Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Any updates on where Ashley will be playing next year. I knew she was a great basketball player, but did not know how much she excels off the court. She will be a wonderful addition to any university.
    I just hope she picks soon so we can all move on. I wish her the best wherever and whatever she decides to do with her future.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Add another award to Shaunteva Ashley's growing list, sure wish that we'd hear what they are doing with that scholarship that is still out there....? Good luck where ever she goes.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...02/1002/sports

Congrat to all the girls!

Comment

Originally posted by basketballfaithful View Post
        Add another award to Shaunteva Ashley's growing list, sure wish that we'd hear what they are doing with that scholarship that is still out there....? Good luck where ever she goes.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...02/1002/sports

Congrat to all the girls!

In the story it says

"An upcoming family visit to NCAA Division I Valparaiso will likely be the end of the information-gathering process. Augustana, St. Cloud State and the University of Sioux Falls are also in the running."

With only one D-I school looking at her, if they are looking at her, (is this an offical visit or is the term "family visit" important) I'd say the chances of her being a Jack aren't great.

Good luck and congrats to her.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          I'd say the chances of her being a Jack aren't great.
          Has there ever been any indication the Jacks were interested? I thought she was not being recruited by SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Has there ever been any indication the Jacks were interested? I thought she was not being recruited by SDSU.
            Not that I know of. Just responding to what seems like basketballfaithful's wishful thinking.

Comment

With the contact period ending this coming Thursday, it looks more and more like SDSU might look for a player from the 2011 class. Alex Kneeland from Summit is a work horse and she has been a force for the Dakota Schoolers in the summer time. I'd imagine she'd be in the running.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                With the contact period ending this coming Thursday, it looks more and more like SDSU might look for a player from the 2011 class. Alex Kneeland from Summit is a work horse and she has been a force for the Dakota Schoolers in the summer time. I'd imagine she'd be in the running.
                That's probably a good assumption - most of the "difference maker" type recruits commit during the early signing period in November. Then again,the coaching staff might be in on a player that no one here has ever heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  That's probably a good assumption - most of the "difference maker" type recruits commit during the early signing period in November. Then again,the coaching staff might be in on a player that no one here has ever heard of.
                  I've heard rumors of a JC transfer but I can't get anyone who is a reliable source to confirm or deny. I can't think of any JC transfers at SDSU. In fact, I haven't ever even thought about the option and don't know how often it happens at any school. Again, its a rumor and for now nothing more than that.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I've heard rumors of a JC transfer but I can't get anyone who is a reliable source to confirm or deny. I can't think of any JC transfers at SDSU. In fact, I haven't ever even thought about the option and don't know how often it happens at any school. Again, its a rumor and for now nothing more than that.
                    I 've heard the same from a couple of different Jacks fans. Apparently there was a JC girl on campus a couple of times. We will find out in a couple of weeks. Is there not an early signing period in April? If you look at some of the teams rosters the Jacks have played there have been a few JC players. I am thinking a JC point guard with foot speed.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                      I 've heard the same from a couple of different Jacks fans. Apparently there was a JC girl on campus a couple of times. We will find out in a couple of weeks. Is there not an early signing period in April? If you look at some of the teams rosters the Jacks have played there have been a few JC players. I am thinking a JC point guard with foot speed.

GBGBGJ
                      Gabi Hungerford of Madison Area Technical College was recently named MVP of the 2010 NJCAA Division III tournament, which Madison won. She started off her career off at the University of Detroit Mercy (Horizon League). Get this, the Division III tournament was in Rochester, Minnesota, which makes it very possible for the coaching staff to make the trip to watch her play without having to spend a lot of money. D-III doesn't allow athletic scholarships, so most D-3 jucos are academic scholars. Just putting two and two together, she might be the juco player we are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                        Gabi Hungerford of Madison Area Technical College was recently named MVP of the 2010 NJCAA Division III tournament, which Madison won. She started off her career off at the University of Detroit Mercy (Horizon League). Get this, the Division III tournament was in Rochester, Minnesota, which makes it very possible for the coaching staff to make the trip to watch her play without having to spend a lot of money. D-III doesn't allow athletic scholarships, so most D-3 jucos are academic scholars. Just putting two and two together, she might be the juco player we are looking at.
                        After reading your post I did a little google search on Gabi Hungerford and it appears she's already been to three colleges:
                        *Detroit Mercy
                        *D3 Augustana in Rock Island, IL...got this from the following link and from her former AAU team website (Wisconsin and Viking Club)
                        http://www.augustana.edu/x10874.xmll
                        *JUCO Madison Tech

I certainly do not know the circumstances for her being at three college institutions already but from the outside looking in it throws up some red flags. Not judging anyone, just red flags raise when this occurs.

Comment

Three class shootout in Salem Fri,I think we have just as good of non-committed players in our own back yard with out having to pick up a juco,jus saying, i personaly think Christian Janis is going to be a great one where ever she ends up.She's got everything you could want in a pg.Court savy, instincts, very good shooter.Just to satisfy myself I wasn't overly justified in my high opinion of her, i watched some video on you tube of "best pg girls".I think Christian matches or exceeds any of those girls.I particularly am impressed with her ability to break on the pass to intercept it.She seems to me ,anyway ,of "studying" her opponents for a weakness as the game goes on & she exploits it with a well thought out steal.She's moving full speed before the player even fully releases the ball.Once an arm motion is in progress, the mind can't react fast enough to stop a pass.She can drive all the way to the hoop,she draws defenders to her like glue, witch accounts for all the assists she has to her team mates, excellent at keeping the ball away from attempted blocks,...like Jenn W,she can lay it up with ease using either hand.Did I mention she's fast?She gets defenders dizzy trying to defend her,can get them to go any direction she wants.This might be a stretch, but she reminds me of Becky Hammon in some ways.If she can do just half the stuff in a jackrabbit uniform as she shows in her highlite reel, she'll put butts in the seats just because she's local & so much fun to watch play.If we don't get her, I'll have to see if she excels wherever she goes or if i'm just way off base & don't have a clue to what a good pg is.Not to knock Macy, i think they would both benefit from learning from each other, & Macy would definately be the "starter" next yr, but you have to rest her sometimes.Oh,there are other players there worth watching also, maybe Rachel Walters?
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-31-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            Three class shootout in Salem Fri,I think we have just as good of non-committed players in our own back yard with out having to pick up a juco,jus saying, i personaly think Christian Janis is going to be a great one where ever she ends up.She's got everything you could want in a pg.Court savy, instincts, very good shooter.Just to satisfy myself I wasn't justified in my high opinion of her, i watched some video on you tube of "best pg girls".I think Christian matches or exceeds any of those girls.I particularly am impressed with her ability to break on the pass to intercept it.She seems to me ,anyway ,of "studying" her opponents for a weakness as the game goes on & she exploits it with a well thought out steal.She's moving full speed before the player even fully releases the ball.Once an arm motion is in progress, the mind can't react fast enough to stop a pass.She can drive all the way to the hoop,she draws defenders to her like glue, witch accounts for all the assists she has to her team mates, excellent at keeping the ball away from attempted blocks,...like Jenn W,she can lay it up with ease using either hand.Did I mention she's fast?She gets defenders dizzy trying to defend her,can get them to go any direction she wants.This might be a stretch, but she reminds me of Becky Hammon in some ways.If she can do just half the stuff in a jackrabbit uniform as she shows in her highlite reel, she'll put butts in the seats just because she's so much fun to watch play.If we don't get her, I'll have to see if she excels wherever she goes or if i'm just way off base & don't have a clue to what a good pg is.Not to knock Macy, i think they would both benefit from learning from each other, & Macy would definately be the "starter" next yr, but you have to rest her sometimes.
                            I think you have to be careful about becoming to enamored with some of the stats that Christian has produced and consider the level of competition she competed against. Will be interesting to see how she does in the shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                              After reading your post I did a little google search on Gabi Hungerford and it appears she's already been to three colleges:
                              *Detroit Mercy
                              *D3 Augustana in Rock Island, IL...got this from the following link and from her former AAU team website (Wisconsin and Viking Club)
                              http://www.augustana.edu/x10874.xmll
                              *JUCO Madison Tech

I certainly do not know the circumstances for her being at three college institutions already but from the outside looking in it throws up some red flags. Not judging anyone, just red flags raise when this occurs.
                              I saw that too, that she commited to Augustana in Illinois. However, my guess is that she ended up not going because there was nothing other than that announcement that she was going there and also JUCO's doesn't allow anyone who has played two seasons to play. Division III has no athletic scholarships (which Augustana of Illinois is) so there is no penalty or stipulations that would associated by changing her mind. She put up some good numbers and was the best player on the best team in NJCAA Division III. Granted it's not the same as the other two NJCAA divisions, DIII players have some quality athletes on the top teams.

I think you have to be careful about becoming to enamored with some of the stats that Christian has produced and consider the level of competition she competed against. Will be interesting to see how she does in the shootout.
                              She scored 31 points and had 6 threes against Rapid City Stevens..varsity (in a close game). As far as I can tell, that is the most points scored and number of threes made against Stevens all season. According to the RC Journal article I read, the game was close until Stevens pulled away on free throws in the final minute. Coach DeBoer of Stevens also said she was the best guard in the state. No matter where she ends up, I think she will develop into an excellent player.

Comment

How tall is Christian Janis? I watched a couple of videos online and the thing I noticed about her was her passing and ball handling. At the end you find out she made more 3's in one season than anyone in State A history.

Now I know she did not play AA ball and her competition is poor, that is just a statement you should have left in your own personal file.

To take the next step in the NCAA tournament we need to get taller at the guard positions and "More Athletic" , b/c length sure can make a person look faster than they are and can help recover quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X