Coach Johnston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Johnston

I just went to your website and looked at Coach Johnston's bio. Very impressive. Does your fan base worry about keeping him? In all sincereity, he has great credentials and appears to me to look like a great candidate for a Big 12 / Big 10 school.

Re: Coach Johnston

Sigh.

Been through this before.

Q: Isn't AJ going somewhere soon?

A: You don't realize how good he's got it here. He does. He told the Rochester Post-Bulletin he sees himself at SDSU for 'a while'

Q: What about the money?

A: It's not that big in WBB.

Q: But...... BCS?????

A: SDSU outdraws half the BCS, has a higher GPA than the entire BCS, and is presently ranked ahead of over half the BCS. What BCS? Is the short answer.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Sigh.

A: You don't realize how good he's got it here. He does. He told the Rochester Post-Bulletin he sees himself at SDSU for 'a while'

A: SDSU outdraws half the BCS, has a higher GPA than the entire BCS, and is presently ranked ahead of over half the BCS. What BCS? Is the short answer.
      Says it all

Comment

Sigh.

I was asking because I didn't know. Didn'tmean to make you sigh. Actually money in WBB in the Big 12 is big. The coach at Iowa State makes $250,000 plus camps and endorsements.

I wasn't trying to stir trouble. Today is the first day I looked at his bio and saw that it was impressive. And by the way, it's alot easier to negotiate a higher package if the other party believes you are extremely happy where you are. Ask your volleyball coach from 2007.

I hope you keep him.

Comment

Yoteforever,
          The answer to your question is yes we do worry about losing him. We will do everything we can to keep him, however, I think all SDSU fans realize that we aren't going to be able to match the money of BCS schools, so we will do what we can. As for the money not being that big in WBB, that is correct when compared to men's, but the money in most BCS schools is big when compared to what we will be able to pay.

If there had been a BCS school rep at the last Sioux Empire Staters luncheon, they would have gone back and told the school do what ever it takes. His basketball coaching skills are obvious based on his record, but he also is unbelievable in working a crowd and individuals.

At some point, I know that AJ will move on and that will be a sad day for SDSU. And for his comment about staying, what else is he really going to say. If he says he is looking to move on, no more recruits committing to him here. If he says anything stronger about staying longer at SDSU, it looks like he is trying to hard and must be covering up something.

I just plan on enjoying it while it lasts.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

And i am not sure Coach Johnston will leave. I just look at Robin Selvig at Montana. He has been there for 31 years and has over 700 wins. I am sure he could have left for a bigger school years ago.

Comment

You are correct, I should have stated that I believe he will move on at some point.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                money in WBB in the Big 12 is big. The coach at Iowa State makes $250,000 plus camps and endorsements.
                AJ makes c. $120k give or take, and (I would imagine) has a heckuva lot more control over what he does.

Plus, I don't think he'd be able to recruit to his strengths at Iowa State.

What people that take a cursory glance at this program don't realize is that AJ, Melum, etc., excel at player development. They've turned this program into a program with a capital P.

You take AJ and put him in the middle of the Des Moines metro, competing against Drake, Iowa, and UNI for Iowa recruits, practically in the back yard of Nebraska, Mizzou, Kansas, and K-State, and then try and build the same program of teachable, responsible, honor-student kids that bring an outstanding work ethic (and a sufficient measure of talent) to the court.

Not going to happen, and I'm pretty sure AJ knows that.

Comment

Not going to happen, and I'm pretty sure AJ knows that.
                  You know that as much as I "knew" that AJ was going to leave at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    I just went to your website and looked at Coach Johnston's bio. Very impressive. Does your fan base worry about keeping him? In all sincereity, he has great credentials and appears to me to look like a great candidate for a Big 12 / Big 10 school.
                    Well, we almost lost him last year. I talked to AJ after the game on Saturday night and the guy seemed as happy as he could be. I doubt he'll be chasing money, fame, or any of the other vain features so many others think life is ultimately about. He loves to take talented young men and women who have the desire to be the best they can be and help them achieve just that. He makes enough money to live extremely comfortably and he has essentially earned the right to be in control of every aspect of the program. I doubt he is going to be going anywhere but you never know.

If AJ left would the sky fall? I don't think so. Its easy as an outsider, especially a USD fan to just assume that all the success is attributable to AJ alone. That simply isn't the case. The fan base and administration at SDSU have been staunch supporters of the women's basketball program and I don't think you can guarantee the same kind of support elsewhere. It works both ways in most successful careers. About the time YOU start thinking YOU are better than the whole YOU find out it takes a lot more than just a coach, administrator, manager, etc... to make a successful team.

I, for one, sure don't want AJ to go anywhere but I don't sit up at night worrying about it. If he goes, he goes and The Jackrabbits go on from there. Again, I talked to him Saturday night and he doesn't seem like a guy anxious for an "offer he can't refuse".
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      You know that as much as I "knew" that AJ was going to leave at some time.
                      I hope AJ sees something besides dollar signs and decides to build a dynasty at SDSU.

But I think Jackrabbit fans can and should pony up if we're serious about keeping him around. Getting him a third assistant coach would be nice, too.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I hope AJ sees something besides dollar signs and decides to build a dynasty at SDSU.

But I think Jackrabbit fans can and should pony up if we're serious about keeping him around. Getting him a third assistant coach would be nice, too.
                        I would say "keep ponying up", if you know what I mean. I don't think AJ feels under appreciated and thats a HUGE part of job/life satisfaction.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

AJ won't leave. He felt bad about what happened awhile back. The biggest thing is he wants to be here. Gotta like someone who likes to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Well, we almost lost him last year. I talked to AJ after the game on Saturday night and the guy seemed as happy as he could be. I doubt he'll be chasing money, fame, or any of the other vain features so many others think life is ultimately about. He loves to take talented young men and women who have the desire to be the best they can be and help them achieve just that. He makes enough money to live extremely comfortably and he has essentially earned the right to be in control of every aspect of the program. I doubt he is going to be going anywhere but you never know.

If AJ left would the sky fall? I don't think so. Its easy as an outsider, especially a USD fan to just assume that all the success is attributable to AJ alone. That simply isn't the case. The fan base and administration at SDSU have been staunch supporters of the women's basketball program and I don't think you can guarantee the same kind of support elsewhere. It works both ways in most successful careers. About the time YOU start thinking YOU are better than the whole YOU find out it takes a lot more than just a coach, administrator, manager, etc... to make a successful team.

I, for one, sure don't want AJ to go anywhere but I don't sit up at night worrying about it. If he goes, he goes and The Jackrabbits go on from there. Again, I talked to him Saturday night and he doesn't seem like a guy anxious for an "offer he can't refuse".

You know jackmd, I have been on your website being positive and encouraging your teams to do well, because that's how I feel about it. Then you make the comment that since I am from USD I attribute it only to the coach. C'mon doc, gimme a break. I know sports as well as you do. It never is just one component. There are several factors that go into it. You have named some and there are more.

Your hatred for USD just shines on this board, and I have been pulling for your team. I don't care if you ever cheer for the 'Yotes or not, I really don't, just don't make USD fans seem shallow and inferior to you. I am working on putting a contingent to come to the Arena and cheer for your teams in the Summit tourney, but you almost make me want not to do that. I will hope that you someday will do what's best for the state of South Dakota and overcome your silly pride and hatred of USD.

Personally speaking, I think if you keep Coach AJ (as you call him) that's awesome. That's a great story with an awesome byline.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                              AJ won't leave. He felt bad about what happened awhile back. The biggest thing is he wants to be here. Gotta like someone who likes to be here.

Well said................and AMEN

Comment

Working...
                              X