• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gonzaga Game Thread

I can add only one word: AMAZING.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      I hope the Jacks have next years schedule pretty much rapped up cause the way it's looking I don't think any one is going to want to play them and have a quaranteed loss on the record. This team is only going to get stronger and stronger. The best Big Ten team not in the Big Ten. Come Monday and Tuesday a lot of girls heads in the midwest are going to be turning from Drake, Minn, Wisc, Iowa, Iowa St, Neb, Creighton, and the Kansas schools to little old Brookings, SD and SDSU and saying "I want to go there".
      Actually, it's a bit more subtle than that. Good programs will want to play SDSU because even if they lose, it's not a "bad loss." And if you win, it will be a "good win." The RPI with all it's flaws is still a major input to the NCAA tournament selection process. You'd much rather lose to a high-RPI team than to a low RPI team, if you're trying to make the tournament field. Minnesota's loss to SDSU won't hurt them very much at all come March with the selection committee, if SDSU continues rolling on.

So what will happen is that the weaker programs will steer away from SDSU, but the stronger ones--ones that think they have a legitimate shot at making the Tournament--will actually prefer to play us over a weaker program. (Since there are many more weak programs than really strong ones, the net effect is to make scheduling harder, but that's balanced somewhat by the fact that some programs will start calling you, rather than you having to work for all of your games.

Meanwhile, as you say, those high school girl's basketball seniors throughout the Upper Midwest and the North Plains who hadn't previously seriously considered SDSU as a top-flight program will be sitting up an taking renewed notice.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Actually, it's a bit more subtle than that. Good programs will want to play SDSU because even if they lose, it's not a "bad loss." And if you win, it will be a "good win." The RPI with all it's flaws is still a major input to the NCAA tournament selection process. You'd much rather lose to a high-RPI team than to a low RPI team, if you're trying to make the tournament field. Minnesota's loss to SDSU won't hurt them very much at all come March with the selection committee, if SDSU continues rolling on.

So what will happen is that the weaker programs will steer away from SDSU, but the stronger ones--ones that think they have a legitimate shot at making the Tournament--will actually prefer to play us over a weaker program. (Since there are many more weak programs than really strong ones, the net effect is to make scheduling harder, but that's balanced somewhat by the fact that some programs will start calling you, rather than you having to work for all of your games.

Meanwhile, as you say, those high school girl's basketball seniors throughout the Upper Midwest and the North Plains who hadn't previously seriously considered SDSU as a top-flight program will be sitting up an taking renewed notice.
        Good info. Somebody rep Filbert for me.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I echo JJ's comments. The points made by filbert had not dawned on me -- they make excellent sense.

I suppose the Jackrabbits can even get a little picky and start demanding some of the team travel to Frost.

A couple seasons ago we snapped Nebraska's opening-home-game win streak (it was 24 consecutive years!) and I didn't think Nebraska would ever invite us back. Now, if Nebraska comes calling -- and they really should-- since we have to be mindful of RPI points, our schedulers may have reason to say "no, thanks" for a trip to Lincoln, or "maybe" to a visit from the Huskers. The Huskers are 8-2 this year after a win yesterday against Long Beach State. I think we can claim to have had a tougher schedule thus far.

Comment

Filbert does make some good points, however at this stage of our transition, coupled with the fact that we actually haven't done anything in the NCAA tournament YET, I think it will be a couple of years before we see real noticeable changes. As of now, it is still rare to get a BCS school to come to Frost. We are starting to get there, but if you look back at Gonzaga men's and how they rose to recognition, they had several years of "playing anywhere" to get the reputation they now have. The other thing that we will battle is that our RPI will inevitably fall during the conference schedule, while other schools that are not as good as us will rise because of their conference schedule.

Not saying that Filbert is wrong, but just wanted to point out that this is a multi-year process. When the transition was announced, I thought every decision should be made on the basis of how it would make us competitive in 5 years to get to post-season eligibility. For the next 5 years all decisions should be made to make us post-season "expected." I think the women's bb program has moved the schedule up a little.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I suppose the Jackrabbits can even get a little picky and start demanding some of the team travel to Frost.
              I don't think this will work...no one will want to play us if we tell them only some of their team can come...I'm sure opponents will want to bring their whole team.

I kid of course, I knew where you were going.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

ometime the key between a and d tick

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  ometime the key between a and d tick
                  clever. you got me there for a econd.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Good info. Somebody rep Filbert for me.
                    Rep someone else, instead of reping Filbert for every comment!

With Love! TATS

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post

With Love! TATS
                      yeah, especially because I can rep myself whenever I want to.

But It Would Be Wrong.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post

With Love! TATS
                        I'll rep who I want to rep. Got anything constructive to add to this thread?
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I still like pie!
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I'll rep who I want to rep. Got anything constructive to add to this thread?
                            Does anybody? Oh Yea, I Like Pie Too.

Comment

Working...
                            X