X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game Thread: Baylor

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
    I think we learn a lot from this game. We learned that we can take on a top 5 team and beat them. I know the score doesn't reflect them, but in my mind, we did. The loss will also make the returning players work that much harder in the off season. They will work on all aspects of their game and get stronger. AJ and the coaching staff will also learn from this game and gain experience from being in big, close games. It will be almost impossible to top the season we had this year. 32-3 is hard to beat. I expect their out of conference schedule will improve to bring their RPI up some more. I believe we have the women's basketball attention now. We will nevery be regarded lightly again and sneak up on teams. Our recognition should improve next year and gain some more respect from what we have done this year. Great year girls!
    Good post, I agree ...

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
      Just to play devil's advocate, if Griffin was already getting hers then whoever was guarding her wasn't doing much anyways, why not put Jill in there? She'll at least be an offensive upgrade.
      Because Griffin & Morrow were taking away Jill's shots!

Jill is a freshman---she's an outstanding player, but by no means a complete one (more's the pity)

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        I think even Jill herself would tell you to relax.
        Maybe, and maybe it would be good advice.

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        AJ's up for coach of the year and you're on here making comments like it was a 10th grade game? Really?? Come on?
        No, if Aaron Johnston was coaching at the tenth-grade level, it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

He doesn't seem to have the ability to evaluate the basketball IQ of individual players, and he's wasting it where it exists by micromanaging the offense. I think the "Coach Of The Year" stuff has gone to his head.
        facebook.com/kurt.evans.70

"I want you to play like you're loved. Play freely. Love isn't dependent on your performance. No matter how you play, you are loved. Play with that in mind."
        —Scott Nagy

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt_Evans View Post
          Maybe, and maybe it would be good advice.

No, if Aaron Johnston was coaching at the tenth-grade level, it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

He doesn't seem to have the ability to evaluate the basketball IQ of individual players, and he's wasting it where it exists by micromanaging the offense. I think the "Coach Of The Year" stuff has gone to his head.
          You've got to be kidding me? Have you ever talked to AJ? The guy knows his basketball and there is no way he would let something like COY go to his head. Doesn't have the ability to evaluate basketball IQ of players? And you are? My God man, get a clue before you throw out accusations like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt_Evans
            Take away the two bad foul calls, and I didn't see Jill's defense cost us anything tonight. Our offense, on the other hand, looked anemic without her.
            Look, seeings how you posted a picture of her from 7th grade, I'm assuming you've followed her for years, so I'm going to cut you some slack...

She could not get open on offense, and she didn't match up well on defense.

If you were to call her up, at this very instant (heck, they're probably back in Brookings by now) and ask her about her play, I bet you dollars to donuts she'd say the same thing I just did.

She couldn't get open, and was giving up too much size on the Baylor #2.

----

Ketty Cornemann had to sit with 2 fouls in 4 minutes (including one hopelessly cheap one), which meant that she couldn't switch out to cover the Baylor #2 on defense the way she did against TCU.

Ketty out meant that the Jacks needed a #2 that could matchup to Baylor's #2 as Macie & Muck neutralized Morrow.

----

Finally, Jill is not the key to SDSU's offense. She's not even a starter.

She is an outstanding player, but she has not yet learned to make scoring opportunities for herself at this level--especially against an opponent of this caliber.

What you saw from Warkenthien tonight was the Jacks exploiting their advantage against Baylor (the low post). That was the advantage that Baylor gave SDSU and they took it.

The flip side is that the advantage SDSU gave Baylor was the #2, and they took it.

Comment

No one should be expected to neutralize a player who's on fire, and no one did, so why bench arguably your most dangerous offensive player—and second best player overall—as opposed to one of the other defenders who's getting schooled?
              Kurt, none of what you said is realistic:

1) Young was not 'on fire', that's fan myth not game reality. Jill had an outstanding game against TCU, but as -any- player on the team will tell you, you start over from scratch at the beginning of the next game.

The Jacks -suffocated- Baylor on defense for the first 10 minutes and scored incredibly well from the paint on offense throughout the entire game.

2) Warkenthien was SDSU's most dangerous player and she proved it tonight.

3) I don't think, for an instant, that Jill would agree with an assertion that she's the 'second best player overall.' It's not supportable by any means. She's the latest in a succession of absolutely fantastic freshmen for the Jacks, but the Jacks have more seasoned and more complete players ahead of her.

Comment

Able to evaluate basketball IQ? Yes, I think so.
                Good. Call up Chicoine and see if they're hiring.

Or call up Jill's dad and compare notes.
                Last edited by zooropa; 03-25-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  Finally, Jill is not the key to SDSU's offense.
                  The offense is substantially better when Jill is on the court.

She's not even a starter.
                  I don't mind that. She's a freshman. But she did make the Summit League's all-tourney team, and she was ESPN's player of the game in the first round of the NCAA tournament. I hope you aren't suggesting she's not one of our five best offensive players.

She is an outstanding player, but she has not yet learned to make scoring opportunities for herself at this level--especially against an opponent of this caliber.
                  Nobody wins one-versus-five. When Jill isn't getting scoring opportunities for herself, she's making them for her teammates.

"I want you to play like you're loved. Play freely. Love isn't dependent on your performance. No matter how you play, you are loved. Play with that in mind."
                  —Scott Nagy

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt_Evans View Post
                    When Jill isn't getting scoring opportunities for herself, she's making them for her teammates.
                    Go watch the game tape. The Bears weren't doubling up Jill or trapping her. They neutralized her with a man defense which means that she wasn't 'creating other scoring opportunities.'

Comment

Kurt, none of what you said is realistic:

1) Young was not 'on fire' ...
                      We were talking about Kelli Griffin there.

2) Warkenthien was SDSU's most dangerous player and she proved it tonight.
                      Jennifer was clearly the team's best player overall. I said Jill was arguably our most dangerous offensive player.

3) I don't think, for an instant, that Jill would agree with an assertion that she's the 'second best player overall.'
                      I don't either, but that doesn't mean she isn't.

It's not supportable by any means.
                      That's absurd. Several strong supporting arguments could be made.

—Scott Nagy

Comment

Like I said, go call Jill's dad and talk it over with him. I'm out of patience with you.

Comment

The Young family seems to have quite a bit more class than I have.
                          Just take a deep breath and imagine how much better Jill is going to be next year.

Comment

Kurt, I've read your posts about Jill Young for several months. In one post you included her picture and made reference to her eyes. For you, Jill Young appears to be more than a basketball player. It's obvious you are dealing with some obsessive behavior here and might need some professional help. I am dead serious.

Comment

I agree 100% with what Cowbell said.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                                Kurt, I've read your posts about Jill Young for several months. In one post you included her picture and made reference to her eyes. For you, Jill Young appears to be more than a basketball player. It's obvious you are dealing with some obsessive behavior here and might need some professional help. I am dead serious.
                                Not to mention posting a picture of her playing when she was according to Kurt a junior high student. That, coupled with the reference to her eyes is disturbing to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                                X