Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Johnston

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    theres a tad bit more people in fargo than in brookings sd.
    That may be, but there aren't 5 times as many graduates from NDSU as there are from SDSU.

Comment

It's all about winning, if they keep winning, the money will start coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
        It's all about winning, if they keep winning, the money will start coming in.
        I'd say we've been winning a lot the last 3-4 years in the marquee sports. Certainly winning just as much as NDSU has so I'd say winning doesn't neccesarily equate to giving.

If people aren't ready to give just yet, I would highly suggest purchasing season tickets for next year. That is a great way to support and help fund Jackrabbit athletics. Plus, you get something for your money!

Comment

Let me be more specific. They need to win in the tournament, that's how all the mid-majors end up getting the big donations.

Comment

After reading about the Gophers Womens struggles in the Big Ten, there are lots of fans calling for Coach Borten to be given the axe. With AJ's succes in recruiting in MN and also with his success against the Big Ten, I would think that the U of M may be willing to dangle a carrot in front of the head Rabbit at SDSU! GOSH I HOPE NOT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan 93 View Post
              After reading about the Gophers Womens struggles in the Big Ten, there are lots of fans calling for Coach Borten to be given the axe. With AJ's succes in recruiting in MN and also with his success against the Big Ten, I would think that the U of M may be willing to dangle a carrot in front of the head Rabbit at SDSU! GOSH I HOPE NOT!!!
              I don't think so. The Gophers are 11-7 in the conference tied for 5th and 19-10 overall. Borton recently signed an extension and very doubtful she is going anywhere. I do think if the Gophers job ever did open up as a Minnesota native AJ would certainly be interested.

Comment

yeah, I believe she is signed out for six years now.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Coach AJ is a rock star on campus. He makes huge dollars for a town like Brookings. He seems to like the small town atmosphere. Everyone knows him by name. I thinks he will stay.

Comment

I don't know AJ, nor will I even speculate what makes him tick. That said, ponder this...

AJ has the potential to average winning 25 games per year here at SDSU for the balance of his career. That would push him to the neighborhood of 1,000 victories for his career. Pat Summitt recently crossed that threshold and she started head coaching when she was 22.

Coach Don Meyer at Northern State has proved that you can have an illustrious career at smaller schools and still be recognized on a national basis. He may not make the major dollars that D-I coaches make, but the book deals and coaching clinics can make for a very comfortable living.

Money could ultimately make the difference in the future for AJ. Pat Summitt was able to start young and built an extraordinary program at a single institution. She also was able to do it a program that is second to none - including professional women sports. On top of that, she was the first women's coach to ever make $1 million in a season when she did that in 2006. That contract will grow to $1.5 million in three years. Those contracts are few and far between in women's sports, but it could be attainable for AJ.

I've passed up opportunities for more money in my career because it did not fit with my family's goals or desires. However, more money for my career would more realistic in the neighborhood of $100,000 per year short term and never in the spectrum that AJ could reach.

I'm not the envious type, but it must feel awfully good to be in the position that AJ is in. Doing something you love, getting tons of respect from the masses, and getting paid well. Enjoy the ride AJ, you have earned it!

Comment

At the bottom of the blog is a place you can vote for coach of the year. AJ is listed at the bottom of the poll.

You can vote here.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I don't think so. The Gophers are 11-7 in the conference tied for 5th and 19-10 overall. Borton recently signed an extension and very doubtful she is going anywhere. I do think if the Gophers job ever did open up as a Minnesota native AJ would certainly be interested.
                        Of course AJ would be interested in the Gophers job. We almost lost him to UW-GB until he remembered what a special thing he has going on in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          At the bottom of the blog is a place you can vote for coach of the year. AJ is listed at the bottom of the poll.

You can vote here.
                          I just voted. It has him in first place so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post

You can vote here.
                            Johnston is still winning this survey... SDSUFans.com Power?

Comment

He's got my vote, too. He's still ahead.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                Johnston is still winning this survey... SDSUFans.com Power?
                                Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X