possibilty is there, we just have to make it happen.

Comment

Mrs. 91 here for this topic only:

As we sat at Buffalo Wild Wings with 5 other fans, the announcers commented about how the Jacks were not a 7-seed team as well as "criticized" some of the calls. And unlike Trey Wingo (or whatever you want to call him...those names made me laugh), they called us "South Dakota State". All of this felt like respect at least from the 2 guys calling the game.

Regarding the location, ask Duke how they felt about playing Michigan State in Lansing or Auburn about playing Rutgers in Piscataway.

And after watching many of the other women's games on TV, there have been many poor calls in most of the games--more than I remember from previous tournaments.

As someone who wears stripes, I want to believe it isn't/wasn't personal against the Jacks, but rather, just how things go on a given night ("that's life"). Similar to the nights when a player is hot and can't miss or ice-cold no matter what they do, officials are human and have good and bad nights. With that said, was I happy with the way the game was called? No. And I do think it stinks to be on the receiving end of a bad night of officiating. The tight whistles definitely made it more difficult for our defense to get the offense going. While the calls didn't dictate the outcome, I would say they definitely had an influence on it.

The fact that it came down to a last second play in spite of the circumstances speaks volumes about this team being the real-deal. Hopefully, that earns respect from the NCAA for next year. While it didn't end the way anyone wished, it WAS a great year.

Anecdote: Friends of ours in Lubbock were at both games. All the Texas Tech fans were cheering the Jacks, and many of the Baylor fans were rude with the comment, "Welcome to Divisoin I." Does that mean, welcome to unethical coaching (the girl could shoot if she could play the next weekend, probably just not shoot well) and no breaks with the calls until you've "earned" them?

Bonus: We don't have a theatrical, vest-throwing coach to apologize for, but rather, from what I can tell, a class-act guy who does not need an episode of "What Not to Wear" leading a class-act program that is now on the map. So Cowbell, hold off on that vest purchase for AJ.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by ivandrago View Post
            Seriously, why is everyone so convinced we got screwed in location, seed, etc.???

Lubbock is over 350 miles from Waco, which is roughly the distance from Brookings to Rapid. I guess we could have flipped with Texas, and been a 6 seed in Columbus. That way we could have played Ohio State on the Buckeyes' home floor in round two.

And Ohio State was at full strength. We played a Baylor team that was missing their best player, an all-American. And with the coach Mulkey situation, they were ripe for the picking.

I can understand if people wanted us to be a 6 seed. I think 5 would have been a tad high for us, but understandable. We could have easily ended up with a 2nd round game against Cal in L.A., or against UNC in Chattanooga (which isn't much farther than Waco-to-Lubbock), or we could have played Georgia in the first round in nearby Duluth.

We all wanted the Jacks to win, and I was as heartbroken as the rest of us watching that Baylor game. But in the end we played in one of the *four closest* locations in the tournament to Brookings, and had every chance to win.

We are in our first year of tournament eligibility, and didn't beat anyone with a single-digit seed. We got a decent draw, and lost a game we should have won. Not because of seeding, or location...because we missed some shots we normally make.
            I'm not worried about the location or seed. I think Iowa City would have been nice but there weren't many other options. I do think that there would have been "many" more SDSU fans if it was only a drive to Rapid. A five hour drive would have been nice. There just weren't many sites that close. Baylor was rated high but there weren't that good for a #2 seed. The #15 seed took them to OT and they were short handed. I liked the matchup and still do. If we play them 10 times, we should win 7(or so). It just wasn't our night.
            There were 2 things that I think cost us that game:
            1) Shooting- We had several open shots and didn't hit them. The shots were from all over. We missed Free Throws, Lay-ups and 3's. We were 3-15 from 3 point land and most of them were open shots. 75% in free throws isn't bad but this team can do better. I think the main thing about free throws is Baylor wasn't supposed to be good at them and shot lights out.
            2) Fouls- I'm not going to say the officials sucked. Everybody has their own opinion on that but just when and who got into foul trouble. SDSU's big gals got into trouble early. With Ketty, Maria and Stacie on the bench; SDSU had to go really deep into their bench early. Morgan picked up 3 fouls in about 3 minutes early in the 1st half. Later in the 1st half, Sunnarborg and Schuttloffel were on the court during Baylor's run. They are good players but don't have the experience on both ends to play against a top 10-15 team in the country. In the 2nd half, SDSU didn't play as aggressive on defense because they were scared of fouling out(my opinion). It just changed the who completion of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit View Post
              Bonus: We don't have a theatrical, vest-throwing coach to apologize for, but rather, from what I can tell, a class-act guy who does not need an episode of "What Not to Wear" leading a class-act program that is now on the map.
              Good one. Rep to you and your hubby.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
              X